• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sketches in Hardcovers - Anyone else collect these?

89 posts in this topic

I have, I think, one sketch in one hardcover. But if you were going to have one...

163362.jpg

From now on I am referring to you only as "Phil".

I didn't know Doug Sneyd put out a book. I love those playboy cartoons.

Doug has two books. Dark Horse published The Art of Doug Sneyd in hardcover in 2011. A paperback version is due soon.

Doug published his own softcover Unpublished which features his unpublished rough submissions.

This is Doug's blog written by his friend Heidi. She told me they are skipping San Diego this year. There are posts from other cons they do.

Best,

Steven Ng

I recently started requesting sketch commissions in hardcovers as well. Don't have enough space on the walls, but it's always a gem to see these when re-reading. Thanks to Felix for this one:

2r2sk80.jpg

So much detail in that piece - very cool. I like it when they leave the pencils too, so you can see some of the process.

From Guy Davis in his: Honour Among Punks: The Complete Baker Street Graphic Novel:

Guy did a sketch for me of Sam and Lady Goth in the front of my copy. I like how he used his sketch to frame the printed image of Sharon and Susan.

bakerstreetsketch.jpg

Guy has such a unique, recognizable style. I really like it.

Nice Bone! And a great Batman by Stelfreeze.

Thanks! The Stelfreeze is in the back of my "Sixty Years of DC Comics" hardcover. I used to take it to every show I attended, and would get every creator who had ever worked at DC comics that I could find to sign it. I handed the book to Stelfreeze expecting him to sign inside the front cover, but instead he flipped to the back endpage, and proceeded to do that great Batman for me, and refused to take any money for it! One of my favorites for sure.

Someday I'll get around to scanning all of the signatures in that book. Lots of memories!

It's not an official publication, but I have sketches from Graham Nolan and Chuck Dixon in my custom Bane hardcover.

Even better!

Awesome.

OT:

I only have done three custom binds: the Invisibles series (before they recently did a HC).

I like the design you chose for the binding and printing. It's also fun to make your own dust jackets. I don't have the equipment or software to do it myself, so I bought a cheap promo poster and cut it to size, then placed a brodart cover on it and I think they look great:

InvisiblesVol1.jpg

IMG_6082.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg