• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2019 at 9:13 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

There are little bits that have worked, and worked well. I liked the Punjab episodes spirit and story. But the Doctor and the 'fam' ruined it by being in it. Every time the Whitterer appears the story sags. She is so underwritten, annoying and unenigmatic that she is the worst thing in her own show. Be honest, are we really expected to believe that this woman is the continuation of the previous incarnations? A handful of "I used to..." type comments, often shoe-horned in, do not represent the continuation of the character to me. How have we gone from Capaldi effectively wanting to die through the weariness of the constant good vs evil struggle to this superficially bubbly non entity?  Tennant was often dark and brooding - "Have I gone too far?" The Doctor is the programme. He should be the centre and soul of everything. Jodie has no element to her. No fear,  no darkness, melancholy, intent. Just bobs along 'helping out'. Not one reference to her regeneration. No signal of her mood or direction. 

Chibnall can't handle the genre. We go from Daleks blowing up tanks to Ryan in a cafe with his Dad for 5 minutes trying to bond while the world ends. Who gives one damn about Ryan, or his Dad? What have we been given, to care about this aspect of this woefully underwritten, unrealistic person? What did Yaz do in the new year episode? Was she there? There's a reason why good show makers stick to one or two companions. You simply can't do each justice in a one hour show slot. Chibnall is good at human drama,  but needs the right format to develop it. Dr Who isn't it. He can't work out how to merge the right kind of human drama with a fantasy storyline. So each episode feels like someone has chopped up an episode of Star Trek and an episode of Broadchurch and sellotaped them together. And he has no flair for humour. The scene with the family lamenting the loss of wifi felt like he ordered it from a catalogue. 

The new year episode started well. I quite liked the two archaeologists - I learned more about them in the first five minutes than I have about the Doctor in the whole season. They were going somewhere, weren't they. Then their relationship was jettisoned as soon as the Whitterer arrived. No tie up at the end, unless I missed it making a cup of tea. In fact, the girl who ended up with the Dalek for a passenger was a better actress that Jodie. 

I've seen Jodie interviewed on the telly. She's nice. A nice, intelligent,  bubbly woman. But ask me, is she the Doctor? I say, no. No. A thousand times no. No, as in the polar opposite of yes. Have I said no yet? No. 

I only got around to watching the New Year episode last night and was about to post my comments today but this post sums it all up more eloquently than I could.

1 minute ago, Comicopolis said:

I only got around to watching the New Year episode last night and was about to post my comments today but this post sums it all up more eloquently than I could.

And we have to wait a whole year and then it starts again. So, two years minimum before we're rid of this horror. Why is life so unfair Comicopolis? One programme I've got. One. And it's been hijacked by the unthinking. The flairless. The mediocritous. Are these words? Who cares. The patient is clearly not himself. We need someone to save him. A Doctor maybe. 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:12 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I won :)

£4.25 and it's got the original gift too. 

Kerr Avon was a great creation wasn't he. A true one off. One of those rare occasions where the character just works. I loved that show. And how great that it actually ended with them all dying. No happy endings for the crew of the Liberator.  Or Scorpio, wasn't it, at the end. As naff as it undoubtedly was, I felt Avon's pain at the end when he realised Blake had sold him out. Sold him out. 

DescriptiveAdmiredCanvasback-small.gif.26d95e7ac0f9d988220f1dcbb49092b3.gif

That was a very real scene for me. I liked that it ended that way. But I'm sad that the creation that was Avon never went any further. Did he die too at the end? Or did Servalan shoot the guards, and they run off together. I like that we don't know. 

Or do we?

Anyway, a bit off topic there, sorry. So where were we? Oh, thats right. Jodie Whitterer's Doctor? Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

I loved Blake's Seven as well - it was the 'punk' Dr Who for me. I had those monthly magazines. I seem to remember the first few issues being published only a couple of months before the show ended. I bought the DVD box sets a few years ago but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Bill Potts? There were great, good and not so good episodes in season 10. A typical Who season. Looking back, I didn't realise quite how good Moffat was until Chibnall took over. For me, as I've said already, Capaldi was the Doctor so I could enjoy even the worst episodes. I take your point about the re using of old enemies, but I found some of them to be the best I'd seen. The Bill turned into a Cyberman was a classic and made them scary again. Missy as the Master reinvigorated the character (in stark contrast to Jodie). Not season 10, but the Davros season 9 opener was also classic I thought. Cracking dialogue. Didn't like the preachy Zygon one though.  

Chibbers was on his way to a reinvention of the Daleks with an interesting premise full of initial promise. Then Whitterer arrived and mucked it all up. 

They hired the wrong woman to be the new Doctor - Michelle Gomez would have been fantastic in the part.

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

And we have to wait a whole year and then it starts again. So, two years minimum before we're rid of this horror. Why is life so unfair Comicopolis? One programme I've got. One. And it's been hijacked by the unthinking. The flairless. The mediocritous. Are these words? Who cares. The patient is clearly not himself. We need someone to save him. A Doctor maybe. 

I finished watching season 2 of the Punisher before this - I should've waited to wipe out the memory of that Who episode.

4 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

I loved Blake's Seven as well - it was the 'punk' Dr Who for me. I had those monthly magazines. I seem to remember the first few issues being published only a couple of months before the show ended. I bought the DVD box sets a few years ago but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

Sorry, I seem to have spoiled the ending. 

1 minute ago, Comicopolis said:

They hired the wrong woman to be the new Doctor - Michelle Gomez would have been fantastic in the part.

She would. Look how good she was. Look what she created, virtually instantly, supported by the -script writer. The direction is only limited to the imagination of the lead writer and actor. In the case of Chibbers and the Witterer, both fail spectacularly. 

Just now, Comicopolis said:

I finished watching season 2 of the Punisher before this - I should've waited to wipe out the memory of that Who episode.

Don't worry, I guarantee it won't last long in the memory. Only a vague feeling of being cheated will remain, once the vacuous 'stories' have left your consciousness. 

2 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

I don’t watch dr wHo but this is a funny thread😁😁😜🤪

I can confirm that now is not the time to start fOggy. 

And what do you mean, funny...

Edited by Get Marwood & I
😃