• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

634 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I can understand your viewpoint about not buying expensive GA that is restored. I've never considered buying a book for $50k. I don't think I would even if I won the lottery, so I'm in a different mindset. However, when I had the choice of buying a Wonder Woman 1 years ago, I chose to buy a restored 5.0 rather than a brittle 1.0 missing pieces. 

Just a matter of taste (and budget;)  I just bought a lottery ticket, I rarely buy them, if I win, we'll see if I change my mind;)

I love Batman, but really didn't like the ones with the checkerboard covers, the POW years.  I think the TV show ruined Batman for me, for years. Batman was serious!;)

I can't see the tape kids used as resto, but I agree about all the tape that was used to reattach covers after CGC was formed (so they could get a higher grade).

and pressing is restoration;);) ssssshhhh;)

Yes. The tv show was a blight on humanity. Why Adam West was never brought to justice and prosecuted for post war crimes is beyond me. I remember the tale a comic book store regaled me with. Back when Clayton Moore started suing people over the use of the Lone Ranger mask, Adam West started petitioning Tim Burton for the lead in the dreadful "Batman" movie. After West finished making a lot of noise, Burton finally conceded and offered him the part of Thomas Wayne. How...how WONDERFUL that would have been!

15 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I LOVE the Batman TV show, and I probably would have never been a collector without it.

I kinda liked it for awhile, but like most people I got tired of it pretty fast.  That's saying a lot because, looking back on it, I would watch practically anything on TV that my parents would let me.  I was bothered by the gap between the Batman comics, which I liked a lot, and the show. 

I liked the Green Hornet better because it was at least semi-serious.  Haven't watched an episode of either in many years, so maybe I'd have a different take on them now.

On 7/24/2016 at 6:59 PM, Knightsofold said:

Haha!! I was going to list this!!

Such a stupid looking robot, and I don't see why it's a classic or how it's an evolution of Alex's art.

His late Cap covers made cap look really stupid as well.

Arent people getting it because it looks like Bender from Futurama?

4 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Arent people getting it because it looks like Bender from Futurama?

It was very popular before Futurama was a show.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

I do not understand the current fascination with LB Cole.  All of his work appears to be swiped.  He is a very good inker though...

Unpopular, I know.

Just curious: by 'swiped' you mean he used photo references? If not I guess I'm not sure what you're referring to.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

I do not understand the current fascination with LB Cole.  All of his work appears to be swiped.  He is a very good inker though...

Unpopular, I know.

I enjoy looking at swipe files, if you have some examples they would be awesome to see.

For me it is the coloring that sets L.B. Cole covers apart. I was told that he colored many himself, can someone verify that for me?

53 minutes ago, Bird said:

I was told that he colored many himself, can someone verify that for me?

He was art director for Continental and co-owner of Star comics.  He talks about color design in his last major interview published in Comic Book Marketplace.

4 hours ago, Yorick said:

Unpopular, I know.

Oh, has interest been increasing?  I must confess to being a fan ever since Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #11 came out circa 1981.  Yeah, it's those colors...

4 hours ago, Yorick said:

Unpopular, I know.

Well, I'll probably lose what cred, if any, I've ever had and just say he totally swiped himself for Startling Terror Tales 11...and did a pretty lazy job of it.  It's not even a good copy of Suspense 8.

The spiders body is less arachnid like, The abdomen and cephalothorax are replaced by a giant barrel ... the 2 people are no longer caught in the web they just float in front of it, and the entire background that had the killer godlike observer has been replaced by 2 tiny disembodied floating heads.  I could go on...I mean this is the thread for that right?....

There are several LB Cole covers that are undeniable classics, but like everyone else he took a lot of days off and not everything he touched looks like gold to me either.

Edited by szav

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Cole produced some of the great covers of the Golden Age. He also produced some real garbage. That's how it goes sometimes. 

I guess we have a lot of garbage collectors out there....

13B6BB6E-67BE-4311-B0AC-750BB8AAB8B8.gif.e6d68645558db2dcd84d5e9a1a8e686d.gif

because nothing by by him seems to be cheap anymore....