• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2019 at 10:37 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Let's see a picture then 

The descent is happening... The 10" 13th Doctor figure is now down to £5 each go ahead make yourself a little army of clones (or should that be Gangers?).:bigsmile:

download.jpg.870ebe2f358052c94e427290d5e7b2e6.jpg

Someone should tell her that her cat died.

download (1).jpg

Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall has regenerated the BBC show’s writing team ahead of the launch of season 12 in early 2020.

Nina Metivier, writer of BBC and Netflix series The A List, and A Discovery Of Witches writer Charlene James have penned their first episodes of the sci-fi drama, as has Maxine Alderton, who has written for CBBC’s The Worst Witch.

They join three writers who worked on Doctor Who last season: Vinay Patel (Murdered By My Father), Ed Hime (Skins), and Pete McTighe (Wentworth). It means there was an even split of male and female writers who worked on season 12.

In addition to the writers, four new directors got to grips with Jodie Whittaker’s time lord: Nida Manzoor (Enterprice), Emma Sullivan (Call the Midwife), Jamie Magnus Stone (Orbit Ever After) and Lee Haven Jones (Vera).

ugh - I'm so conflicted with this next season.  i dearly miss my Dr. Who fix but I this despised the previous season.  So preachy and written with a political slant rather then the sci-fi popcorn shows I like.  My wife and her female friends loved the last season but i've yet to find a old school fan who didn't do more then tolerate it.

I saw this on eBay recently - I had it on my wall as a kid :grin:

Cost a packet for one roll as I recall...

782079953_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.cc2bcd0afa50aa4615b27f6f70982af2.jpg s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4ba6e7cea1264f99abf24953290b22d4.jpg

Hopefully I've proven my Whovian credentials via this thread and others. It gives me no pleasure at all to say that I actually couldn't watch the new series and turned off 15 minutes into the first episode.  I was prepared to give it a go, encouraged by the general 'return to normality' advance news but oh dear what have they done to it. There may indeed be a return to the history of the show (I watched the last ten minutes on catch up) but I tried the second episode and felt the same. 

I'm not going to do a blow by blow assessment but will say that the characterisation just doesn't work for me. I see people calling themselves the Doctor, Master etc but I don't recognise them. I just cannot see any link to their previous incarnations and the words that come out of their mouths just do not ring true. The companions have nothing of interest about them, struggling as they do to find any airtime in a cramped cast. This is and always has been my favourite show so I'm gutted really.  But I have no confidence in the current production team, cast and writers so will have to wait for them to move on to see if things can recover.

Such a shame. 

My brother and I discovered Doctor Who / Peter Davison around 1982. Stil my favorite episodes and boy-oh-boy did I appreciate Tegan Jovanka at that point in my young teenage life.

Edited by RedRaven

50 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

My brother and I discovered Doctor Who / Peter Davison around 1982. Stil my favorite episodes and boy-oh-boy did I appreciate Tegan Jovanka at that point in my young teenage life.

Indeed. Simpler times, but I have fond memories of that period...

t.gif.7c56cab024bc62f6f4cbfe3d5a7430d4.gif

48 minutes ago, drotto said:

The new season is apparently in some ratings trouble.  It is now venturing into Capaldi ratings zone. Some paper in the UK are now calling for cancelling the show to save it in the future.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2020/01/09/new-doctor-waste-time-space-dont-blame-jodie-whittaker/

Can't believe I didn't even know there was a new series out.  After the political correct garbage they put out last season I'm actually happy I wasn't notified about the current season.

57 minutes ago, drotto said:

The new season is apparently in some ratings trouble.  It is now venturing into Capaldi ratings zone. Some paper in the UK are now calling for cancelling the show to save it in the future.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2020/01/09/new-doctor-waste-time-space-dont-blame-jodie-whittaker/

Capaldi's ratings were ok. Easily the best Doctor in my view, he suffered a little in the public's gaze by being introduced as a little too cranky by Moffat. A shame, given his obvious warmth which came out later in his run. But the quality of writing, story planning and scripts were largely excellent for him under Moffat who, whilst not perfect, was crackingly witty and intelligent.

The current lot are a perfect storm of inadequacy. Chibnall is Enid Blyton to Moffat's Shakespeare.

Chibnall is such a lazy writer. In the first 10 minutes of the season opener we have all the companions going around telling everyone they're going to be 'away for a while' again. Because let's face it, you could never just come back to the time you left could you! You'd need a time machine to do that! 

Heh, hang on.

And then we have the high comedy of the Whitterer, once again in man goggles, fixing the Tardis by popping it up on a car garage lift and pulling all the wires out the bottom. Now, potential comic effect aside, albeit Chibbers delivered none, that's not really how the Tardis works I fear. I remember Matt Smith suspended below the Tardis console, fixing stuff. Inside. That worked well. I wonder why Chibbers forgot that. Then, later, the 'authorities', having whisked the Whitterer away, pop all the wires back in, seal the bottom and move the Tardis to Frys residence. As you do.

What rot. What flimsy, disrespectful story telling. If Moffat had done that garage scene there would at least have been some quipery and explanatory banter. "So, you can open the bottom now. How does that work?" I can imagine Clara saying. To which the Doctor would reply.......

Thank God Capaldi got out before he could have any of Chibbers banality rammed down his throat. His idea of quirky is to give the Doctor constant stream of consciousness speeches of nothing. "Ooh, is this a cat, cats are cool, I like cats, do you like cats, cats make tea on Wednesdays blah blah blah" delivered at a frantic speed of annoyance. Ok, I made that quote up but it's pretty accurate I'm sorry to say. 

Bad showrunner. Bad acting. Bad scripts. Bad stories. Bad observance of history. Bad theme. Bad everything it seems. 

Look back at Capaldi's exit, how he was feeling. His pleading with both Masters. Look at how they responded, their dialogue. Tell me where those people went, and who these current imposters are. 

11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Chibnall is such a lazy writer. In the first 10 minutes of the season opener we have all the companions going around telling everyone they're going to be 'away for a while' again. Because let's face it, you could never just come back to the time you left could you! You'd need a time machine to do that! 

Heh, hang on.

And then we have the high comedy of the Whitterer, once again in man goggles, fixing the Tardis by popping it up on a car garage lift and pulling all the wires out the bottom. Now, potential comic effect aside, albeit Chibbers delivered none, that's not really how the Tardis works I fear. I remember Matt Smith suspended below the Tardis console, fixing stuff. Inside. That worked well. I wonder why Chibbers forgot that. Then, later, the 'authorities', having whisked the Whitterer away, pop all the wires back in, seal the bottom and move the Tardis to Frys residence. As you do.

What rot. What flimsy, disrespectful story telling. If Moffat had done that garage scene there would at least have been some quipery and explanatory banter. "So, you can open the bottom now. How does that work?" I can imagine Clara saying. To which the Doctor would reply.......

Thank God Capaldi got out before he could have any of Chibbers banality rammed down his throat. His idea of quirky is to give the Doctor constant stream of consciousness speeches of nothing. "Ooh, is this a cat, cats are cool, I like cats, do you like cats, cats make tea on Wednesdays blah blah blah" delivered at a frantic speed of annoyance. Ok, I made that quote up but it's pretty accurate I'm sorry to say. 

Bad showrunner. Bad acting. Bad scripts. Bad stories. Bad observance of history. Bad theme. Bad everything it seems. 

Look back at Capaldi's exit, how he was feeling. His pleading with both Masters. Look at how they responded, their dialogue. Tell me where those people went, and who these current imposters are. 

Most critics seem to be pointing the finger at Chibnal and the writers.  I have heard most of the current writing crew is a little ummmm, light in the scifi department.  Most of the actors have shown to be capable in other series, but they are just being given nothing to work with here.

To me the Doctor is at his/her best when walking the line between kind, smart, and caring, but with that under current that he/she can get very scary if provoked.

Edited by drotto

1 hour ago, drotto said:

Most critics seem to be pointing the finger at Chibnal and the writers.  I have heard most of the current writing crew is a little ummmm, light in the scifi department.  Most of the actors have shown to be capable in other series, but they are just being given nothing to work with here.

Yes, I was looking forward to Bradley Walsh who was excellent in our version of Law and Order. He's had virtually nothing to do. Chibnall doesn't have any flair for sci-fi, clearly. Bit of a problem, but my hope was that his skills in putting dramas like Broadchurch together would perhaps result in some serious drama in Who. Maybe Jodie would be a studious, serious Doctor and we'd get some strong drama. But Chibnall can't even create a believable scene, let alone deliver any drama. His Doctor, so far, is oddly devoid of any discernible personality. Just frantic chatter. No mystery, no depth. The lines he gave the Master were so bland they made me want to tear my eyes out. Or ears off, which would probably be more beneficial. Oh it's all so bloody disappointing. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:08 PM, drotto said:

To me the Doctor is at his/her best when walking the line between kind, smart, and caring, but with that under current that he/she can get very scary if provoked.

I missed your edit - that's a pretty good description drotto! Send it on to Chibnall would you...

With the ratings drop the Beeb plan to retcon out Whittaker's Doctor. Smith will reprise his role for a one off special and go forward in time to where Capaldi regenerates. He'll kill Whittaker and force a new regeneration. Everything that happened in S11 will be erased from Who history. Rumours that Tennent will be doing the same for the Eccleston regeneration remain unconfirmed at this time.

Edited by Batman

1 hour ago, Batman said:

With the ratings drop the Beeb plan to retcon out Whittaker's Doctor. Smith will reprise his role for a one off special and go forward in time to where Capaldi regenerates. He'll kill Whittaker and force a new regeneration. Everything that happened in S11 will be erased from Who history. Rumours that Tennent will be doing the same for the Eccleston regeneration remain unconfirmed at this time.

You've already displayed a better sense of plotting than the current showrunner Bats!

What do you think of it so far?