• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine storyline recommendations?

32 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I was hoping for some recommendations on the best Wolverine story lines. I was big into him as a kid, and read maybe the first 30 or so regular series issues, but don't remember them and never read the mini. Anyway, I'm looking to get back into the character by picking up some TPB's to read, and then obviously buying my favorite stories in regular comic form.

I've done a bit of research, and the ones that seem to be pretty universally acclaimed are: Old Man Logan, Weapon X, Origin, Logan, and "Wolverine" by Claremont and Miller (is this the mini-series?)

Any +1's or -1's on the above titles, and other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, this is possibly a really stupid question, but as far as reading order, should I go by publication date, or start with Origin?

Thanks again

-Ryan

Wolverine 66-72 Old Man Logan - Best Wolverine story I have ever read

and I have read them all. Only the Mini I think is in the same category.

For pure action Enemy of the State Wolverine 20-32 is pure all out action.

loved enemy of the state. But be aware, the art is JRJR, which is not for everyone, and really shouldn't be for anyone (at least not after 1995).

Weapon X without a doubt. It was better the second time I read it. It is the perfect Sci-Fi/Horror blend.

I read old man Logan, I didn't love it as much as others but I didn't hate it so I would check it out. I got it out of the library.

Wolverine tearing through the Hellfire Club in the Dark Pheonix saga is my defining moment for the character.

Wolverine 66-72 Old Man Logan - Best Wolverine story I have ever read

and I have read them all. Only the Mini I think is in the same category.

For pure action Enemy of the State Wolverine 20-32 is pure all out action.

loved enemy of the state. But be aware, the art is JRJR, which is not for everyone, and really shouldn't be for anyone (at least not after 1995).

lol

I always loved 90's Wolverine #19-20 (Acts of Vengeance crossover) where he fights Tiger Shark. Wolverine's good, but he can't always hang with the big boys, and Tiger Shark proves it. The scene that closes 19 and opens 20 is my most memorable Wolverine moment.

I always loved 90's Wolverine #19-20 (Acts of Vengeance crossover) where he fights Tiger Shark. Wolverine's good, but he can't always hang with the big boys, and Tiger Shark proves it. The scene that closes 19 and opens 20 is my most memorable Wolverine moment.

Issues of Wolverine #79-#81 are a good example of that as well.

A lot of people can't stand Cyber. Personally, I think he is amazing, since he is the only person in the Marvel universe Wolverine has admitted to fearing.

The Archie Goodwin / John Byrne issues are stories worth having, as is issue 10's with Sabretooth.

The Best of Wolverine volume 1 is a good hardcover. It's iut of print but only like 30 bucks. I think it has Hulk 181, Captain America Annual 8, Weapon X storyline from MCP, X-Men 205 and the Wolverine miniseries from 1982.

I also remember liking Wolverine Law of the Jungle which reprinted Wolverine issues from the 180's with the organized crime storyline and the one off issue where he takes on Punisher and the writer makes fun of Punisher throughout due to an earlier Punisher issue where Wolverine was made fun of.

The Best of Wolverine volume 1 is a good hardcover. It's iut of print but only like 30 bucks. I think it has Hulk 181, Captain America Annual 8, Weapon X storyline from MCP, X-Men 205 and the Wolverine miniseries from 1982.

+1

An excellent collection of material with some really nice remastered artwork.