• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is Vera a real northerner Ken? She says 'pet' quite a lot hm

It's taken me all this time to realise that you're probably talking about Vera Duckworth.

'Pet' sounds more Geordie than Mancunian.

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
23 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is Vera a real northerner Ken? She says 'pet' quite a lot hm

It's taken me all this time to realise that you're probably talking about Vera Duckworth.

'Pet' sounds more Geordie than Mancunian.

....Stanhope actually....

9D_01_COMICS_TO_ASTONISH.jpg

I had considered posting this in the AF 15 homage cover thread, but as I’ve disclosed here that I’m not that northern, any attempt at claiming regional favouritism would’ve sounded quite false.

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

9D_01_COMICS_TO_ASTONISH.jpg

I had considered posting this in the AF 15 homage cover thread, but as I’ve disclosed here that I’m not that northern, any attempt at claiming regional favouritism would’ve sounded quite false.

Post it!

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:19 AM, kdoginohio said:

Will the TARDIS have issues with the new Doctor, seeing that they both are feminine?

No. But they're both going to have issues with Bradley Walsh.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. Three generations back my family are East Anglian.

I’m living a lie.

Which part of East Anglia? If it's above the Watford Gap then no, you're a genuine Northerner.

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

Here...Marwood this is what I think of your stinking artwork!!!!!

24000794_drwhoidiot.gif.78608a2842bd1cf04daf50283b117406.gif

You rotter :bigsmile:

59 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Only kidding Steve did you watch the new Doctor I was not disappointed and I've watched from day one.

download.jpg

See below

53 minutes ago, kagenish said:

so i'll take it was really good

No. I can't even begin to describe the unmitigated horror I've just watched. Devoid of humour, pacing, danger, excitement. Appalling ---script. Unbelievable characters reacting in ways that fail to ring true. No story. A 'monster' without any significance.  Shoe horned in moments where we are meant to magically empathise with an unbelievable companion we've known for 3 minutes. Not one single meaningful nod to history. 

Inexplicably, no titles. But don't worry, they'll come at the end when she enters the Tardis  - we all want to see the Tardis right - dons the costume, turns to the camera and announces triumphantly, "I am the Doctor! In comes the new theme and credits - cue massive adrenalin rush. No, they didn't do that. We get the new theme with the end credits and with, inexplicably, a list of actors names who will be in future episodes. While you're trying to gauge whether you like the new theme or not. 

Jodie is a fine actor. Great in Broadchurch.  But she is not a 'Doctor' actor. Speaking lines randomly very fast doesn't make you a Doctor. Early days of course but I did not detect one scintilla of the Doctor in her portrayal. No gravitas. No presence. No mystery. 

Compare this to Capaldi's exit story. I can't find the words to articulate the difference in class on every level between that and this. I have loved the Doctor for over 40 years. He. Is. Dead.

I wanted to hate it, if I'm honest, but suspected I'd love it. Or at least be excited to see what will come. But I hated it. I am a 50 year old rational long term fan. And I hated it. Because it wasn't Doctor Who. What it was,  was terrible. It wasn't even bad Doctor Who. It was appalling something else. It may as well have been a particularly badly executed episode of Casualty with an alien in it. 

Total, utter, unmitigated rubbish.  

A character who I have loved for so long has been sacrificed on the alter of political correctness, and presented by amateurs without flair or intelligence. 

And everyone will say it's 'great, new refreshing'. Capaldi was 'getting stale' I read. I hate the world and all these cretins who can't make a programme that entertains with all that they have at their disposal.

I did like her outfit though. Shame that the only clue that we were looking at the Doctor was in the outfit, not the actor. 

In context, I'm gutted.

Edited by Get Marwood & I Live!
Death to the Daleks!

Absolute rubbish. Marwood, you hit the nail on the head when you said "it wasn't Doctor Who". It was more like one of those poorly imagined Dr Who spin offs. Probably the worst start for a new Doctor since McCoy... or even Eccleston  :smirk: 

Whittaker needs to work on her delivery. The writers need to work on their ideas. The only thing going for it is it took nearly a whole season with Capaldi to get it right. It might be salvageable.

12 minutes ago, Batman said:

Absolute rubbish. Marwood, you hit the nail on the head when you said "it wasn't Doctor Who". It was more like one of those poorly imagined Dr Who spin offs. Probably the worst start for a new Doctor since McCoy... or even Eccleston  :smirk: 

Whittaker needs to work on her delivery. The writers need to work on their ideas. The only thing going for it is it took nearly a whole season with Capaldi to get it right. It might be salvageable.

I agree that Capaldi was let down in the first season by the ill judged 'make him unappealing' writing approach. I believe that decision,  and the shunting of the show about the schedules impacted the publics perception of him. But at no time (heh heh) was he not the Doctor. Peter Capaldi was born Doctor Who. The embodiment of Doctor Who. He transcended that I'll judged writing direction. I could watch him in the very worst story and still find something to like in his portrayal. He can read the telephone directory and it would sound intelligent / mysterious. Whittaker reads the lines of an intelligent being without conveying their meaning. My Mum could read the Doctors lines - and she'd sound like my Mum reading someone else's lines. Eccleston - great actor. Didn't understand the Doctor. Read the lines. Tennant - owned the lines. Smith - old man in young body. Nailed it. Totally. Sheer ball of engaging energy. Whittaker - reads the lines, acts the zaniness. I'm watching Jodie Whittaker acting, not performing. 

I say this a lot in life. A group of people came together in a room, tasked with 'reinventing' Doctor Who. If I had them in a room now, I am confident that I would kick them all around it for the shambles they contrived to deliver tonight. 

A bad painter and decorator gets paint on your sofa. A bad plumber leaves your pipe leaking. A bad chef gives you food poisoning. This episode was put together by people bad at their jobs. At no time did they seem to consider the need for a satisfying story with pace, energy, truth. New Doctor openers are usually poor, concentrating on introduction above story telling. The monster / villain is often forgettable. But this was taking it to a hitherto unchartered level of mediocrity. Did your pulse quicken once? Was the "I'm the Doctor,  get off this planet!" line not so worn out now that you cringed when she said it? 

My nephew makes films. He understands the industry.  How programmes are made. He can tell good writing,  scripts,  acting,  staging and the dynamics that contribute to a satisfying experience on film. He was more scathing than me. 

You look around in your life and tell me how any times you see people in roles they shouldn't be in. Writing cheques their talent can't cash. How did they get that gig, you ask yourself? 

It will take some pretty extraordinarily good stories, and a steep uplift in acting and characterisation to salvage this tosh. I like Bradley Walsh. Great actor in Law and Order. They managed to make him unreal and dislikable here. No mean feat.