• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoCollect vs. GPA
2 2

69 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2020 at 8:39 AM, thunsicker said:

@jhm Speaking of changing in 4 years...

Can you let us know what sources of data GoCollect uses now?  You may have in other threads, but I don’t remember seeing it, and couldn’t find it on your site.  Above he says three major auction houses.  Which I assume would be Heritage, Comiclink, and Comicconnect, do you have unfettered access to the Comiclink data?  Or is it the cherry picked data they offered George?

We track eBay, Heritage, ComicConnect, Hake's. We also provide links to known ComicLink auctions, but many of them lead to dead pages once they decide to disable viewing them (note - the links still work if you bid within the auction). I've tried for years to get CL to go public with their data, but "the main man" over there continues to refuse... too much to hide? I have no idea. I've actually personally stopped buying/selling there due to my dealings with him over the past year.

GPA allows private dealers to submit sales without needing to provide public-facing proof of the sale. GoCollect requires full transparency by the seller to participate in our sale listings areas. That's done by providing a link to the sale that is expected to remain active after the sale/auction has ended. We are happy to add any reputable seller that agrees to follow the transparency guidelines.

On 2/26/2020 at 4:14 AM, Gaard said:

I can only comment on my experience. GC is great for SA thru MA, if looking up a book that isn't too uncommon. If needing sales data on GA (or uncommon books) it's kind of hit-n-miss.

I do think it's very beneficial that GC supplies pictures ... make things a lot easier for me.

I'm personally a heavy GA collector and originally created GoCollect to support my multi-million dollar addiction. We may be missing a small handful of GA sales that are reported to GPA, but that's likely because the seller doesn't conform to our transparency guidelines. Sales in your GoCollect account list not only the sold price, but all of the pertinent sale information and a link to the original sale. But MOST IMPORTANTLY (for me anyhow) we also provide a picture of the actual comic sold. For a GA collector, this is crucial to truly understand the value of a book you're bidding on. Not only does it help to better understand why the grade was assigned, it also help to detect when a book was cracked and re-slabbed... often times with an added press and a grade bump. When I drop anything more than $1,000 on a comic book I'm seeing it as an investment. And I like as much info as possible when I invest ;)

On 2/27/2020 at 2:02 AM, Aman619 said:

good resource for matching comics by using the pics... but too many modern books have no FMV.  they should fill these gaps if they want to run a price guide!

Bear in mind that the FMV's are provided as a "number crunch" of the sales we've tracked. It is not speculative pricing like a typical guide would use. We strongly recommend diving into a subscriber account to get a true sense of the data we provide. Just because an FMV is missing, the subscriber account is still able to see all of the sales that we tracked on that comic... helping you to determine the best price to pay.

@jhm , in the end I chose GoCollect as the price difference did not seem worthwhile . Was wondering if maybe in a future update would it be possible to add graphs for each grade with how the price varied in a select period of time . Really enjoying the service , just wish the other major 3rd party grader would get some more love as I have a few slabs from them .

@jhm i also chose to use gocollect over gpa, and i prefer the site. being able to save individual issue numbers is a big plus, and the photos of every book listed are also important to me. also including relevant data like CL sales is important and unique to gocollect.

i'd like to see a graph of historical prices, as that's a very easy and quick way to determine the direction a book's value is headed. and i also find the site crashing more than most. those are the only two issues that i suggest looking at. 

CLink data missing drives me insane!  Perfect example, a Mask Comics 1 CGC 4.5 just sold on 12/2/20 on CLink for $13,001 - however, neither gocollect or GPA report it, it's also not listed on clink under sales.  The last recorded sale was $16,866 on ComicConnect  on 5/22/20 - and yes, it was the exact same copy.

Edited by RedGiant

On 1/6/2021 at 6:18 AM, Ares said:

if I can look up go collect data with no cost from their website what are the benefits of subscribing?

I am currently in my 30 day trial... so I can see everything and, frankly, I really like what I can see. The main limitation is the lack of historic data beyond recent history. I haven’t looked into this deeply, but it seems to relate to the volume of sales. If you’re looking at a book that has a lot of recent sales, you’ll see those. If it last sold three years ago, you’ll see that.  So there is some limitation on the historic data... possibly due to the limitations of the data made available to them via the selling house, such as eBay

When you are on a free account, you can still see an amazing range of data - such as fair market value for a book and that there have been X number of sales recently... but you can’t see the individual sales data that determined the FMV calculation. You can also still drill down to see things like % change in FMV, live listings on eBay, hottest comics data etc etc... 

To be honest, and at the risk of mentioning something that I hope GoCollect don’t change, I think GoCollect could entice more people to subscribe if more data and features were hidden behind the subscription. 

GoCollect really is an excellent service. While the detailed sales data is very desirable, frankly I think the biggest benefit of subscription is that it helps support the company and keep them here as a resource for collectors. 

Edited by Arkham

12 hours ago, Arkham said:

I am currently in my 30 day trial... so I can see everything and, frankly, I really like what I can see. The main limitation is the lack of historic data beyond recent history. I haven’t looked into this deeply, but it seems to relate to the volume of sales. If you’re looking at a book that has a lot of recent sales, you’ll see those. If it last sold three years ago, you’ll see that.  So there is some limitation on the historic data... possibly due to the limitations of the data made available to them via the selling house, such as eBay

When you are on a free account, you can still see an amazing range of data - such as fair market value for a book and that there have been X number of sales recently... but you can’t see the individual sales data that determined the FMV calculation. You can also still drill down to see things like % change in FMV, live listings on eBay, hottest comics data etc etc... 

To be honest, and at the risk of mentioning something that I hope GoCollect don’t change, I think GoCollect could entice more people to subscribe if more data and features were hidden behind the subscription. 

GoCollect really is an excellent service. While the detailed sales data is very desirable, frankly I think the biggest benefit of subscription is that it helps support the company and keep them here as a resource for collectors. 

I have both GPA and GoCollect.  They each of their advantages and disadvantages.  To me, the biggest weakness of GPA is the lack of Comiclink sales.  Many good books are sold in Comiclink auctions at good prices that never make GPA.    For GoCollect, they are very inconsistent posting sales.  For example, say 10 books sell in a ComicLink auction, go collect might post 3 or 4 sales within a few days while the others might never appear.  The same holds true for Ebay and Heritage sales in GoCollect.  I use them both regularly as I want as much informaiton as possible when purchasing a book.