• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC shipped me Action Comics #1 Superman page, FedEx lost it, Help appreciated!
1 1

452 posts in this topic

Saturday morning and still no luck. The page has been unaccounted for since Monday evening. FedEx is conducting what they've said is a final search, but I'm growing more and more concerned by the day. What we do know is that it was scanned in in Memphis, TN. What we don't know is where it went since then. I've called the FedEx ship center it was shipped to, they're received nothing with my name on it. FedEx has yet to find anything in their system amongst packages that have been opened, contents documented, after labels fell off.

Where could my page be?

Stolen?

Fell off a conveyer belt? If that's the case, why have they not found it in 4+ days?

What else could have happened?

Well, they do move an enormous number of packages, so there any number of ways it could have been misplaced in one of the facilities it moved through.

Seems as if the only thing you can do at this point is to hope for the best and hang in there. My guess is that it will eventually turn up.

I've had packages go to Australia by mistake.

I've had packages disappear for 3 - 5 months and then reappear.

Out of 1000's of shipped packages I think I've only had two disappear in 15 years, and even those disappearances are questionable. They just didn't have tracking so I can't prove where they were.

Did you hear back from Fed Ex? It's been a few days now. They should have something for you in the way of info.

Roy, when your packages went missing for extended periods of time, do you remember if they were ever overnight packages?

I've been in touch with FedEx daily. They did a search and were unable to find the package. As of yesterday evening, they were in the process of conducting the "final search." I have not been contacted yet with the results.

I was told that if CGC contacts FedEx directly to confirm that the page has a value of $4,000, and I file a claim, that I'll have a good shot at being reimbursed for $4,000 or close to it. When I spoke to CGC, they didn't seem confident that that will happen.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

Question for any legal experts on the boards:

I understand that under normal circumstances, without collector's insurance, FedEx apparently, only covers $100 if something happens to the package. That makes sense to me if a worker dropped it, damaged it, etc.

But what if a FedEx employee stole the package?

FedEx claims to record all of their customer service calls, correct? Well, their supervisor verbally acknowledged to me that one of their own employees could have stolen it and if they did, they'd "have quite the haul on their hands."

What we DO know is that it arrived in Memphis. They've conducted a search and were unable to find it. "If" they don't find it during their "final" search, what then?

If I can prove FMV of $4,000, even though CGC didn't list a declared value when they shipped it, will I be able to get my $4,000 back? Technically, I paid more than $4,000 for it in the first place. I listed $4,000 as declared value on the CGC submission form, which I have copies of.

If the package is lost and FedEx refused to cover more than $100, what's to stop their employees from taking any package they want? Obviously FedEx would never condone in-house stealing, but if it happens, and in this case, we know nothing beyond it entering their Memphis hub and never appearing again...I can only hope and pray they'd make me whole, no?

Edited by Wayne-Tec

Roy, when your packages went missing for extended periods of time, do you remember if they were ever overnight packages?

None were overnight, but you can have all sorts of problems with any sort of delivery method.

These are just boxes with bar codes on them. Sometimes they don't get scanned (happens regularly to me even on overnight packages), sometimes they fall between the cracks (either out of a shipping container or between sorting lines, etc).

Most eventually get found and sorted. I'd give it at least a couple of weeks before i give up hope and really start to worry.

I just got off the phone with FedEx, again.

The first person I spoke with, a customer service representative, went through their computer database to look through packages that had labels fall off, get burnt, etc. Their protocol, as I was told, is to then open the packages and document their contents. The service rep found nothing matching: "comic book", "comic page" or "CGC."

I asked to speak with the supervisor.

I was told that if one of their employees stumbled upon the contents of my package, and recognized what it was (a Superman page from the most valuable comic book in existence) and had the intent to steal, that the employee would have made "quite the haul." In short, it's possible it could have been stolen.

Although he stressed the fact that the package has only been unaccounted for since Monday, it is never reassuring to hear a supervisor acknowledge that one of their own employees could have taken it, much less, express that such a find would be "quite the haul."

I would call again and ask for a supervisor.

Engage the supervisor in the same line of questioning.Do not explicitly lead him into making a statement about a FedEx employee possibly having stolen the package, but usher the conversation into that direction, if you have to.Make sure that your tone is very polite and overall friendly/understanding, otherwise the supervisor will be less than forthcoming.

In short, play up the wounded bird angle.

Before you call, put the settings on your cell phone onto "Record".

Download the saved file from your cell onto your desktop computer .

Not that this will guarantee that you are reimbursed if the package was in fact stolen, but it cannot hurt to have such a conversation recorded, if you have to file a claim.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with fedex. I just received a $100 check from fedex yesterday for a printer part that was sold to a customer for $350.

photo fedex_zpsbnfm3ema.jpg

"Our liability is limited to $100 unless a higher value declared on the shipment."

CGC never listed a declared value on the package when they shipped it out to me.

What happens then?

Sorry to hear about your troubles with fedex. I just received a $100 check from fedex yesterday for a printer part that was sold to a customer for $350.

"Our liability is limited to $100 unless a higher value declared on the shipment."

CGC never listed a declared value on the package when they shipped it out to me.

What happens then?

It took me about three weeks and five phone calls to receive a $100 check on an undeclared $350 item.

What happens then?

It took me about three weeks and five phone calls to receive a $100 check on an undeclared $350 item.

Had CGC listed the declared value at $4,000, what would happen then?

Even if Cgc listed 4K it doesn't matter if insurance was not purchased. And even then I believe max insurance Fedex will provide on collectibles is $1000

unfortunately if parcel goes lost I'm afraid you are only going to be entitled to $100 :sorry:

Even if Cgc listed 4K it doesn't matter if insurance was not purchased. And even then I believe max insurance Fedex will provide on collectibles is $1000

unfortunately if parcel goes lost I'm afraid you are only going to be entitled to $100 :sorry:

Even if one of their own employees steals the package?

This actually happened to a board member using UPS (not fed ex) with a big box of valuable books. There is a thread about it. My best recollection is that it did not help him in his case.

Unfortunately you are never going to be able to prove this.