• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Horror Comics allowed in the UK?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

While printing an Express Mail label for shipment to the UK I saw this in the restrictions. Am I misunderstanding this?

Prohibitions

Standard USPS Prohibitions

-Any postal item containing enclosures addressed to different persons at different addresses.

-Arms and parts of arms, except as noted under Observation #5 below.

-Articles, goods infringing British trademarks or copyright laws.

-Cards decorated with mica or ground glass or similar materials unless they are placed in envelopes.

-Citizens Band Radios, walkie-talkies, microbugs, and radio microphones that are capable of transmitting on any frequency between 26.1 and 29.7 megacycles per second and 88 to 108 Mhz per second.

-Goods made in foreign prisons, except those imported for a non-commercial purpose or of a kind not manufactured in the UK.

-Horror comics and matrices.

-Obscene articles, prints, paintings, cards, films, videotapes, etc.

-Perishable infectious biological substances.

-Seal skins except those from an accepted source.

-Switchblade knives.

Actually this is fairly old news.

We had a discussion before about it, i have gotten horror comics through to England though wink.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I have imported 00's of comics shipped from the US, including (for example) The Walking Dead which probably falls into the "horror" category. Not once have a had a problem, until this week a seller has contacted me to tell me that "Horror comics are banned in the UK". He discover this when he tried to ship me a comic I had purchased.

We have comic shops, Comic Cons, horror movies and a Walking Dead attraction at one of major theme parks.

I believe it harks back to an old day and has yet to be repealed. It would never be enforced...

Very antiquated now, dating back to the Wertham "Seduction of the Innocent" / Introduction of the Comics Code period in the 1950s.

Even in the 1970s you would see Skywald horror magazines, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night distributed here.

Nothing to worry about.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The Children and Young Persons (Harmful Publications) Act 1955 is an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom Parliament that prohibited comics that were thought to be harmful to children. The Act was introduced by the Home Secretary, Gwilym Lloyd George (a son of former prime minister David Lloyd George), in response to the publication of horror comics which had become popular by the 1950s.[1] This issue was drawn to the attention of Parliament by the National Union of Teachers and by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Geoffrey Fisher.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Very antiquated now, dating back to the Wertham "Seduction of the Innocent" / Introduction of the Comics Code period in the 1950s.

Even in the 1970s you would see Skywald horror magazines, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night distributed here.

Nothing to worry about.

I dunno US still has kinder surprise eggs banned in the US... 

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:
3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Nothing to worry about.

I dunno US still has kinder surprise eggs banned in the US... 

How many kids would choke on the kinder surprise in the US each year?  Howabout just in Florida?  Americans cannot be trusted to not eat things, this has been proven over and over, most recently with tide pods.

8 hours ago, revat said:

How many kids would choke on the kinder surprise in the US each year?  Howabout just in Florida?  Americans cannot be trusted to not eat things, this has been proven over and over, most recently with tide pods.

That’s a concern over here too, of course ; the choking risk.

Edited by Ken Aldred

23 minutes ago, mrc said:

I do have a faint recollection that in the early 1970's I could not buy horror magazines. Maybe it would have been at the shopkeepers discretion?

I never had any problems at the bus station paper stall I went to as a kid.  I remember buying a couple of Skywald magazines there.

DC's House of Mystery and House of Secrets were distributed here throughout the 70s.  Some of the stories in those, while not as explicitly gory as EC's, could be quite psychologically disturbing.  The relaxation of the Comics Code, permitting more horror material, and the interpretation of outdated and heavy-handed legislation were in a state of total confusion here, even then. 

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I never had any problems at the bus station paper stall I went to as a kid.  I remember buying a couple of Skywald magazines there.

DC's House of Mystery and House of Secrets were distributed here throughout the 70s.  Some of the stories in those, while not as explicitly gory as EC's, could be quite psychologically disturbing.  The relaxation of the Comics Code, permitting more horror material, and the interpretation of outdated and heavy-handed legislation were in a state of total confusion here, even then. 

......I had to 'borrow' my World of Horror mags from a school friend!

On 2/7/2020 at 7:30 PM, Ken Aldred said:

We (they) also did their own versions of a lot of the Skywald & Stanley Morse titles. I got this -

2077077774_2020-02-1111_00_40.thumb.jpg.6492e3b437bae57809ef1c1a3515de59.jpg

a couple of weeks ago in a lot with a bunch of other 70s horror stuff.

792282646_2020-02-1111_00_51.thumb.jpg.65d7ddc2c567fba1480217aa0f7a2531.jpg

It's #3 of the UK series published by Top Sellers. It reprints stories from the Skywald series.

There were also a bunch of Hammer magazines around then, weren't there?

58 minutes ago, rakehell said:

There were also a bunch of Hammer magazines around then, weren't there?

That would be House of Hammer, I think?

The magazine that Dez Skinn produced before Warrior.

I have a few of them.  Some good British artists in there such as John Bolton and Steve Parkhouse.

Edited by Ken Aldred