• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

I think he was way too abrasive and snappy for a lot of people, especially with the troubled regeneration. I actually liked him (he was the first doctor I met in person), but my problem was more with the quality of the stories during his era, which was pretty lackluster. Mark of the Rani was great, maybe Two Doctors, but beyond that I'm stretching to even remember anything. He was also severely impacted by the "lost season", which, sadly, was set to feature the return of the Celestial Toymaker. Lots of negative publicity yummy cheesecake came out of his era, IIRC.

But, Peri.

; )

Ah, let me fix my post, then.

Until the internet, I had no idea she wasn't American.

I was remembering that as well. I heard people criticizing her "fake" American accent later on, but I never had a clue she was British until then, so I guess if she fooled an American it was actually quite good.

I remember my father just adored her and was glad they finally cast an American as a companion. lol

I think he was way too abrasive and snappy for a lot of people, especially with the troubled regeneration. I actually liked him (he was the first doctor I met in person), but my problem was more with the quality of the stories during his era, which was pretty lackluster. Mark of the Rani was great, maybe Two Doctors, but beyond that I'm stretching to even remember anything. He was also severely impacted by the "lost season", which, sadly, was set to feature the return of the Celestial Toymaker. Lots of negative publicity came out of his era, IIRC.

I think I've only seen a couple of Colin Baker stories, I wasn't real impressed with either. But I think that could be attributed largely to the quality of writing, JNT's overall influence on the tone of the show, and that clown costume which is impossible to ignore.

If I focus on just Baker's performance, I agree, I actually like his portrayal of the Doctor.

Getting closer to Christmas with every day. Been weird a year with no Doctor.

Bought myself this storyboard page last week.

QGfTAxOV_0209161613041gpadd.jpg

Anybody going to watch 'Class'? It's just finished shooting and Mike Collins (who works on the storyboards) described it as a cross between Buffy and Torchwood.

Picked up every new series 1-9 and have been meticulously watching. I've been loving most of the episodes.

Got a bunch of Tom Baker ones too. Never realized how great Genesis of the Daleks was. Stones of Blood was pretty good too, I never noticed how feminist it was. Pyramids of Mars is a great Halloween episode that reasonably holds up well, whereas The Invasion of Time is a downright turkey after the Sontarans invade the TARDIS. I didn't remember how cheesy that was. Speaking of Cheesy, I can't get the K-9 and Company('81) theme-song out of my head. "K-9... K-9... K-9!" :P

When I was a kid my mom and I had nicknames for all the doctors. (She was a big sci fi fan)

Doctor #

1. Old who. Cause he kinda looked like a grandpa.

2. Moe who. From the 3 stooges.

3. Active who. He was pretty action oriented compared to the others.

4. Scarf who. But really didn't have a nickname because that was the one we liked best.

5. Celery who. From his costume.

6. Killer who. Because I think he killed someone in his first episode. Which stuck out.

Does anyone on here have a TARDIS-like thing in their community, that no one seems to notice, but it's out there in the open?

Something old-fashioned, that people could go into.

I worked in something like the TARDIS in an article I'm writing and was curious if you guys had something similar.

I'm just going to say "The Talons of Weng-Chiang," was Tom Baker's best story. It had all the gothic elements down, Louise Jameson had her Leela role figured totally out for depth, the henchman Mr. Sin might have been a dummy, but was scarier than an army of Cybermen. With "Pyramids of Mars" & "Genesis of the Daleks," these were the top three of his era.

My fondest memories are of Logopolis (with The Watcher), however having rewatched it recently, all the good stuff is in the first two episodes.
Yup, felt that too. Could never stand Adric or the question marks on his shirt collars (after The Leisure Hive) anyway.

Did anyone notice that Power of the Daleks is going to be shown in theaters November 14th (USA, don't know if UK is getting it).?

I happened to catch it while checking upcoming events on the Fathom website. When I saw it pop up, my first thought was that the original episode miraculously had been found and it was such an event it demanded a theatrical release. Well, that's not quite what's going on, but they have done an animated reconstruction to accompany the original audio track. The animation stuff has been hit-or-miss for me, with the more recent attempts in the "miss" category. I'm still pretty excited for it. This, along with Evil of the Daleks, has always been one of those "holy grail" episodes for myself and many other Whovians. Beyond the fact that it's the first regeneration episode, it's also a great story. Also, Polly :cloud9: I've got the Audio CD and the novelization, both are superb. So glad I stumbled upon this.

Watching Jon Pertwee's "Day of the Daleks" DVD.

I'm saying Jo was at her most adorable, with her denim jumper and white go-go boots.

Can't help but notice she wasn't doing the commentary though.

Probably too embarrassed with her occasional dialogue in some episodes.

Disclaimer: This is exaggerated.

Jo "Doctor, what's that?"

Doctor "It's a ray gun."

Jo "Oh dear. What's a ray gun?"

Doctor "Seriously? [beat] It's a gun that shoots rays"

Jo "Oh no. Are rays dangerous?"

She definitely was a trailblazer for Nicola Bryant's Perry. But her successor, Elizabeth Sladen probably felt like Meryl Streep, when she started.