• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watchmen The Ultimate Cut 4k Ultra HD blu-ray...
1 1

38 posts in this topic

...is being released next week. On Amazon.com it's currently at the retail price of $45. Walmart currently has it for the pre-order price of $35.28 if anyone is interested (would prefer Target over Walmart but it's not listed on Target.com).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGXDR4U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Watchmen-The-Ultimate-Cut-The-Complete-Story-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Digital-HD-With-UltraViolet/53942270?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=51320962143&veh=sem

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

That would be impressive, but the standard 1080p version is itself superb on mid-size TVs.

In the nearly 10 years since its release, Zack Snyder's Watchmen has become a seminal moment in the world of superhero cinema, with some fans praising the director's visionary take on the classic comic book while detractors point out a variety of the film's shortcomings. Looking back on the experience, star Jeffrey Dean Morgan calls the film "ahead of its time," which could be the reasoning behind the divergent opinions.

"I'm very proud of that movie. People are still finding it and watching it and I think it'll have fans forever. I think it was ahead of its time," Morgan shared with Variety. "I don't know what else to say, other than I'm extremely proud of it. Not long ago, I caught the second half of the film, just flipping channels, and loved it. It was great."

I have this in 4K, we fast forward through the animation scenes on this one. I really do not like them.

The transfer is slightly better than the blu-ray with some mild HDR. Not bad but it won't blow you away.

I'd have to agree w/ Bosco...Derrickson...and Morgan...

I just re-watched the 'ultimate' cut in 4K this week, and have to say its one of my 'ultimate' favorite comic genre movies.

Great acting...costumes...cinematography...effects...

I know its probably blasphemy to say it, but for the purpose of translating to film, I enjoyed Zach Snyder's final act more than Alan Moore's.

My only issue w/ the Ultimate cut is the run-time, though there's so much goodness I don't what I would cut-out.

I believe its just under 4 hours...so I watched it over two nights instead of trying to plow through in one sitting.

Perhaps it could have done better in its original release if it was 2 movies (2hrs each)?

On 4/5/2018 at 7:29 PM, Rip said:

The transfer is slightly better than the blu-ray with some mild HDR.

"Slightly" better is right.  As is the case with so many 4K films at this point this isn't a real 4K version since they upscaled it from a 2K master.  I don't think ANY of the DC superhero films are truly 4K other than Nolan's re-release of the Dark Knight films on 4K this past Christmas.  Even recent releases like Wonder Woman and Justice League are both fake 4K.

My understanding of the Ultimate Cut is that the only difference between it and the older Director's Cut is the Black Freighter comic spliced in as it was in the comic.  Zack Snyder has said he prefers the Director's Cut to the Ultimate Cut and doesn't think the Black Freighter scenes flow well with the rest of the film.  I LOVE the Director's Cut...some of the added material from the original release is great.  I particularly loved the scene showing the death of the original Nite Owl and the accompanying scene where Nite Owl 2 learns of the death and beats the snot out of one of the members of the gang who did it.

21 hours ago, philsbackpack said:

I know its probably blasphemy to say it, but for the purpose of translating to film, I enjoyed Zach Snyder's final act more than Alan Moore's.

Not blasphemy to me. This is by far my favorite Super-Hero genre movie and I agree that the ending surpasses Moore's.

I read Watchmen long before the film and didn't really like the Black Freighter stuff there, either.  I respected the innovative approach but hated the content of those parts.

The interdimensional squid was just bizarre.  Having Dr. Manhattan fill that same role makes far more sense.

On 5/22/2018 at 5:45 PM, RedRaven said:

Not blasphemy to me. This is by far my favorite Super-Hero genre movie and I agree that the ending surpasses Moore's.

How times change. I remember agreeing with both of you that Snyder’s Watchmen ending was better than Moore’s. Comic book squid would have been so cheesy on film. Until I saw it in the Watchmen HBO series and it was literally bigger than life. I was in awe of how they portrayed it. 

3 hours ago, Oddball said:

How times change. I remember agreeing with both of you that Snyder’s Watchmen ending was better than Moore’s. Comic book squid would have been so cheesy on film. Until I saw it in the Watchmen HBO series and it was literally bigger than life. I was in awe of how they portrayed it.

I chalk that up to the maturity of audiences with superhero films.

Think about it. Years ago we had so little comic book properties, it was easy to happen across ridicule with certain concepts versus suspending disbelief. Nowadays, these things are so common it is much easier to pitch humans flying around in capes over the Earth and into space along with the wildest of character and scenario concepts. Audiences just accept these things now.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, Oddball said:

Completely agree with you, I really enjoy both now.  The mini-series vastly exceeded my own expectations.  And the way they played the monster Squid (and little squids) played perfectly.  I only wish there was more... No 2nd season as of this time.  I guess Damon is not interested :(