• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Just finished "The Pilot."

Loved it!

Classic Who!

Pearl Mackie is flat out wonderful as well.

Series 10 has been very solid so far.  I have not watched this weeks episode, but the only real let down episode was the final of the three part one, seemed too easy and a bit anticlimactic.  Not saying it was bad just weaker than the others. 

1 hour ago, drotto said:

Series 10 has been very solid so far.  I have not watched this weeks episode, but the only real let down episode was the final of the three part one, seemed too easy and a bit anticlimactic.  Not saying it was bad just weaker than the others. 

The next episode "Smile" looks good, with the emoji robots. Probably start watching in a bit after stacking some wood.

Yesterday's episode was excellent.

I would most likely have thought it was one of the most brilliant Dr Who stories ever if not for the numerous spoilers about the characters returning in the show, which took the edge off it, months in advance.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yesterday's episode was excellent.

I would most likely have thought it was one of the most brilliant Dr Who stories ever if not for the numerous spoilers about the characters returning in the show, which took the edge off it, months in advance.

Yeah, I agree. Bit of a stupid move on the part of the BBC.

On May 29, 2017 at 4:03 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

I bought "The Power of the Daleks" today at Best Buy on the cheap.

I know it's animated, but I was always thought Anneke Wills was a cutie (now 75) and only saw her in "The War Machines."

Anybody catch it yet?

How did you like it? As a story, I think it's really excellent, but this episode has always had a special appeal to me along with other lost episodes such as Fury from the Deep, Celestial Toymaker, and Evil of the Daleks. I think the animation was a little rough, but the Behind The Scenes basically said they had a very limited time to do it, so they certainly get a pass for that in my mind. And yes, Anneke was quite a hot bit of crumpet, she's one of my favorite companions, and I also love the "mod" aspect she and Ben brought to the show. 

8 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

How did you like it? As a story, I think it's really excellent, but this episode has always had a special appeal to me along with other lost episodes such as Fury from the Deep, Celestial Toymaker, and Evil of the Daleks. I think the animation was a little rough, but the Behind The Scenes basically said they had a very limited time to do it, so they certainly get a pass for that in my mind. And yes, Anneke was quite a hot bit of crumpet, she's one of my favorite companions, and I also love the "mod" aspect she and Ben brought to the show. 

lol You got me. I only bought it because of Polly.

I was never a fan of Patrick Troughtman (yeah, The Omen.) But, I try to pick up anything with Anneke Wills in it. She was great. I wish I could find that show she was in called "Strange Report" someday on disc.

But, it was a really good episode. I'm going check out the behind the scenes this weekend.

3 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

lol You got me. I only bought it because of Polly.

I was never a fan of Patrick Troughtman (yeah, The Omen.) But, I try to pick up anything with Anneke Wills in it. She was great. I wish I could find that show she was in called "Strange Report" someday on disc.

But, it was a really good episode. I'm going check out the behind the scenes this weekend.

Hey, I don't blame you one bit. Troughton took a long time for me to get into. They didn't air his episodes on my local PBS station, started with Pertwee up to the current doctor, then started over again at Pertwee. Eventually I'd seen them all multiple times, so I started digging further back. I'd been buying the novelizations from WH Allen at my LCS as they came out, so I'd already developed a sort of mystique around that era in my mind and Doctor Who Magazine always had great pics and articles on that era which really piqued my interest.

While you're on Amazon picking up Hitchcock DVD's, pick up Web of Fear, an episode only recently recovered. The first episode of that story is just classic "monster" Who with a touch of gothic Hammer Horror. That might get you hooked. I also recommend the Lost in Time Collection which gives you a fragmented smattering of many incomplete episodes, but it's really a great survey of Hartnell and Troughton (and really cheap now, apparently). Seeds of Death, The Invasion, Enemy of the World and Tomb of the Cybermen are other Troughton high points as far as existing complete episodes.

One of the absolute, all-time best Dr Who stories.  A shame it was spoiled months in advance, and the disclosure took the edge off it quite a bit.

Lots of variety, from the science of space-time to dark, creepy, intense, gothic environments, to the nature of identity and some dry, clever humour.

Excellent writing and direction.

Yes, I was impressed.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I'm totally in the dark to what you guys are talking about.

Gonna be great when I do see it in July or August, when the Blu Ray comes out.

Better avoid this thread in the meantime.

Later!

Don't you get BBC America?

3 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Don't you get BBC America?

Nope. I gave up cable 6 years ago.

I never have time to watch it and I crave Blu Ray/ DVD extras.

I think the complete series 10 is going to be released late July or early August.

I can wait. :)

(but I can't) lol