• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, The Voord said:

Good luck to the show's audience . . . they're going to need it.

They surely are. At least I have my Capaldi box set, to remind me of what can be achieved while I wait for the current crowd to move on.  

On 3/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, The Voord said:

Trust me, there is a Dr Who connection, so read on . . .

May I present to you Brian Bysouth's magnificent painting for the 1973 film, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD. I've always been a huge fan of the Charles Schneer and Ray Harryhausen collaborations and to my mind Golden Voyage of Sinbad marks the end of an era for their better efforts (I was never that keen on Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger or Clash of the Titans, which followed on from GVOS). The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is also notable for landing featured actor Tom Baker the subsequent starring role of Dr Who as a result of his performance in the movie (Dr Who producer Barry Letts was really taken by Tom Baker's performance in GVOS). I paid for and collected the painting directly from the auction house following a very long drive Friday morning. Studying the artwork in person, I can now reveal that Bysouth extended his artwork to all three sides of the image area, which were subsequently masked off with pasted paper overlays during production for the resulting printed poster. For whatever reason, the former owner of this artwork had decided to peel away the overlays, including captioned materials, and there still remains small areas of attached papers that would not come away easily. I have a paper conservator friend who works for Liverpool Museum and I will in due course be tasking him with the removal of remaining paper residue. It's not a big job. Captioned materials will additionally be re-created . . . so with a little bit of tender loving care, the artwork will be restored to its former full glory.

For larger scans and additional images:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1534330

CAF.jpg

CGC 2.jpg

That's beautiful and who knew that it would feature the first image of a Stargate? I agree with you on the other movies and always thought that it was the advances in technology that caused the difference in Ray Harryhausen's work.  A bit of trivia: the piano in the Corpse bride movie is called a Harryhausen in his honour:foryou:

Edited by tv horror

17 hours ago, tv horror said:

That's beautiful and who knew that it would feature the first image of a Stargate? I agree with you on the other movies and always thought that it was the advances in technology that caused the difference in Ray Harryhausen's work.  A bit of trivia: the piano in the Corpse bride movie is called a Harryhausen in his honour:foryou:

The painting's now been cleaned-up, matted and framed with recreated captioned materials currently being prepared.  Here's a photo of how it now looks (excuse the glass reflection). . .

untitled.png

4 hours ago, The Voord said:

The painting's now been cleaned-up, matted and framed with recreated captioned materials currently being prepared.  Here's a photo of how it now looks (excuse the glass reflection). . .

untitled.png

Just beautiful and very striking, well done.:golfclap:

On 4/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

They surely are. At least I have my Capaldi box set, to remind me of what can be achieved while I wait for the current crowd to move on.  

So you're the "Disgruntled viewer" who keeps writing into the Radio Times?

download.jpg

29 minutes ago, tv horror said:

download.jpg

"Dear :censored:s in charge of Doctor Who...."

14 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Separated at birth?

images.jpg

s-l225.jpg

There's a hair and chin thing going on there, yes. I remember seeing the Sharkey fella downstairs at the Tufnell Park Dome in the nineties. Decade,  not temperature. Talent scout he was. If my memory serves Eve's Plum were playing and did a stonking version of I Will Survive. They were the support though, the main act I think were the Slingbacks. Of course, that could be three memories mixed up as I went there quite a bit. 

On 4/15/2019 at 1:12 PM, tv horror said:

download.jpg

He’s the one from the Home Counties, calling himself  ‘Disgusted about the New Doctor’.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Cybermen plan to conquer Earth by passive smoking......

0c086a42fce93545ed58c2363d2bb7e6.jpg

As long as they’re not Benson and Hedges Gold, he’ll be perfectly fine.

I’ll be honest, I don’t smoke, and I had to Google for a brand name that worked.

57 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t smoke, and I had to Google for a brand name that worked.

I wonder can you plug him into the vacuum? Oops that SUCKS.:bigsmile:

In researching my last post, as a non-smoker, I was shocked to discover that a pack of 20 cigarettes can now cost around 12 quid in the UK.

Not a poor, working class habit anymore.

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

In researching my last post, as a non-smoker, I was shocked to discover that a pack of 20 cigarettes can now cost around 12 quid in the UK.

Not a poor, working class habit anymore.

Which is a good thing.

17 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Heh heh, I see what you did there... cyb.PNG.0d8ace9209145c9b406ba9d7a064c554.PNG

Sorry, I meant DELETE! cyb.PNG.0d8ace9209145c9b406ba9d7a064c554.PNG

I mentioned some posts back how I thought that Charlotte Ritchie was a better actress than Jodie (in the New Year special) and that she would likely have been a better choice for the Doctor. Since then, she's been turning up in everything. 

An unknown, with talent, emerging to become a household name. 

I understand that Chibbers only went for Jodie after Olivia Coleman, the only other actress he's ever worked with on Broadchurch, turned him down.

Good for Charlotte I suppose, that she was never in the running. Being saddled with Chibnall Who would likely have killed the flourish.

8069984-6550541-image-a-17_1546475199172.jpg.f7cbacfecc4d68fd6fbd82f7ed191d79.jpg