• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Tom Baker was a fantastic presence of a man. That voice - a true one off. The Doctor has to command the screen, not just be another face in the crowd. Or one of a 'very flat team structure'.

Yep, Tom Baker and his amazing voice was definitely a one-off.  The kind of performance Colin Baker was aiming for but failing miserably at.  I think Col was better suited for pantomime . . . playing Widow Twankey or something similar.

Edited by The Voord

13 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Yep, Tom Baker and his amazing voice was definitely a one-off.  The kind of performance Colin Baker was aiming for but failing miserably at.  I think Col was better suited for pantomime . . . playing Widow Twankey or something similar.

Oh no he wasn't! 

Sorry. 

9 minutes ago, The Voord said:

I'd forgot.  Col actually did have a pantomime presence!  AND he got to wear better costumes!

I'm sure he continued with his ham performances . . .

Col 3.jpg

Fleshcreep! lol

Lets' be fair, Colin is by all accounts a lovely man and he did his best in an era when the 'mythology' of the character was nothing like what it is today. That's why I don't compare the two eras, as they are completely different and of their 'time'.

Doctor Who has been a great source of pleasure for me all my life and I don't like to be critical of it - I want it to be brilliant. Tennant, Smith and Capaldi all had terrible episodes. But you could forgive them, knowing the next would likely be great and - anyway - they were such engaging personalities to watch, even in dross.

I cant say the same for the latest incarnation, alas, and that is a real shame for me. Just the wrong production team and lead unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Octavius said:

Personally I think that the final three Doctors of the original run found a better audience, better stories and performances in their ongoing audio books.

I haven't listened to any but would like to - any recommendations Otto? 

When I watched the Doctor Who season on The Horror Channel a while back, I was surprised to discover that the McCoy period had some very good stories, and that he actually developed into quite a manipulative character.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

When I watched the Doctor Who season on The Horror Channel a while back, I was surprised to discover that the McCoy period had some very good stories, and that he actually developed into quite a manipulative character.

During the original transmission of the McCoy stories I'd been kind of turned-off by Dr Who thanks in no small part to the cringe-inducing Col Baker era.  In recent years I had a sweep through my DVD sets of the McCoy era.  Still not convinced that McCoy was an inspired piece of casting but, yeah, some of his stories were actually quite good for their time (not great, but watchable).

Not making a conscious attempt at trying to compare the original series with the current one, Get Marwood and I, other than to make the observation that we're now in a similar situation with quality control.  Like you, I WANT the show to be good but am not enamoured of Whittaker's performance in the role (and am not overly-fussed on the companions).  Don't have a problem in the world with the idea of casting a female Doctor . . . just want the character to shine (and want some decent scripts that I can enjoy).

18 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Still not convinced that McCoy was an inspired piece of casting

I think that he became unsuited because of the way the character developed more and more into a manipulator.  Alternatively, as a save, you could argue that his appearance and outward, superficial personality disguised his gameplay very well.

From what was shown in the TV season I mentioned, I thought the Colin Baker stories were far weaker.

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yes, as I said earlier, there were signs of undercurrents. And quite a few stories were really good with really good ideas and elements. I liked the idea of the clown masking a darker side. 

5 hours ago, The Voord said:

Not making a conscious attempt at trying to compare the original series with the current one, Get Marwood and I, other than to make the observation that we're now in a similar situation with quality control.  Like you, I WANT the show to be good but am not enamoured of Whittaker's performance in the role (and am not overly-fussed on the companions).  Don't have a problem in the world with the idea of casting a female Doctor . . . just want the character to shine (and want some decent scripts that I can enjoy).

Yep. I can think of a number of actresses who would have at least commanded the screen. In a way, it fits that she's so underwhelming, as a good performer would've been cursed by the current stories / production. Thank God, as I said before, Capaldi got out when he did and didn't have to end his tenure trying to rise above this seasons woeful scripts / stories / companions / music / etc.

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I haven't listened to any but would like to - any recommendations Otto? 

The Sirens of Time is the one I would start with, all three Doctors in the one recording, then Last of the Cybermen, and if you want a deep dive into Paul McGann's Doctor, I would also look at Dark Eyes Series 1 and 2.

Half way through 'It takes you away'. The fact that it's half way through, and I'm here, speaks volumes. Talking of volume, the incidental music is more agreeably quiet this week. But, apart from the cave man, who has much potential, the episode is boring. Very boring. More boring than the boring people of Boredom, Boretown. 

There's still time of course,  heh heh, but I haven't noticed this week's PC lecture yet. Maybe they've taken a day off. And JW is as annoying as ever. But there are some really interesting developments in the Whovian legend tonight.  Ha, fooled you. Another episode with zero progression. 

Why has the Solitrack copied their world?  I don't know and I don't care. 

Total, utter, unmitigated, uninventive, unspectacular tedium.

Jesus, fat nans back! Theres an emotional scene and everything. Oh, she's not real. That'll be tough on Graham.

I wish someone would reverse the polarity of the neutron flow and bring this programme I used to watch called 'Doctor Who' back. 

Hold on, Daleks! 

Kidding again. 

Tosh. 

Just now, The Voord said:

Wasn't it good . . . Norwegian wood?

No.

She asked me to stay and then told me to sit anywhere.

So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a plot. 

Or -script.

Etc. 

Might have been more poignant had Team Tardis sang a chorus or two of Paul McCartney's, 'The Frog Song' (We All Stand Together):

Win or lose, sink or swim
One thing is certain we'll never give in
Side by side, hand in hand
We all stand together

Play the game, fight the fight
But what's the point on a beautiful night?
Arm in arm, hand in hand
We all stand together

9 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Might have been more poignant had Team Tardis sang a chorus or two of Paul McCartney's, 'The Frog Song' (We All Stand Together):

Win or lose, sink or swim
One thing is certain we'll never give in
Side by side, hand in hand
We all stand together

Play the game, fight the fight
But what's the point on a beautiful night?
Arm in arm, hand in hand
We all stand together

Bom. Bom bom. Bom bom bom bom bom! 

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe

giphy.gif.d8e8bb40efe60693cfd355876b817e63.gif

It was boring.

I fast-forwarded through it after 25 minutes or so.

I’m wasting my time recording this.

Edited by Ken Aldred