• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

634 posts in this topic

I like the early Flash covers when artists like Moldoff did them, but later on they became much too cartoony. I prefer the Hawkman covers too.

The Hawkman's main two artist were Moldoff and Kubert.

The Flash had a half dozen artist. Harry Lambert (creator) and Martin Naydel (mid-40s) were better suited for the one page gag strips.

Another disappointing reading experience was Harvey horror comics. Some admittedly nice artwork from Lee Elias, with his Caniff-influenced style, and Howard Nostrand doing an excellent Jack Davis imitation, or swipe. Gory covers, disguising much tamer interior material, and like ACG a complete bore most of the time.

On the other hand, I really love the Hawkman covers of the Flash, the Flash ones, not as much.

+1 (thumbs u

I think this is a more popular opinion than not, especially the earlier Moldoff and later Kubert Hawkman covers. Not coincidently my favorite Flash cover of the run is #89, which is by Kubert.

I have to say, though, that I still love S&K. Granted, some of it might be nostalgia because those were some of the first GA books I collected, and when I first started collecting they were by far the most popular GA artists.

But I would still say that the GA doesn't get any more GA than S&K.

(thumbs u:applause:

mm

I'm still on board the S&K Train :cloud9: ..... one of my favorite HC's is the Sandman Omnibus ........ man, I loved stumbling onto the occasional reprints of those in the 70's. It's a good time to be a lover of S&K (unless you want the Caps....)........ as for Schomburg, the Xela stuff is my favorite..... but many of the earlier one's are very, very well done and intricate. I long ago became unable to afford everything, so what I keep today are the favorites of my favorites, so much of this discussion is moot for me, as interesting as it is. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be unpopular because I LIKE the work of S&K lol

I tend to like Kirby's later work for Marvel much more than his GA work. Maybe because I grew up in the dawn of Marvel but I really like those interior pages with lots of machinery in them.

Another disappointing reading experience was Harvey horror comics. Some admittedly nice artwork from Lee Elias, with his Caniff-influenced style, and Howard Nostrand doing an excellent Jack Davis imitation, or swipe. Gory covers, disguising much tamer interior material, and like ACG a complete bore most of the time.

Harvey were E.C. copyists, perhaps more than any other PCH publisher. I've read a fair amount of the stories, and some of them are pretty decent, but lacking E.C.'s edge.

But then again, there were some pretty impressive covers...

I have to say, though, that I still love S&K. Granted, some of it might be nostalgia because those were some of the first GA books I collected, and when I first started collecting they were by far the most popular GA artists.

But I would still say that the GA doesn't get any more GA than S&K.

(thumbs u:applause:

mm

I'm still on board the S&K Train :cloud9: ..... one of my favorite HC's is the Sandman Omnibus ........ man, I loved stumbling onto the occasional reprints of those in the 70's. It's a good time to be a lover of S&K (unless you want the Caps....)........ as for Schomburg, the Xela stuff is my favorite..... but many of the earlier one's are very, very well done and intricate. I long ago became unable to afford everything, so what I keep today are the favorites of my favorites, so much of this discussion is moot for me, as interesting as it is. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be unpopular because I LIKE the work of S&K lol

I tend to like Kirby's later work for Marvel much more than his GA work. Maybe because I grew up in the dawn of Marvel but I really like those interior pages with lots of machinery in them.

Kirby probably evolved more than any other artist, except possibly Frazetta. That Marvel stuff from the 60's is hard to top...... you never knew what he was going to pull out of his sleeve from month to month.... it was a cool time to be a reader. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Maybe this will fly, maybe not. Let's give it a whirl:

-- I'd rather have a bright, vividly-colored 1.5 GA book with a detached cover wrap than an 8.0 book with dulled colors but amazing structural soundness. (Not talking about *faded* books, which is an easier call... just books with naturally weak colors, like a good many Fiction House, Fox etc.)

OK, that's what I've got so far. Who's next? :taptaptap:

I was gonna say I agree 100%, but I can't afford any 8.0s..

I am just going to say it. I think Startling 49 is a way over rated book. The robot looks pretty lame. I am not sure if it is suppose to be a scary cover, funny cover, or just lame cover.

Haha!! I was going to list this!!

Such a stupid looking robot, and I don't see why it's a classic or how it's an evolution of Alex's art.

His late Cap covers made cap look really stupid as well.

Here are some of my unpopular opinions.

-Unless there are tons of flakes coming off inside the slab, I don't mind brittle comics, because face it,

-90% of golden age interiors feature crappy art and stories so bad that...

-I'm often satisfied owning just the cover of most GA. But...

-First appearance books that don't feature the character on the cover are so dumb, st 110, all star 8, mfun 55.

My opinion: the term "classic" gets thrown around WAY too much when it comes to GA books. They can't ALL be classics, just based on age and nostalgia. If all of them are classic, then none of them are. The term becomes diluted when it is so liberally applied. ALL Joker covers aren't classic (but Batman 11-amazing!). ALL Lou Fine covers aren't classic (but Hit 5, Fantastic 3 and National 7-perfection!). Even CGC seems to be inconsistent with when they do and do not put "classic cover" on the label, even on different copies of the same book.

-Unless there are tons of flakes coming off inside the slab, I don't mind brittle comics, because face it,

-90% of golden age interiors feature crappy art and stories so bad that...

-I'm often satisfied owning just the cover of most GA. But...

-Print the cover off the internet

-it's cheaper

-what GA are you reading?

-why is each phrase hyphenated?

I am just going to say it. I think Startling 49 is a way over rated book. The robot looks pretty lame. I am not sure if it is suppose to be a scary cover, funny cover, or just lame cover.

Haha!! I was going to list this!!

Such a stupid looking robot, and I don't see why it's a classic or how it's an evolution of Alex's art.

His late Cap covers made cap look really stupid as well.

while I think it's a cool cover, I can think of four Robot Covers that I feel 'best' it:

Zip Comics 3

Prize Comics 4

Action Comics 36

Human Torch 23

(But I don't own any of them... :cry: )

Edited by Sagii

Idk why the hyphen. Haha good question.

I've read most my raws and I don't care for most. Besides the early Everett and S&K, the Timelys are terrible. DCs are a little better it seems.

I do like some early Wonder Womans I have, and I'm sure there are some other good reads.

A printed cover from the internet would do about as much for me as a printed whole comic for most of you. Not much.

I think of GA covers as collectible photos or art prints from that era.