• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rip-Tales: My weekly adventures in comic hunting both past and present by Scott1

19 posts in this topic

You never know what you are going to run into traveling throughout Northern CA.

Some of my adventures pay off huge, others will be a big bust. I'm going to try and write about a bunch of em. Both past and present. I'll try to post pictures whenever possible.

1st entry will be last week.

A 90 minute drive north today. Cell phone service was spotty.

The GPS points me to a location in front of a tall iron gate. Large walls are all around the property. The gate has a large thick chain wrapped around the bars with and even thicker lock attached. Something out of the movies. I try to call and text, but cell service is poor. So I wait.....

20 minutes later a woman in her late 50's comes out of the house and waves at me from about 200 years away. The gate is unlocked and I walk toward the medium sized house.

Inside she points to a small stack of about 50 comics. I see a beat up TOS 52 that I know I want.

The comics are mostly new, but sometimes go back to the 60's. I see a beat up Star Wars 42, but nothing really great.

Then she says, "I also have some more." She proceeds to pull out 5 long boxes. I also have more in the other room. I look over to the other room and see a long military box full of comics, plus 4 more long boxes. hm

Well after search through the first 5 boxes I find out its all modern stuff. I grab a Spider-man 361.

Next 5 boxes. I pull out a only a Deadpool 1 (1997).

I ask about other collectibles, she mentions that she had early baseball cards, M-Mantle's, tobacco cards etc. But these were stolen from someone she knows and that she should hire "the skin heads" to go track the person down. :boo:

While nice she was also someone clearly not to be messed with. After a little more conversation I left with only a few books and this small tale.

Entry 2:

Two weeks ago. I travel to a beat-up small low rent duplex. Washing machines are outside every small apartment. I meet a guy who has comics piled on a table. Visible cockroaches are crawling around. I talk for about 15 minutes and pick up a What if Venom Infected Deadpool in high grade a ASM 654 2nd print, plus a Predator 1.

This was well worth the trouble. :)

Entry 3:

This week. I am supposed to leave in about 90 minutes traveling north again. Guy is supposed to have a Hero for Hire 1 in mid grade, a Conan 1 and 100 other books.

Will add more to this entry once I get the books.

Bought a box full of books from a storage shed today. Just got back with a batch of 100+ books. Most were around VG.

Here is a pic of todays little haul. Some nice Adams covers in there.

The Hero for Hire 1 is around VG-. Nothing huge but worth my time.

Not many keepers but fun reading. I might sell the whole thing in a lot or two.

Haul723_zpsiqy0zrbv.jpg

This morning's latest....Its going to be a very interesting week.

Just got off the phone with a very local former collector. Someone who has a small run of early All-Stars including the 8 in low grade. Plus some other books to be determined... :wishluck:

Already saw some pictures, will see them later this week around Thursday or Friday.

So there I was sitting at my computer last week and some crazy great photos popped up on my e-mail last Sunday. I mean great....pictures!

So today adventure. Met with a wife husband, mother at a local restaurant. She was a former collector from the 70's and 80's. She loved early All Star's and X-Men. After some Chinese food we talked business. I looked though all the books, we talked about Forrest Ackerman's house. Then we made a deal.

Here are the photos I got last Sunday. And what I came home with today. :)

All%20Stars_zpss8wcizxa.jpg

Xm1_zpsxrizphxi.jpg

AS8%20front%20cover_zpscgrsjxde.jpg

AS8%20back%20cover_zpsze5ongus.jpg

This week I first started out at 9:00 this morning and finally got home at around 6:30.

First stop; lady had a ASM 129. Wanted $500 for a VG/VG+ copy. Even though she mentioned it was in perfect shape over the phone. After some haggling back and forth she tossed in a bunch of other Venom books. Luckly that stack of those Venom books made everything worth it. See below!

Second stop long time collector 2nd time seeing huge collection. I am still going though books, will go back again soon. Picked up another ASM 300 (Signed by TM), Plus a bunch of other high grade books. The HFH is around VF-. Finally got a Forever People 1 with a white cover.

CIMG4296_zpsty1srpba.jpg

The black Venom error was my favorite book. Looks around NM might make NM+ or better with a press.

Was also really happy getting a MM4 (1st Big Barda) around NM.

(Edit whoops)

Hopefully going to see 2 large collections this weekend. Each collection has over 10,000 comics. Various keys from these collections range from as early as Mad 1 to Turtles (First print) 1. All raw books from former hardcore collectors.

Will be traveling all Saturday and a little bit Sunday.

:wishluck:

Hopefully going to see 2 large collections this weekend. Each collection has over 10,000 comics. Various keys from these collections range from as early as Mad 1 to Turtles (First print) 1. All raw books from former hardcore collectors.

Will be traveling all Saturday and a little bit Sunday.

:wishluck:

Best of luck!

Great read so far, looking forward to more!

(thumbs u