• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2017, July 19-23, San Diego, Ca.
2 2

174 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Awax said:

I got nothing.  

First year ive never got anything 

Yikes, see if you can team up with others to score tix in the general. Also spread word to dealers in case they may have an extra exhibitor pass you could buy. 

3 hours ago, BassGMan said:

I got in for the four-day but without Preview Night.  :whee:  I'll try for PN in the general. My friend and I were both working it and actually we both got in, but he got in a minute or two before I did since when I got in the system said my username was already being registered. 

Are you able to add PN if you've already purchased in RetReg? 

3 hours ago, Jonesin4Comics said:

You can buy any days you didnt get in in the gen sale including just PN (you need all 4 days to get PN tho).

Managed to get 4days + PN myself :banana:

2 hours ago, Silver said:

Anyone know how the parking lottery works?

If it's like previous years (run by Ace Parking) you have a period (days/week?) to register an email address. After the deadline the email addresses are randomly put into groups and those group will be allowed to buy passes on certain days e.g. Group 1 can buy between such and such a date, then Group 2 then Group 3 (I think its well spaced out). I never need parking so maybe someone who knows better can chime in.

It would be interesting if SDCC allocated their tickets via varied ways to see if they could get the tickets into the hands of a diverse range of attendees instead of this perception of the same ol' folks always getting in and leaving newbies out in the cold.  The whole grandfathering of prior attendees to get priority to buy the next year should be thrown out the window.  The advance pre-sale is a joke since it's only a partial allocation, and it's clear that days don't truly "sell out" as they allocate tickets for exhibitors, vendors, press, etc. to attend those days and also through their general ticket sales later on.

Here's my suggestions for the convention:

1) Hold a Dutch Auction and let the highest bidders get what they want.  This could inject solid profits into Comic Con that would stave off admission ticket hikes for the balance of the tickets they sell, and let the people with deep pockets get their admission tickets without having to go through back door methods of scalpers who circumvent the system.

2) Allow people to submit their request for tickets (choosing 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 day tickets and whether 1, 2 or 3 guests) and allocating based on the submission, whether random or with any priority and get rid of the whole song and dance of this pre-sale log on wasting everyone's time with the illusion of fairness and organization.  Send an email confirmation to those who get approved for tickets and give them 48 hrs to purchase the tickets.

3) Don't allow exhibitors / artists / celebrity guests more than 4 tickets to hook up friends and associates.  I hear so many folks nearly brag about their "hook-ups" to get in through the back-door.

4) Hold the convention almost like a music festival, where it's held throughout the city at varied convention centers at different hotels depending on the interests, to let the comic art fans stay in one area, the coplayers, the comic books, the anime/manga, the video games, the toys, the multi-media, etc. - - the offer a premium all-access pass.  But for fans of old comic books, which is diminishing, they're not shut out, and can have their own area.  I'd actually like to see it similar to some of the music festivals, held across two sessions, consecutive weekends, but I know that would be tough for dealers/exhibitors to staff for 10+ days.

5) When selling tickets, immediately offer hotel options.  Nothing is more frustrating than jumping through two small hoops.  First, the challenge of getting tickets.  Then waiting, and cringing at the next hoop, months down the road, trying to get a hotel room.  I'd say, reverting back to an earlier suggestion, just have attendees submit their "wants/needs" for the number of tickets, the days, and if they want a hotel (and which one), then the computer will approve or deny it quickly without all of the delay and drama.

22 hours ago, Jonesin4Comics said:

Yes, if you get in during the general you can add PN.

Edited by BassGMan

Early bird hotel reservations are now open.  If you don't mind being 5-6 miles from the convention center, this is a great option.  You get to pick your hotel, rather than giving a number of choices and hoping you get the one you really want, and you don't have to suffer through the regular hotel reservation madness.  

Warning: With early bird you pay the full amount when you make the reservation, and it's non-refundable.

7 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Early bird hotel reservations are now open.  If you don't mind being 5-6 miles from the convention center, this is a great option.  You get to pick your hotel, rather than giving a number of choices and hoping you get the one you really want, and you don't have to suffer through the regular hotel reservation madness.  

Warning: With early bird you pay the full amount when you make the reservation, and it's non-refundable.

Good to know. When do the badges go on sale? First timer...sorry.

On 3/23/2017 at 9:06 PM, starlord86 said:

Good to know. When do the badges go on sale? First timer...sorry.

Comic-Con 2017 badges will go on sale in early-to-mid April. 

Most likely 2nd or 3rd week of April since Wondercon is next weekend

On 3/23/2017 at 8:58 PM, nearmint said:

One exception to the distance thing is the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. This one is half the distance to the others at three miles. Could even be a long walk for someone who wanted to hoof it. I stayed there last year and it is a nice place, on the water, same boardwalk as the convention center, just three miles down. Room rate is just a bit higher than other hotels with Early Bird. We are already booked there again for this year, and if anyone is interested in early bird then sweep this one up quick as it will be the first of these to sell out. Bus comes frequently and the ride is about 20 minutes each way. Highly recommended IF you want to go the early bird route. 

Edited by BassGMan