• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The fact is the show is sinking fast in the ratings.  It was only 4.6 millions viewers in the UK, which is the lowest number ever for the holiday special, especially when it was drawing routinely over 12 million in the UK at its prime. The Rating in the US are abysmal at well under 1 million.  I mean this show was a cultural phenomenon only 5 or 6 years ago. So couple that with the fact that it has become tradition for the doctor to leave after 3 years, I would say it is likely. 

7 hours ago, drotto said:

The fact is the show is sinking fast in the ratings.  It was only 4.6 millions viewers in the UK, which is the lowest number ever for the holiday special, especially when it was drawing routinely over 12 million in the UK at its prime. The Rating in the US are abysmal at well under 1 million.  I mean this show was a cultural phenomenon only 5 or 6 years ago. So couple that with the fact that it has become tradition for the doctor to leave after 3 years, I would say it is likely. 

You combined a few thing in making that statement. But then hit on the reality of the situation - it has been the tradition to change out the doctor after 3 years. So the actress isn't quitting. She is completing the terms of her contract. Right?

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You combined a few thing in making that statement. But then hit on the reality of the situation - it has been the tradition to change out the doctor after 3 years. So the actress isn't quitting. She is completing the terms of her contract. Right?

A few people have had their tenure extended to 6 years but I'd say she is limping in on a flat tire in terms of finishing her 3 years.  Ratings are abysmal which is not surprising since I'm a huge fan and I just couldn't watch the last season.  I don't mind some woke tv and I'm all for changing up the format a bit but every episode came across was preachy and the writing as just not good.  I'll be back watching if they can replace her with someone good

Edited by 1Cool

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

A few people have had their tenure extended to 6 years but I'd say she is limping in on a flat tire in terms of finishing her 3 years.  Ratings are abysmal which is not surprising since I'm a huge fan and I just couldn't watch the last season.  I don't mind some woke tv and I'm all for changing up the format a bit but every episode came across was preachy and the writing as just not good.  I'll be back watching if they can replace her with someone good

Well, hopefully the creative team behind the show changes course as well. That's the real guts of the show that may be at fault, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Not totally,  you have a show dropping in ratings along with contracts being up means there is no chance of renewal.  I just hope the showrunner is out also.

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I was very familiar with the original doctor who shows from my childhood, and had no familiarity with the modern takes until HBO Max posted all the shows.

Man, did I miss out on some fantastically fun episodes.

New Who for seasons 1 through 5 was often brilliant, and always enjoyable. Seasons 6 to 10 showed flashes of brilliance, but not at the same level or as consistent.  I watched the first 4 episodes of season 11, and have not watched an episode since.  I really wanted to love it, and wanted to support what I hoped would be a different and bold new direction, it failed on every level. 

While Doctor Who fans await the show's thirteenth season, now in production, they can soon enjoy the lost classic Doctor Who episode Fury from the Deep via BBC America and AMC+. Doctor Who: Fury from the Deep is the missing sixth serial from the fifth season of classic Doctor Who. The BBC and Big Finish Creative recreated the story using animation and the surviving audio. Released on home media in September 2020, the restored Second Doctor serial will make its television debut on BBC America on Sunday, March 21st at 6 p.m. ET, with all six half-hour episodes showing back-to-back. For fans who can't wait until then, they can watch the full season on AMC+ beginning Monday, March 15th.

Like several other early Doctor Who episodes, Fury from the Deep went missing from the BBC Archives. This tale, restored through animation, sees the TARDIS landing on the sea's surface off the coast of England. The Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton, The Omen) and companions Jamie (Frazer Hines, Two Days in the Smoke) and Victoria (Deborah Watling, The Invisible Man) make it to shore only for security guards to shoot them with tranquilizer darts and take them as prisoners.

They soon discover that they'd trespassed on a restricted area of a refinery base run by a man named Robson (Victor Maddern, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang). The Doctor discovers several mysterious problems with the feed pipes' pressure from the offshore drilling rigs. Later, he learns that one of the rigs has sucked up a parasitic form of seaweed that releases a poisonous gas and a foam that allows it to take control of minds.

I so want to complete the last season to say I've done it but I just watch an episode and it takes me a month to get back to it.  The last one I saw was basically an environmental wake up all about how the we will become monsters if we don't clean up our act.  I can't wait for the next episode where they teach me about the evils of sugar and cigarettes. 

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I so want to complete the last season to say I've done it but I just watch an episode and it takes me a month to get back to it.  The last one I saw was basically an environmental wake up all about how the we will become monsters if we don't clean up our act.  I can't wait for the next episode where they teach me about the evils of sugar and cigarettes. 

:roflmao:

On 1/6/2021 at 10:09 AM, Number 6 said:

Let’s cleanse our palates with some good Doctor Who news. 

I was poking around Blu-ray.com and spotted this. No release date posted yet but this seems to be the next classic DW Blu-ray release:

9D294899-3601-4616-AE5E-13AD010AE1B4.jpeg.9907835390f40b80071ab1da861dc1aa.jpeg

I decline the opportunity to give them money for the same episodes a second time in general.  Although I will be buying the animated Web of Fear when that comes out, which will be the fifth time I buy Episode #1... Lost in Time, audiobook, iTunes for the whole serial, DVD for the serial, and now the version with the animated episode #3.

655B7B5B-A7EA-43A9-8344-39ED682C2DFC.jpeg

1AF21A11-9320-437D-8629-2FE56023A4C8.jpeg