• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Batman said:

Let's not go too far, old chap...

5475dbd2148aff383bfdfc25a7c20d1a62554d78

Sabbaticals are hard aren't they. To take I mean. And speaking of hard, one can only hope that Nyssa is looking outward in the picture.

Poor Adric. It's not apples and apples of course, comparing new to old, but he was an (Earth) Shocking companion. Rocked the yellow tunic though. And brought a strange dignity in his death,  along with a universal cheer. A Davison silence that spoke volumes. 

I predict that in point two of a second after Ryan has disembarked, his name will be forgotten forever.

Now, always end on a positive I said, earlier. I'm positive I won't miss him. Because I won't be watching.

P.S. Nyssa :x (especially when she ditched the red velvet number)

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Sabbaticals are hard aren't they. To take I mean.

Apparently lol 

9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's not apples and apples of course...

Rose. Donna. How do you like them apples?

:grin:

1 minute ago, Batman said:

Apparently lol 

Rose. Donna. How do you like them apples?

:grin:

What a pear!

(Never eat pears)

Night Bats :)

Never in a million years would I have thought it possible for me to completely avoid a whole season of Dr. Who.  I use to watch each episode the day after they came out and savored every minute.  I keep thinking I should give it a shot but after last year I just can't.  You guys let me know when its safe to watch again.

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Never in a million years would I have thought it possible for me to completely avoid a whole season of Dr. Who.  I use to watch each episode the day after they came out and savored every minute.  I keep thinking I should give it a shot but after last year I just can't.  You guys let me know when its safe to watch again.

POssibly never then.  Seems like this season kinda burned everything down.

13 hours ago, drotto said:

POssibly never then.  Seems like this season kinda burned everything down.

I watched a few Capaldi's this week. The chemistry between him and Clara is just lovely. And Moffat's scripts are so damn witty and clever. Missy, Davros. Cracking. 

Imagine spending four and a half billion years 'legitimately' escaping a tomb that you could leave in an instant, but for one unwanted sacrifice, because you have a duty of care to look after your friend. Preposterous, but a love story to make the hairs on your neck stand to attention when played by those two. Like a fable. And I watched the Doctors watch the WW1 soldiers as they sang their ceasefire song and I cried tears for the loss of my Dad. They tapped into my grief with admirable empathy. 

How cleverly did Moffat weave a meaningful history around the past during his tenure. How casually has Chibbers destroyed it. It's ghastly what he's done to the show. Simply ghastly. 

11 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I watched a few Capaldi's this week. The chemistry between him and Clara is just lovely. And Moffat's scripts are so damn witty and clever. Missy, Davros. Cracking. 

Imagine spending four and a half billion years 'legitimately' escaping a tomb that you could leave in an instant, but for one unwanted sacrifice, because you have a duty of care to look after your friend. Preposterous, but a love story to make the hairs on your neck stand to attention when played by those two. Like a fable. And I watched the Doctors watch the WW1 soldiers as they sang their ceasefire song and I cried tears for the loss of my Dad. They tapped into my grief with admirable empathy. 

How cleverly did Moffat weave a meaningful history around the past during his tenure. How casually has Chibbers destroyed it. It's ghastly what he's done to the show. Simply ghastly. 

I may be in the minority, but I really liked Capaldi.  I think he was saddled with some weak scripts and stories, but he was great.  I also loved Missy, and Michelle Gomez is a fantastic actress.  The chemistry between the two of them is some of the strongest in the entirety of Doctor Who history.

I got through about 5 episodes of the current Doctors first series, and I just could not stand any more.  I was late to the Who fandom.  I devoured all of New Who in about 6 months (doctors 9 to 11), then watch all of Capaldi as it came out. I was a new, but devoted new fan, they had me.  The killed my interest in just 5 episodes.  Now I have skimmed the more recent issues, read recaps and reviews, so I know what is happening, and still have interest.  I can not actually bring myself to watch these episodes.

3 hours ago, drotto said:

I may be in the minority, but I really liked Capaldi

A man of taste. They're often in the minority I find. I'm on the road today Drotto, but more on this later...

8 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I may be in the minority, but I really liked Eccleston.

My Mum read his autobiography which centres around his relationship with and loss of his father and told me all about it. I then listened to an interview and found myself warming to him considerably. A very decent, humble man, full of self doubt. I suspect he may have got a lot better at Who had he served longer, and was better supported. 

8 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Capaldi as well.

Duh!

15 hours ago, drotto said:

I may be in the minority, but I really liked Capaldi.  I think he was saddled with some weak scripts and stories, but he was great. 

That's what I was getting at earlier Drotto. You can forgive so much in the production if the leads are charismatic. There were some very weak stories, but I never found them unwatchable due to Capaldi. On balance, I thought Moffat was a very clever, witty showrunner and he did so much more good than bad. Whilst I understood why he did it, making Capaldi a little cranky and horrible was a misstep, as it detracted from his amazing warmth. I think one or two more seasons with Capaldi, with Moffat calibre writing / direction, a regular time (heh heh) slot and decent advertising and he would have been much better received and remembered than he now seems to be.

27 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Aside from a couple of stories and the Capaldi seasons (which I haven't watched and thus can't pass judgement) Dr Who has been a pile of poop since Peri's cleavage was outlawed back in '86. :preach:

Fwooaaaar...