• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Killing Joke ruined?

26 posts in this topic

Anyone else disappointed with what they did in the Killing Joke film? Batman and Batwoman getting it on. I know there has been some implications of a fling or flirtation in some of the different Batman continuity. But I always thought Batman was more of a father figure to his sidekicks.

I actually worry that the mainstream horror (with which I'm inclined to agree, although I haven't seen it yet) may take some of the sheen off Killing Joke in the future.

Did anyone read the Bruce Timm interview about it? It was AMAZING to see him disown the thing. I'm paraphrasing, but he basically blames Azarello (sp?) for the sex scene and everything else on Alan Moore.

My bad, it's early and I was checking on other posts when I wrote this one. I did see the panel interviews, they didn't look like they went well.

Mark Hamill is the best Joker ever! My favorite was his Joker in Mask of the Phantasm.

I actually worry that the mainstream horror (with which I'm inclined to agree, although I haven't seen it yet) may take some of the sheen off Killing Joke in the future.

Did anyone read the Bruce Timm interview about it? It was AMAZING to see him disown the thing. I'm paraphrasing, but he basically blames Azarello (sp?) for the sex scene and everything else on Alan Moore.

Mainstream horror?

Whuuzat?

Oh, you mean a handful of dudes that are posting on the internet about being so bent out of shape that Batman could have boned Barbara Gordon?

No, that does not worry me....

The Killing Joke was never meant to be a kiddie book with puritanical values.

I also do not see how you came up with Timm disowning the Killing Joke, he does not do any such thing.

Here is a condensed version of the Timm interview:

https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/dc/amp/2016/07/24/batman-the-killing-jokes-bruce-timm-addresses-controversial-scen/?client=ms-android-sprint-us#

FWIW, I haven't seen this movie yet but I am sure it'll be very good, with what it is and the creators at hand.

Mainstream horror?

Whuuzat?

Oh, you mean a handful of dudes that are posting on the internet about being so bent out of shape that Batman could have boned Barbara Gordon?

No, that does not worry me....

The Killing Joke was never meant to be a kiddie book with puritanical values.

I also do not see how you came up with Timm disowning the Killing Joke, he does not do any such thing.

Here is a condensed version of the Timm interview:

https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/dc/amp/2016/07/24/batman-the-killing-jokes-bruce-timm-addresses-controversial-scen/?client=ms-android-sprint-us#

FWIW, I haven't seen this movie yet but I am sure it'll be very good, with what it is and the creators at hand.

No one lamenting it has Puritanical values. Just values. And I'm not talking about commenters, I'm referring to mainstream articles. If you read the actual interview, Timm pretty clearly ducks responsibility for it.

Yay!! :whee: Thanks for the Spoilers.
+1 if it wasn't ruined before, it's ruined now (thumbs u

These guy over here just don't care. One of them spoiled this months WD. Tried to justify it, explained why it wasn't , then disappeared out of the thread.

:popcorn: the reasoning here

So, you click on and then read a thread entitled 'Killing Joke ruined' and then are disappointed it talks about the movie? Maybe don't read it?
Well, it's not in the movie sub-forum so I assumed it was talking about the comic. (shrug)

So, you click on and then read a thread entitled 'Killing Joke ruined' and then are disappointed it talks about the movie? Maybe don't read it?

lol

There was a question mark in the thread title. And it's in the modern comics section, not the movie subforum. Lots of things about a story like Killing Joke can be discussed, being that everyone's read the book. The fact that he included something NOT in the book would come as a surprise to everyone, right?

The better question should be posed to the OP:

So, you see that every thread with movie spoilers is marked "SPOILERS", but you create a thread with spoilers from the very first post but don't put "SPOILERS" in the thread title, and yet readers are expected to know there are "SPOILERS"?

Perhaps the person breaching common internet message board etiquette bears the burden here and not the people clicking on the thread, believing common sense and courtesy posting manners are being followed.

I don't think it was ruined at all! Did they take some liberties and stray from the original? Absolutely.

That one scene mentioned above does not in any way take away from the story or distract from the narrative or the feel of the movie. What it does is solidify Batgirl's desire to be accepted and find her place. The other two scenes that have been points of controversy were done, in my opinion, tastefully and kept it true to the story. Some of those complaining are those that have not read the original story and were shocked.

I liked it, Mark Hamill is always phenomenal as The Joker. Tara Strong was a great addition as well.

My Grade for this movie: CGC 8.5 White Pages.

I don't think it was ruined at all! Did they take some liberties and stray from the original? Absolutely.

That one scene mentioned above does not in any way take away from the story or distract from the narrative or the feel of the movie. What it does is solidify Batgirl's desire to be accepted and find her place. The other two scenes that have been points of controversy were done, in my opinion, tastefully and kept it true to the story. Some of those complaining are those that have not read the original story and were shocked.

I liked it, Mark Hamill is always phenomenal as The Joker. Tara Strong was a great addition as well.

My Grade: CGC 8.5 White Pages.

CGC 8.5??? Why even pay the grading fee? :screwy:

:jokealert:

90% of the fan reviews I've read gave it a thumbs down. I for one could care less about cartoon adaptations. I'm just not interested.

As for this cartoon ruining the comic? I doubt it. Those who see this first will likely be curious and then pick it up at which point they will likely be blown away by it in comparison to what appears to be a stinker adaption.