• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Creepy Carrie, Creepy Carrie!

I thought I heard that was Betty Buckley's voice used as the boy on the bicycle.  Or it was on the documentary.  Made it even more special.

I watched DePalma's "Sisters" on Criterion on Thanksgiving.  Gonna look for Carrie now (maybe Blow Out next.) lol 

What is everyone's favourite Matt Smith episode ?  For me it's The Doctor's Wife.  I think he does "old man in a young body" so well. I had my doubts when they said he would be taking over from David Tennant but was very happy.  I've given up on this latest season :cry:

21 minutes ago, Max Carnage said:

What is everyone's favourite Matt Smith episode ?  For me it's The Doctor's Wife.  I think he does "old man in a young body" so well. I had my doubts when they said he would be taking over from David Tennant but was very happy.  

He did didn't he. Apart from looking 'odd' - I always thought his face had a slightly unfinished look to it (and I mean that in a nice way, if that's possible to be a nice thing to say) - he made you believe he was a centuries old being, revelling in the thrill of a young powerful body. It all felt right. Matt is a great physical actor. I'll have to think about my favourite episode of his as I don't always remember the titles anymore. Gone are the days when I could recite each seasons episodes in order - comes of being old I guess. Young spirit in an old body! 

29 minutes ago, Max Carnage said:

I've given up on this latest season :cry:

I'm not going to slag of the current season anymore as it's not what I want to do. We need to be positive in life I think.

hm

Oh sod it.

It's positively rubbish. 

4 hours ago, Max Carnage said:

What is everyone's favourite Matt Smith episode ?  For me it's The Doctor's Wife.  I think he does "old man in a young body" so well. I had my doubts when they said he would be taking over from David Tennant but was very happy.  I've given up on this latest season :cry:

The Eleventh Hour for me.

It felt like a fairy tale.  I tend to write like that, even if it's about a gruesome murder.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-goffstown-news/a-new-boston-tragedy-the-lonely-ballad-of-sevilla-and-henry/10155898143850505

The character of Amelia Pond made that episode a classic.  It was a great jumping on point for newbies. 

Like myself, after leaving the series in '91.

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

He was more bad-azz when he was Peter Davison's "baddie" during his run.

Good old Maxil. Terrible suit though.  In fact, Colin never did get a decent suit on the show did he....

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Well, even back then, the almost flawless "Androids of Tara"...

729582129_The-Taran-Wood-Beast-The-Androids-of-Tara.jpg.dbd97a314548852622ceb249c932852c.jpg

See, he never had one decent suit did Colin.

hm

It's not him is it.

7 hours ago, Max Carnage said:

I liked most of Matt's episodes, apart from the Chibnall-scripted stuff (didn't like his writing back then).  Lots of excellent episodes to choose from but I thought the two-parter, 'The Time of Angels' and 'Flesh of Stone' was especially good.

Matt would probably rate as my favourite Doctor in the re-boot, with Capaldi second.  Whittaker's at the bottom (of the barrel?).

4 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Well, even back then, the almost flawless "Androids of Tara"...

who-tara01.thumb.jpg.86cd9273a68c52e12470bf7e8fc1db03.jpg

Can have a major suit flaw. LOL

729582129_The-Taran-Wood-Beast-The-Androids-of-Tara.jpg.dbd97a314548852622ceb249c932852c.jpg

I’ve heard so many praise Androids of Tara but for me it was a slog to get through. 

I’m starting to think that rather than an over-all Doctor Who fan, I’m just a fan of the “gothic” stuff. 

Speaking of which...

They announced the release of Season 7 of Tom Baker (actually Season 18 of the entire series) on blu-ray in March. 

A bit torn on this release. Tom’s later stories aren’t my favorites. And I believe BBC is using pre-sales as the gauge as to whether to continue releases in the US. I want to support the line, but pre-order price now is $80 on Amazon. The price will likely drop before release. But I paid about $50-some for Season 1 pre-order only to see the price drop to $35 after release. Plus having to get replacement discs doesn’t exactly make me want to pay top dollar for these. 

On the flip-side, this has State of Decay. Never seen that story - heard it’s not that great so not holding my breath - but I listened to the audio book version of it as a teenager. Read by Tom Baker which was great. Still have my original cassettes. 

4EDCA592-711C-48FA-AABF-C83C464AAFAA.jpeg

61CED4CF-5FF5-4FE1-97B6-0F51FD5574AC.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:24 AM, Number 6 said:

Tom’s later stories aren’t my favorites.

On the flip-side, this has State of Decay. Never seen that story - heard it’s not that great so not holding my breath - but I listened to the audio book version of it as a teenager. Read by Tom Baker which was great. Still have my original cassettes. 

I'm not a huge fan of Tom's later stories under producer Graham Williams.  'City of Death' was pretty good and I must confess to actually being quite fond of 'State of Decay'.  

I try to avoid going the route of buying stuff over and over again to keep pace with technological improvements . . . except for the exceptional material.  

Talking of which (in addition to 'Outer Limits', which carries my STRONGEST recommendation), the original 'Quatermass and the Pit' TV serial has recently been re-released on Blu-ray.  It's a pot-boiler of a story that really benefits from the high-def treatment.  Check it out!

19 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Talking of which (in addition to 'Outer Limits', which carries my STRONGEST recommendation), the original 'Quatermass and the Pit' TV serial has recently been re-released on Blu-ray.  It's a pot-boiler of a story that really benefits from the high-def treatment.  Check it out!

Certainly the best of the films.  I've never seen the TV series.

So that was that. A few elements that worked in the final episode of the season but nothing too dramatic. A fairly obvious return.

No Christmas day episode from Chibbers, breaking with tradition. And now there will be no season next year. We'll have to wait until 2020 for that.

Apart from the odd fleeting reference here and there - the Slitheen get a mention in last night's season closer - there has been hardly anything of the Doctors DNA in this series. Probably a deliberate act, break with the past etc. Take out the Tardis and you could almost say it was a different character leading a time travelling show with some cheeky similarities to Doctor Who. 

I read this morning that the production team are delighted with the public's response to the new Doctor. 

Happy days. 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I read this morning that the production team are delighted with the public's response to the new Doctor. 

I was under the impression that the series had been polarising, but there are enough positives available to provide confirmation bias and disregard the many negatives.  Even when one such negative was from Colin Baker.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I was under the impression that the series had been polarising, but there are enough positives available to provide confirmation bias and disregard the many negatives.  Even when one such negative was from Colin Baker.

What did he say Paul? I haven't seen that.

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What did he say Paul? I haven't seen that.

I’ve just read a previous post again.  

On re-reading it it’s just someone on Facebook being sarcastic.

But, I don’t disagree.

Edited by Ken Aldred