• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

This is just a list of ones of Tom Baker ones that I have seen recently.

By no means is this a complete list, as I haven't seen Hand of Fear, Planet of Fear, something of the Fendahl, Revenge of the Cybermen, etc, yet.

After watching The Power of Kroll and The Pirate Planet (which I thought were awesome as a kid,) I am being more selective with episodes now (meaning no Robot, etc. first.)  I'm more out to see ones like Terror of the Zygons.

...and I'm going to be sporadically doing these viewings, as long as they stay fun to do. :) 

The best!

1. The Talons of Weng-Chiang

2. Genesis of the Daleks

3. Pyramids of Mars

4. The Deadly Assassin

5. City of Death

6. The Brain of Morbius

7. The Horror of Fang Rock

8. Robots of Death

9. Seeds of Doom

10. Face of Evil

11. The Stones of Blood

Pretty good still, actually better than I remember them as being.

1. The Masque of the Mandragora

2. The Androids of Tara

3. The Invisible Enemy

4. The Android Invasion

5. The Ribos Operation

6. The Sunmakers

7. The Leisure Hive

8. Destiny of the Daleks

9. Shada

Time hasn’t been so kind.

1. The Armageddon Factor

2. The Pirate Planet

3. The Power of Kroll

11 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:
  1. The Talons of Weng-Chiang

2. Genesis of the Daleks

3. Pyramids of Mars

4. The Deadly Assassin

5. City of Death

6. The Brain of Morbius

What a great list. I read all the Target novels too as a kid. Those were the days....

1 hour ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Strangely, I only read the Peter Davison ones. :/ 

That is strange :insane:

Good old Terrance Dicks - the same description of Tom Baker in every book. The 'shock of curly hair'.....etc. I wonder how they would read now, to an adult. A bit basic probably - much like some of the episodes they were based on!

That said, I wish I was back in the 80's...

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That is strange :insane:

Good old Terrance Dicks - the same description of Tom Baker in every book. The 'shock of curly hair'.....etc. I wonder how they would read now, to an adult. A bit basic probably - much like some of the episodes they were based on!

That said, I wish I was back in the 80's...

Oddly, I got a Doctor Who book in a bunch of folklore books, I just bought.

Day of the Daleks.

But, it smelled like poop, so I threw it away. lol 

The New Year's Day Special makes me want to break out into a song . . . *

Don't blame it on the sunshine
Don't blame it on the moonlight
Don't blame it on the good times
Blame it on the Chibnall

*  With apologies to The Jackson's 'Blame it on the Boogie'.

Not impressed.

Spoiler

Not too bad by Chibnall's abysmal standards to begin with, but a terrible second half.

Amazing what you can create using a bit of scrap metal in a builders' shed, including an advanced aerial propulsion system and missiles.

The weaponised microwave was telegraphed a mile off.

Bollocks, I say.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The title of the show becomes more appropriate with each episode. Dr Who? Under Chibnall, I've no idea. Jodie Whitterer is not the Doctor. Everything else, good or bad, is therefore irrelevant.

The whole series was terrible, including the New Year episode. "The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos" (last episode of the season) was fairly good, but that's about as far as I'm prepared to go. I would've enjoyed "The Demons of the Punjab" if it didn't feature The Doctor. The Beeb need to cancel this mess.

Whittaker is worse than Ecclestone and McGann put together.

Edited by Batman

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:15 AM, The Voord said:

Funniest comment on FB for tonight:

"Actually, Colin Baker just called. Our 6th Doctor wants to thank Jodie for taking over (finally) as the WORST DOCTOR EVER! He really is happy to lose that title and looks forward to her sinking even lower in the cesspool of Doctor Woke."

I would agree with you except that was Ecclestone. I thought Colin Baker was better than McCoy, although there wasn't much in it.

Edited by Batman

15 hours ago, Batman said:

The whole series was terrible, including the New Year episode. "The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos" (last episode of the season) was fairly good, but that's about as far as I'm prepared to go. I would've enjoyed "The Demons of the Punjab" if it didn't feature The Doctor. The Beeb need to cancel this mess.

Whittaker is worse than Ecclestone and McGann put together.

There are little bits that have worked, and worked well. I liked the Punjab episodes spirit and story. But the Doctor and the 'fam' ruined it by being in it. Every time the Whitterer appears the story sags. She is so underwritten, annoying and unenigmatic that she is the worst thing in her own show. Be honest, are we really expected to believe that this woman is the continuation of the previous incarnations? A handful of "I used to..." type comments, often shoe-horned in, do not represent the continuation of the character to me. How have we gone from Capaldi effectively wanting to die through the weariness of the constant good vs evil struggle to this superficially bubbly non entity?  Tennant was often dark and brooding - "Have I gone too far?" The Doctor is the programme. He should be the centre and soul of everything. Jodie has no element to her. No fear,  no darkness, melancholy, intent. Just bobs along 'helping out'. Not one reference to her regeneration. No signal of her mood or direction. 

Chibnall can't handle the genre. We go from Daleks blowing up tanks to Ryan in a cafe with his Dad for 5 minutes trying to bond while the world ends. Who gives one damn about Ryan, or his Dad? What have we been given, to care about this aspect of this woefully underwritten, unrealistic person? What did Yaz do in the new year episode? Was she there? There's a reason why good show makers stick to one or two companions. You simply can't do each justice in a one hour show slot. Chibnall is good at human drama,  but needs the right format to develop it. Dr Who isn't it. He can't work out how to merge the right kind of human drama with a fantasy storyline. So each episode feels like someone has chopped up an episode of Star Trek and an episode of Broadchurch and sellotaped them together. And he has no flair for humour. The scene with the family lamenting the loss of wifi felt like he ordered it from a catalogue. 

The new year episode started well. I quite liked the two archaeologists - I learned more about them in the first five minutes than I have about the Doctor in the whole season. They were going somewhere, weren't they. Then their relationship was jettisoned as soon as the Whitterer arrived. No tie up at the end, unless I missed it making a cup of tea. In fact, the girl who ended up with the Dalek for a passenger was a better actress that Jodie. 

I've seen Jodie interviewed on the telly. She's nice. A nice, intelligent,  bubbly woman. But ask me, is she the Doctor? I say, no. No. A thousand times no. No, as in the polar opposite of yes. Have I said no yet? No. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Batman said:

I would agree with you except that was Ecclestone. I thought Colin Baker was better than McCoy, although there wasn't much in it.

Whoa, whoa, whooooaaa.

Nobody can possibly be a worse Doctor than McCoy.

If he was a good Doctor, we would have never noticed how bad the set pieces/production, directing, writing and companions were.

I held out during the C. Baker era, occasionally getting a "Trial of a Time Lord" or "Mark of the Rani" episode, but tuned out with McCoy right off.:sorry:

Won "Image of the Fendhal" this morning.  Can't wait to get it.

I remember that Tom Baker one scaring me.

Watched a little "Talons of Weng-Chiang" again last night.  Still a masterpiece, even if the giant rat looked too cuddly.(:

A great final Phillip Hinchcliffe production.(worship)

The "special edition" is full of stuff!

2 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Won "Image of the Fendhal" this morning.  Can't wait to get it.

I remember that Tom Baker one scaring me.

Watched a little "Talons of Weng-Chiang" again last night.  Still a masterpiece, even if the giant rat looked too cuddly.(:

A great final Phillip Hinchcliffe production.(worship)

The "special edition" is full of stuff!

As a story, Image of the Fendahl is alright. The series last stab at gothic horror for awhile. 

As far as being scary, if you listen to the audio commentary you can hear the actors all sniggering about how the Fendahl look like male members. Pretty much kills the “fear factor”. 

To me, what makes the Fendahl story great is the performances. If you enjoy watching talented character actors excel at their trade, you’ll really enjoy the story. 

11 hours ago, Number 6 said:

As far as being scary, if you listen to the audio commentary you can hear the actors all sniggering about how the Fendahl look like male members. Pretty much kills the “fear factor”. 

They had the same problem with "The Creature from the Pit" from what I heard. lol 

21 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Whoa, whoa, whooooaaa.

Nobody can possibly be a worse Doctor than McCoy.

If he was a good Doctor, we would have never noticed how bad the set pieces/production, directing, writing and companions were.

I held out during the C. Baker era, occasionally getting a "Trial of a Time Lord" or "Mark of the Rani" episode, but tuned out with McCoy right off.:sorry:

Nope. I have three words for you... McGann. Ecclestone. Whittaker.

McGann blew it by being the kissy Doctor.

Ecclestone was so wooden his nose grew every time he claimed he was leaving due to "accent issues".

Whittaker is just plain awful, with or without terrible writing.

34 minutes ago, Batman said:

Nope. I have three words for you... McGann. Ecclestone. Whittaker.

McGann blew it by being the kissy Doctor.

Ecclestone was so wooden his nose grew every time he claimed he was leaving due to "accent issues".

Whittaker is just plain awful, with or without terrible writing.

I don't think you can include McGann, as he wasn't around long enough to do anything worth judging. But Ecclestone,  yes. Very yes. Very yes plus.

And you can't include Whittaker either as she isn't the Doctor.  You have to be the Doctor to be a bad one. And she isn't.  The Doctor. Not in any shape or form. 

Can someone change my record please? It's stuck on Whitterer is terrible. See, there I go again. Help me.