• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Are you looking forward to this release Steve?  I remember the original when it was first broadcast, who knew that these would never be repeated and were wiped. Being a TV historian I consider myself lucky that I have a great memory and that I had a family that watched all the same shows as me. Before the age of thirteen I thought my name was "Try another side!" :bigsmile:

I thought mine was "No"

I remember reading the Target novel,  and drawing the lobster for DWB. But I don't think I ever saw the actual episode, alas. 

11 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I really enjoyed "Resolution."

I hadn't watched any behind-the-scenes stuff and was surprised about the "monster" reveal.

But, I did wonder right off why the Doctor didn't scan Lin with the sonic. hm 

I would attempt an answer but that episode is long forgotten. Who's Lin?

Three of the other four paintings I traded away. Interestingly, the collector I traded them to later had them published in a Daleks calendar.  Interestingly, for the guy being exterminated, I asked Ron Turner to show his skeleton appear in a kind of x-ray effect as he's being blasted.  That was not something you saw in the original run.  Fast forward a few years to the re-boot . . . lo and behold ,my idea crops-up!  Co-incidence?  Maybe . . .

RT1.jpg

Hey all...kinda-sorta off topic, but I could use a little help.

Yesterday, while visiting our daughter at college, my wife lost her much-beloved, official BBC Dr. Who scarf:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167NXQCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, this shorter version of the Tom Baker scarf is sold out from Amazon, and apparently discontinued by the manufacturer.  So any assistance in procuring a replacement would be very much appreciated.  Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks! -Mike

Trust me, there is a Dr Who connection, so read on . . .

May I present to you Brian Bysouth's magnificent painting for the 1973 film, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD. I've always been a huge fan of the Charles Schneer and Ray Harryhausen collaborations and to my mind Golden Voyage of Sinbad marks the end of an era for their better efforts (I was never that keen on Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger or Clash of the Titans, which followed on from GVOS). The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is also notable for landing featured actor Tom Baker the subsequent starring role of Dr Who as a result of his performance in the movie (Dr Who producer Barry Letts was really taken by Tom Baker's performance in GVOS). I paid for and collected the painting directly from the auction house following a very long drive Friday morning. Studying the artwork in person, I can now reveal that Bysouth extended his artwork to all three sides of the image area, which were subsequently masked off with pasted paper overlays during production for the resulting printed poster. For whatever reason, the former owner of this artwork had decided to peel away the overlays, including captioned materials, and there still remains small areas of attached papers that would not come away easily. I have a paper conservator friend who works for Liverpool Museum and I will in due course be tasking him with the removal of remaining paper residue. It's not a big job. Captioned materials will additionally be re-created . . . so with a little bit of tender loving care, the artwork will be restored to its former full glory.

For larger scans and additional images:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1534330

CAF.jpg

CGC 2.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:06 PM, jools&jim said:

Hey all...kinda-sorta off topic, but I could use a little help.

Yesterday, while visiting our daughter at college, my wife lost her much-beloved, official BBC Dr. Who scarf:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167NXQCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, this shorter version of the Tom Baker scarf is sold out from Amazon, and apparently discontinued by the manufacturer.  So any assistance in procuring a replacement would be very much appreciated.  Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks! -Mike

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Scarf-Official-Lovarzi-x/dp/B008FLZ718/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1552244027&sr=8-2&keywords=tom+baker+scarf

You'll have to check to see if they ship internationally.

I spotted this letter in an old DWB from 1986 on eBay:

chibbers.thumb.jpg.0d7dedef9af1ea5988347cb366ba9170.jpg

915396132_chibbers(2).jpg.d08c3caf3955ac88e6de7f6a580c2687.jpg

Unless there's two of them, it shows he was a fan. What a shame that that historic love failed to translate into his own end product 30 or so years later...

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I spotted this letter in an old DWB from 1986 on eBay:

chibbers.thumb.jpg.0d7dedef9af1ea5988347cb366ba9170.jpg

915396132_chibbers(2).jpg.d08c3caf3955ac88e6de7f6a580c2687.jpg

Unless there's two of them, it shows he was a fan. What a shame that that historic love failed to translate into his own end product 30 or so years later...

Chibnall was from Formby, Merseyside, so it is him.

3 minutes ago, The Voord said:
On 4/8/2019 at 10:25 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Chibnall was from Formby, Merseyside, so it is him.

Funny isn't it - I'm having such a hard time marrying his obvious fandom credentials to his own take on the show which comes across to me as being the product of someone with only a passing knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. Weird. 

51 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Funny isn't it - I'm having such a hard time marrying his obvious fandom credentials to his own take on the show which comes across to me as being the product of someone with only a passing knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. Weird. 

I'd liken him to someone who produced bad fan-fiction back in the day . . . and never really progressed much over the years  with his attempts at writing.

3 minutes ago, The Voord said:

I'd liken him to someone who produced bad fan-fiction back in the day . . . and never really progressed much over the years  with his attempts at writing.

Yes. Competent at best. No flair in my view. Still, I got a letters published in DWB too. But I'm a charity worker, and he's the current lead writer on Dr Who. He's made it, he's in charge, good luck to him. 

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes. Competent at best. No flair in my view. Still, I got a letters published in DWB too. But I'm a charity worker, and he's the current lead writer on Dr Who. He's made it, he's in charge, good luck to him. 

Good luck to the show's audience . . . they're going to need it.