• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 - NEED HELP!

15 posts in this topic

I'll be able to get photos tomorrow, but I sent my CGC 8.5 Blue Label copy to get cracked/pressed/re-submitted. The person who is pressing it (who I trust 100%) told me when he checked the centerfold prior to putting it in the press, noticed that the bottom staple does not go through the centerfold. It is firm and goes through every other page and the top staple goes through all pages. This is not mentioned in the grader notes, which I purchased prior to having it cracked open. I'm really worried that the book, which I was hoping to get a 9.2 on after the press might now come back Qualified.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how this could affect the book? Is this a manufacturer error that wouldn't get hit? Is it possible the Grader missed it the first time?

So books in the press at the moment, so I won't see photos till tomorrow. Do you think it helps to send in the blue label with the book to CGC? I feel like as long as the press goes well it should definitely improve grade-wise, but I'm just a little panicked as this was not a cheap book. Will sending an 8.5 label be odd when I hoping to score in the 9's?

Just to clarify the centerfold is not loose, but from what I am being told, it is clear that the bottom staple does not protrude through the centerfold and never did. Technically it was never attached in the first place, so not sure if detached would be the correct terminology either.

As I've stated, I am pretty sure this is something they've noticed the first time it was graded, it seems like something fairly obvious.

However, my pressing knowledge is not fantastic, I am sure someone will be along to allay your fears (thumbs u

Personally, I think it will be fine.

What were the defects you were pressing in the hopes of having it grade higher? If you don't mind me asking

As I've stated, I am pretty sure this is something they've noticed the first time it was graded, it seems like something fairly obvious.

However, my pressing knowledge is not fantastic, I am sure someone will be along to allay your fears (thumbs u

Personally, I think it will be fine.

What were the defects you were pressing in the hopes of having it grade higher? If you don't mind me asking

Here is a photo of all the defects. The only thing that won't come out are 3 points of color break on the edge of the spine.

2tu36Ej.jpg

It's a good news. They graded it before even the top part of centerfold was never attached. It is part of the manufacturing defect that will not be graded. Speaking of the pressing, all defects are looking good to be pressed out. Probably it will have fewest defects after pressing. Probably it can upgrade by one grade at best. Let us know what you get. Good luck!

So the book came back 9.0 Universal Label. I think CGC was kind of tight on this one as a lot of the issues they mentioned were "small/tiny" and honestly pretty much invisible after the press. I was really hoping it would hit 9.2 (and still strongly believe it is better than 9.0 after the press which noticeably removed a lot of the defects mentioned in the prior grader notes), but after all the stress I had last Monday this was still a relief! :banana:

Yeah, CGC is pretty easy on manufacturing defects. However, maybe that kept if from grading higher?