• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Appearance of Ash and Pikachu (Pokemon)
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Would that be Pokémon: the Electric Talent of Pikachu? I think Viz comics put out those Nintendo/Pokémon comics back in the 90's. I can't think of anything previous so if someone knows I'm interested too. With the recent popularity of Pokemon Go could those books see increased demand? No idea myself...

Edited by mojomikey

1 hour ago, hoffitmus prime said:

Since there were 16 printings of this, does anyone know if you can tell which is the first print? As far as I can gather the only discernible difference is early printings or first print has barcode on front. Any ideas? 

I don't think there's any reliable method based on the covers. You're likely going to have to open the book and check the indicia.

So, I tried to dig into this a little bit. I don't have physical copies of these at hand, and haven't for years and years. Certainly, several retailers (including Chuck) list and price sundry printing separately. I really do assume that there's a colophon in there somewhere. However, I also have good news and bad news, depending on how strict you are about what constitutes a "first [English] appearance".

The first US printing of Pokémon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu was released by Viz on November 27, 1998. At least some comic sites consider this the first appearance of Pikachu (and Ash, but really, people are in it for the Pikachu, right?) in English comics. This book is now on [at least] the 16th printing. If not for the pandemic, I could probably scare up some physical copies and conclusively determine how to identify the printing. But... as it turns out, arguably, that's not the first appearance of Ash and Pikachu anyway.

A few days earlier, on November 24, Viz released the first VHS compilation of episodes of the Pokémon anime (Pokémon: I Choose You! Pikachu!). Some initial run copies of this VHS tape were packaged with a so-called "manga sampler" ediiton of Pokémon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu 1. This sampler edition is shorter than the normal comic and simply cuts off the story midway through. It is also easily distinguishable from traditionally-released versions of the comic due to the modified cover. Nevertheless, it arguably qualifies as these characters' actual first appearance in English comics (and Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia, considers it such). I've never actually seen one of these, for what it's worth, and none of the comic book indexes or sales sites (GCD, MyComicShop, and even Chuck) make any mention of its existence. Locating a copy will be a lengthy and difficult quest, but I have found and attached a cover scan at least.

For the sake of providing comprehensive information, there is also a similar "manga sampler" edition for Pokémon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu 2, released in the same way as a VHS pack-in, but no equivalent versions are known for the later monthly comic issues.

398px-ET01_sampler_1.png

1 hour ago, hoffitmus prime said:

Above and beyond. Thanks!! Well I bought a NM copy this week of issue 1 if it’s not first print I guess whatever.. I kind of feel I’d rather have that than the VHS one but I’ll keep me eye out for it. Sounds interesting. Thanks again detective. 

If/when you have it in hand, I'd be very interested to see if the indicia/colophon gives any indication of the printing. I assume it does, in some fashion.

On 10/21/2023 at 10:04 AM, Pacino13 said:

When looking up other comics i also see pokemon the first movie mewtwo strikes back #1 (viz media) as being published jan 1 1998 so that would pre-date both the above mentioned books. 

Most items listed as "January 1" are from sometime during that year.  When people know what year something was produced but not the exact date, they just put in the year.  "January 1" is automatic, so it gets added even though there's little chance it was actually January 1st.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:27 AM, Qalyar said:

So, I tried to dig into this a little bit. I don't have physical copies of these at hand, and haven't for years and years. Certainly, several retailers (including Chuck) list and price sundry printing separately. I really do assume that there's a colophon in there somewhere. However, I also have good news and bad news, depending on how strict you are about what constitutes a "first [English] appearance".

The first US printing of Pokémon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu was released by Viz on November 27, 1998. At least some comic sites consider this the first appearance of Pikachu (and Ash, but really, people are in it for the Pikachu, right?) in English comics. This book is now on [at least] the 16th printing. If not for the pandemic, I could probably scare up some physical copies and conclusively determine how to identify the printing. But... as it turns out, arguably, that's not the first appearance of Ash and Pikachu anyway.

A few days earlier, on November 24, Viz released the first VHS compilation of episodes of the Pokémon anime (Pokémon: I Choose You! Pikachu!). Some initial run copies of this VHS tape were packaged with a so-called "manga sampler" ediiton of Pokémon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu 1. This sampler edition is shorter than the normal comic and simply cuts off the story midway through. It is also easily distinguishable from traditionally-released versions of the comic due to the modified cover. Nevertheless, it arguably qualifies as these characters' actual first appearance in English comics (and Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia, considers it such). I've never actually seen one of these, for what it's worth, and none of the comic book indexes or sales sites (GCD, MyComicShop, and even Chuck) make any mention of its existence. Locating a copy will be a lengthy and difficult quest, but I have found and attached a cover scan at least.

For the sake of providing comprehensive information, there is also a similar "manga sampler" edition for Pokémon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu 2, released in the same way as a VHS pack-in, but no equivalent versions are known for the later monthly comic issues.

398px-ET01_sampler_1.png

I have a copy of this now.  Strangely enough, it says 2nd print.

On 10/23/2023 at 12:17 PM, valiantman said:

Most items listed as "January 1" are from sometime during that year.  When people know what year something was produced but not the exact date, they just put in the year.  "January 1" is automatic, so it gets added even though there's little chance it was actually January 1st.

Hey. Yea that makes sense. After some more digging there is also a small comic called pokemon power #1 that was included inside a nintendo power magazine. The magazine was out august 1998 soit would predate the electric tales issue. And it has story with ash and pikachu inside.