• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. More tedious preaching. 

More Doctor Doomwatch than Doctor Who.  A show with an identity crisis.

The stony, crystallising effect of the skin infection reminded me straight away of the aliens from the Outer Limits episode ‘Feasibility Study’.

Try as I might Ken, I just can't warm to any of the cast. And the writing is so staggeringly awful, preachy and crammed with awkward social messaging that i just don't know what to make of it. This era can't come to an end quick enough for me. I managed about ten minutes of yesterday's effort. It was just so unforgivably boring

Hopefully the show will return one day with some semblance of order restored. I imagine there may be only one being alive who rates it less favourably than I do. And that's this chap they used to call the Doctor....

23 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I must remember not to turn on BBC1 around this time on a Sunday. 

Little bits of plastic we're ingesting didn't you know according to Jodie's latest speech. Silly humans. And some fella isn't getting on with his husband. So Graham's just had a chat with him. And Ryan hasn't done or said anything of any consequence. 

17 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. More tedious preaching. 

More Doctor Doomwatch than Doctor Who.  A show with an identity crisis.

The stony, crystallising effect of the skin infection reminded me straight away of the aliens from the Outer Limits episode ‘Feasibility Study’.

You're both missing the point. The purpose of Dr Who is not to entertain... It's to enlighten. It worked on me. I'm off to write a letter of complaint about the amount of plastic used in Dr Who DVDs.

43 minutes ago, Batman said:

You're both missing the point. The purpose of Dr Who is not to entertain... It's to enlighten. It worked on me. I'm off to write a letter of complaint about the amount of plastic used in Dr Who DVDs.

Yes. They should make them out of wood instead. Plenty going spare on set if the cast's acting is anything to go by...

Anyone still watching...?

This series gets better by the episode. I can't say The Doctor is any less irritating but the storylines have improved drastically. They've also dialled down the preaching a bit.

6 hours ago, Batman said:

This series gets better by the episode. I can't say The Doctor is any less irritating but the storylines have improved drastically. They've also dialled down the preaching a bit.

"Level 139. It's always been my favourite level"

Yes, hasn't it just.

Just watched the first part of Ascension of The Borg, sorry, Cybermen on catch up. Whilst it has much to commend it as a programme in the visuals department, it still feels very un-Doctor Who like to me. It has a basic feel to it. A harshness. Almost nasty. There is no humour to speak of. No snappy dialogue. Nothing clever that I caught. Just straightforward story telling. The lead continues to underwhelm. " How is that possible?" she says. The companions continue to stand out for their sheer dull ordinariness, whilst displaying a knowlegde and practicality beyond their natural means. A few trips in the Tardis seems to imbue otherwise ordinary people with sudden inexplicable 'space awareness'. 

I can't detect any link at all to the last time the Doctor, Masters and Cybermen caught up. Capaldi's last Cyber tussle doesn't seem to have left any mark on Whittaker. It's like that never happened. That was a clever one, the Capaldi finale. Humour, horrror, wit, ingenuity, memorable speeches. A regeneration rendering showdown. Where did all that go? 

It is undoubtedly better than previous Chibera episodes, this latest one. But in my opinion, it all remains stubbornly not Doctor Who. I hear that the crew are on for a third series. So the wait, for me, goes on, alas. 

6 hours ago, Batman said:

The Cybermen storyline was an improvement, but it was still a bit unimaginative and meh. I am happy to hear less from the pulpit, though.

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Cybermen storyline was an improvement...

It was Ken. But if rubbish was 1, and Doctor Who was 100, it has moved from 13 up to 22. Nasty top Cyborgman had his moments. Shame JW didn't have anything to say back to him other than her (Chibbers) usual distinctly human sounding blah blah. She'll beat him time after time. Sounds like the dialogue you'd expect from Clubber Lang rather than a 1,000 year old genius time being doesn't it.

I've probably said this before, but on a scale of 1 to 100, how much of a non-entity is Ryan? 1 is a non-entity, 100 the most non-entity possible. 

18 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I am happy to hear less from the pulpit, though.

...then you'll be disappointed to hear that the Cybermen are eventually defeated in episode two by the coronavirus Ken. The Whitterer gives a speech to a chastened Master about the importance of washing your hands, advising that austerity was ultimately to blame for a lack of available soap in the universe. 

13 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

"Level 139. It's always been my favourite level"

Yes, hasn't it just.

Just watched the first part of Ascension of The Borg, sorry, Cybermen on catch up. Whilst it has much to commend it as a programme in the visuals department, it still feels very un-Doctor Who like to me. It has a basic feel to it. A harshness. Almost nasty. There is no humour to speak of. No snappy dialogue. Nothing clever that I caught. Just straightforward story telling. The lead continues to underwhelm. " How is that possible?" she says. The companions continue to stand out for their sheer dull ordinariness, whilst displaying a knowlegde and practicality beyond their natural means. A few trips in the Tardis seems to imbue otherwise ordinary people with sudden inexplicable 'space awareness'. 

I can't detect any link at all to the last time the Doctor, Masters and Cybermen caught up. Capaldi's last Cyber tussle doesn't seem to have left any mark on Whittaker. It's like that never happened. That was a clever one, the Capaldi finale. Humour, horrror, wit, ingenuity, memorable speeches. A regeneration rendering showdown. Where did all that go? 

It is undoubtedly better than previous Chibera episodes, this latest one. But in my opinion, it all remains stubbornly not Doctor Who. I hear that the crew are on for a third series. So the wait, for me, goes on, alas. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably still not a fan.

But something's got you watching it again  hm

Edited by Batman

12 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Cybermen storyline was an improvement, but it was still a bit unimaginative and meh. I am happy to hear less from the pulpit, though.

I thought the storyline in The Haunting of Villa Diodati was very good. At least until the very end with the Cyberium. Before that both Praxeus and Can You Hear Me? started off well before going downhill. Definitely steps in the right direction. Ascension of the Cyberman had a bit of a retro feel to it, like they were remaking a Davison era episode. Nice to see the 80s style cyberheads again. It was marred by the whole flying the cybership nonsense though... but I guess you can't have everything. This series is a definitely improvement on the last, despite not being as good as anything that came before S11.

1 hour ago, Batman said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably still not a fan.

Of this current production, no.

1 hour ago, Batman said:

But something's got you watching it again  hm

Hope.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:21 PM, RedRaven said:

Not hearing good things about the season finale. @Get Marwood & I

Hello Raven. I was having, or trying to have, a self enforced sabbatical. Have you ever tried it? Very difficult as it turns out with all these notification thingies keep popping up and invading your inbox. Never invade an inbox uninvited I always say. I'd switch the damn things off but even reversing the polarity of the neutron flow didn't do it. I don't know. Anyway, your question. What was it again? Ah yes, the latest latest latest finale. You won't hear good things about it because there aren't any. Good things I mean. Now, if you were to go on that catch up telly thing, and found the Capaldi final final final, then you would find a veritable cornucopia of good things. Humour, wit, imagination, love and heart. And kindness, lots and lots of kindness. A crusty old Dalek too but look, nothing is perfect. Or is it? It certainly was, almost, but now very far from isn't.

Anyway, about that sabbatical. Would you let me get back to it please? Thank you. See you in a month or so maybe. These are for you :foryou: 

Flowers are kind aren't they. Noisy though I find. All 'look at me' and colour. Not that that's a bad thing of course....

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

...You won't hear good things about it because there aren't any...

Worst Master ever. There's nothing worse than poorly acted crazy. The series ended where it began... Galling-frey. Shame because it could've ended on a (relative) high.

26 minutes ago, Batman said:

Worst Master ever. There's nothing worse than poorly acted crazy. The series ended where it began... Galling-frey. Shame because it could've ended on a (relative) high.

Worst Master. Worst companions. Worst theme. Worst thematic incidental music. Worst new monsters. Worst use of old monsters. Worst Tardis interior. Worst corruption of canon. Worst storytelling. Worst attempts at humour, wit, imagination.

All these potentially forgiveable with the right Doctor.

Alas, worst Doctor. But to say worst Doctor indicates a Doctor. Far worse than worst Doctor. Not the Doctor.

Two more years of this. Two more years of the worst everything. 

Always end on a positive though. I lived to see the best. I may live to see better. Who knows?

Now, about that sabbatical...