• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

I was just going through eBay,  looking at old Doctor Who stuff. Do you ever do that, and find stuff you used to have and had forgotten about? That flash of remembrance?  "I had that!" It's bittersweet. You remember how it was back then, and you wish you could go back. For some unearthly reason I'm about to bid on a Blakes Seven Monthly #1, which I used to have, and have no good reason to want now. Nostalgia is a powerful force isn't it.  

18 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I was just going through eBay,  looking at old Doctor Who stuff. Do you ever do that, and find stuff you used to have and had forgotten about? That flash of remembrance?  "I had that!" It's bittersweet. You remember how it was back then, and you wish you could go back. For some unearthly reason I'm about to bid on a Blakes Seven Monthly #1, which I used to have, and have no good reason to want now. Nostalgia is a powerful force isn't it.  

I won :)

£4.25 and it's got the original gift too. 

Kerr Avon was a great creation wasn't he. A true one off. One of those rare occasions where the character just works. I loved that show. And how great that it actually ended with them all dying. No happy endings for the crew of the Liberator.  Or Scorpio, wasn't it, at the end. As naff as it undoubtedly was, I felt Avon's pain at the end when he realised Blake had sold him out. Sold him out. 

DescriptiveAdmiredCanvasback-small.gif.26d95e7ac0f9d988220f1dcbb49092b3.gif

That was a very real scene for me. I liked that it ended that way. But I'm sad that the creation that was Avon never went any further. Did he die too at the end? Or did Servalan shoot the guards, and they run off together. I like that we don't know. 

Or do we?

Anyway, a bit off topic there, sorry. So where were we? Oh, thats right. Jodie Whitterer's Doctor? Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

10 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I wouldn't say early cranky Capaldi hated the humans Skylath, but he was certainly less sympathetic to their pathetic tendencies than his prior selves. Although Colin was a grouch too, when he wanted to be. Especially when he wanted to say the same thing twice loudly. 

Back to Capaldi biscuit, how so 'bombed' in your opinion? Give us something to discuss hm

Yeah, I do suppose "hate" is a bit of dicey coin of phrase, though the point is the more judgmental side was prominent for sure, haha.

But later on it felt more or less just Eleventh Doctor rehashes, where they constantly relying on the Daleks, Cybermen, etc. as a crutch for a good chunk of the episodes. I did enjoy the Robin Hood episode early in his run and the finale saying goodbye to Clara was certainly heart touching. I didn't really watch any episodes with Billie though, were those any good?

14 minutes ago, Skylath said:

Yeah, I do suppose "hate" is a bit of dicey coin of phrase, though the point is the more judgmental side was prominent for sure, haha.

But later on it felt more or less just Eleventh Doctor rehashes, where they constantly relying on the Daleks, Cybermen, etc. as a crutch for a good chunk of the episodes. I did enjoy the Robin Hood episode early in his run and the finale saying goodbye to Clara was certainly heart touching. I didn't really watch any episodes with Billie though, were those any good?

Bill Potts? There were great, good and not so good episodes in season 10. A typical Who season. Looking back, I didn't realise quite how good Moffat was until Chibnall took over. For me, as I've said already, Capaldi was the Doctor so I could enjoy even the worst episodes. I take your point about the re using of old enemies, but I found some of them to be the best I'd seen. The Bill turned into a Cyberman was a classic and made them scary again. Missy as the Master reinvigorated the character (in stark contrast to Jodie). Not season 10, but the Davros season 9 opener was also classic I thought. Cracking dialogue. Didn't like the preachy Zygon one though.  

Chibbers was on his way to a reinvention of the Daleks with an interesting premise full of initial promise. Then Whitterer arrived and mucked it all up. 

15 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Her companion, Rose character is considered a "fan-favorite."

But, personally I liked Jenna Coleman, Karen Gillian and Pearl Mackie better. my 2c 

I think he meant Bill Potts as we were talking Capaldi time.  Clara was my favourite, clever and witty. The sort of companion you could watch handle an episode on their own. Then Rose and Amy. Bill didn't seem to make a mark. All over too quick to leave a lasting impression. Donna was annoying. Martha was forgettable. Rory was Amy's companion really. Along for the ride. 

As for the new lot, the 'fam', here's my ratings out of 10:

• Graham - 2
  • Yaz - 3
  • Ryan - 0
  • Ryan's Dad - minus 2
  • Fat nan - minus three billion

22 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

But, personally I liked Jenna Coleman, Karen Gillian and Pearl Mackie better. my 2c 

Yeah I meant Pearl Mackie's Bill, lol.

I haven't watched Doctor Who in about three years so I apologize. 

5 minutes ago, Skylath said:

Yeah I meant Pearl Mackie's Bill, lol.

I haven't watched Doctor Who in about three years so I apologize. 

Not at all. Glad of the discussion. Watch Capaldi's last two seasons if you can. Avoid the Chibnall / Whitterer show like you would a plague of anus eating locust though. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I won :)

£4.25 and it's got the original gift too. 

Kerr Avon was a great creation wasn't he. A true one off. One of those rare occasions where the character just works. I loved that show. And how great that it actually ended with them all dying. No happy endings for the crew of the Liberator.  Or Scorpio, wasn't it, at the end. As naff as it undoubtedly was, I felt Avon's pain at the end when he realised Blake had sold him out. Sold him out. 

DescriptiveAdmiredCanvasback-small.gif.26d95e7ac0f9d988220f1dcbb49092b3.gif

That was a very real scene for me. I liked that it ended that way. But I'm sad that the creation that was Avon never went any further. Did he die too at the end? Or did Servalan shoot the guards, and they run off together. I like that we don't know. 

Or do we?

Anyway, a bit off topic there, sorry. So where were we? Oh, thats right. Jodie Whitterer's Doctor? Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

Dude, spoilers.

9 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

On the low end of the companion scale of Mel & Ace, Pearl Mackie easily triumphs.  Bottom of the barrel being Adric.:boo:

Bill Potts wasn't as bad as the new lot but that's about as far as I'm prepared to go. It's difficult to draw comparisons to the older characters because the acting style - and feel of the show - has changed completely. Adric will always be at the bottom and deservedly so. Mel and Ace did what they were meant to do... play off the Doctor in that hammy, overly theatrical style we'd become accustomed to.

Going back to the new bunch, I think Yaz or Graham would work on their own, they just don't work as a group. I would be more inclined to watch the show if it was the Doctor and one companion.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:44 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

On the low end of the companion scale of Mel & Ace, Pearl Mackie easily triumphs.  Bottom of the barrel being Adric.:boo:

I think both Mel and Ace complemented their respective Doctors well . . . in a bad way, of course.

On the other hand, I thought Pearl Mackie's 'Bill' companion was a good fit for Capaldi and I liked both actors in their respective roles.  Prior to Mackie's on-screen debut I thought, "Black lesbian companion, WTF's happening with the show?", but ended up being sold on Mackie's performance which was rock solid.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:09 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

Rose is my favorite companion by far.  So hot and she played so well with both Doctor's she teamed up with.  I didn't mind Jenna but she just never had a good connection with her Doctor.  Didn't like Karen since her thing with Rory was confusing and she never clicked with the Doctor.  Pearl Mackie who?  Completely burned her from my brain.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:26 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I think he meant Bill Potts as we were talking Capaldi time.  Clara was my favourite, clever and witty. The sort of companion you could watch handle an episode on their own. Then Rose and Amy. Bill didn't seem to make a mark. All over too quick to leave a lasting impression. Donna was annoying. Martha was forgettable. Rory was Amy's companion really. Along for the ride. 

As for the new lot, the 'fam', here's my ratings out of 10:

• Graham - 2
  • Yaz - 3
  • Ryan - 0
  • Ryan's Dad - minus 2
  • Fat nan - minus three billion

Don't strike me down, but I really enjoyed Series 11. (shrug)

But, I could see where some could get annoyed, here and there.

Graham - 7 out of 10, Yaz - 8, Ryan - 3, Ryan's nan - 0.0

I was stunned the series didn't have the New Years Special though. :( 

16 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

But, I could see where some could get annoyed, here and there.

Graham - 7 out of 10, Yaz - 8, Ryan - 3, Ryan's nan - 0.0

You should be grateful ;)

Graham - 5

Yaz - 5

Ryan - 2

Nan - 7 (she should've been the companion).

Edited by Batman

On 2/6/2019 at 10:34 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

It's alright New E G, it's not a crime. 

But only because I don't personally run the Police Force over here.

Yet.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:34 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

Christmas Special you mean? They did have a NY one. And it was most unsatisfactory, with only a passing resemblance to the Whoniverse. Did I just say 'Whoniverse'? I do apologise. 

Last week, I watched Capaldi's 'Return of Doctor Mysterio' on a DVD which, coincidentally, I got for Christmas. That reminded me very much of the programme 'Doctor Who'. Have you heard of it? It had a cracking -script, a warm premise and a cracking Doctor on top form.

I'm currently reading Tom Bakers 'Scratchman' novel. It's remarkable how he has captured the spirit of his early tenure on the show. Very entertaining in a nostalgic kind of way, which I often find to be one of the best ways available for one to take. You know, the show really ought to be left in the hands of the professionals. Or at the very least the wide eyed amateurs, with heart.

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's alright New E G, it's not a crime. 

But only because I don't personally run the Police Force over here.

Yet.

Christmas Special you mean? They did have a NY one. And it was most unsatisfactory, with only a passing resemblance to the Whoniverse. Did I just say 'Whoniverse'? I do apologise. 

Last week, I watched Capaldi's 'Return of Doctor Mysterio' on a DVD which, coincidentally, I got for Christmas. That reminded me very much of the programme 'Doctor Who'. Have you heard of it? It had a cracking --script, a warm premise and a cracking Doctor on top form.

I'm currently reading Tom Bakers 'Scratchman' novel. It's remarkable how he has captured the spirit of his early tenure on the show. Very entertaining in a nostalgic kind of way, which I often find to be one of the best ways available for one to take. You know, the show really ought to be left in the hands of the professionals. Or at the very least the wide eyed amateurs, with heart.

Yup. I saw 'Return of Doctor Mysterio" and really enjoyed it.(thumbsu

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Yup. I saw 'Return of Doctor Mysterio" and really enjoyed it.(thumbsu

Splendid!

Don't forget to read my book, will you NEG. There's a good chap

Related image

9 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

...I'm currently reading Tom Bakers 'Scratchman' novel. It's remarkable how he has captured the spirit of his early tenure on the show...

It's all teeth and curls, you mean?