• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Davis has died

19 posts in this topic

This obit from the Athens Banner-Herald is a bit odd given his position in comics, cartooning and commercial art broadly, but it is a Bulldog town: http://hub.onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2016-07-27/famed-cartoonist-jack-davis-noted-uga-bulldog-drawings-has-died

My first job out of college was at a tiny newspaper on the Georgia coast that also produced a glossy magazine about the Georgia Bulldogs. Jack lived nearby and was a huge Bulldogs fan, so he produced cover art for the issues, free of charge. Just loved them Dawgs and did it gratis.

Course, the publisher was clueless about who Jack was, so he had these cover images just scattered all over the office. Stuffed in file folders and serving as coffee coasters. Really had no idea about Jack or his art, and that was surreal to experience.

Godspeed Jack, thanks for all the amazing art.

I count myself as extremely fortunate to have known Jack Davis personally and to have a couple of nice examples of his art. He was a true gentleman and a once in a generation talent who worked in so many different areas of illustration that its hard to even count them all. I am saddened by his passing, but he lived a long and incredibly productive life in which he produced professional work for an astounding 70+ years and during that time created a body of work that is remarkable in its depth and overall quality. While many folks on this list are (understandably) drawn to his work for EC and Mad Magazine, his movie poster, magazine cover and interior art, book cover and interior illustrations, Album cover, commercial advertising, animation, greeting card, T-shirt designs, gum card, sports related, western and civil war historical art (and there is more, believe me!) are each worthy of an art book by themselves.

I remember fondly when I handed him an EC page to sign at a gathering in Athens GA a few short years ago, he called his wife over and said "look at this honey, I was really pretty good, wasn't I? I sure wish I could still ink like that today! " I am sure he is having a well deserved laugh with Harvey Kurtzman right now. RIP Jack, you were truly a treasure.

I count myself as extremely fortunate to have known Jack Davis personally and to have a couple of nice examples of his art. He was a true gentleman and a once in a generation talent who worked in so many different areas of illustration that its hard to even count them all. I am saddened by his passing, but he lived a long and incredibly productive life in which he produced professional work for an astounding 70+ years and during that time created a body of work that is remarkable in its depth and overall quality. While many folks on this list are (understandably) drawn to his work for EC and Mad Magazine, his movie poster, magazine cover and interior art, book cover and interior illustrations, Album cover, commercial advertising, animation, greeting card, T-shirt designs, gum card, sports related, western and civil war historical art (and there is more, believe me!) are each worthy of an art book by themselves.

I remember fondly when I handed him an EC page to sign at a gathering in Athens GA a few short years ago, he called his wife over and said "look at this honey, I was really pretty good, wasn't I? I sure wish I could still ink like that today! " I am sure he is having a well deserved laugh with Harvey Kurtzman right now. RIP Jack, you were truly a treasure.

(thumbs u

I have had a Genesis poster for over 25 years, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. After many years I looked at it and it was as if I saw it for the first time, "Hey Jack Davis drew this!" My wife loves that poster and I tried to get it from the family a year or three ago and never heard back from them. Yes, Jack Davis' work infused our lives for decades in a variety of genres. He is a true American icon, up there with Frazetta, Crumb, Raymond and the like. R.I.P. Mr. Davis.

Condolences to his family and friends.

His unique style made him a fan favorite both in comics and his ultra successful career in advertising. I'm sure the average person would recognize his body of work even if they could not recall the artist.

R.I.P.

N.

Wow ~ this is a very sad day as my favorite living legend has passed. Even Berni Wrightson once told me he'd probably just bow if he ever had the opportunity to meet Davis. One of the true greats, right beside Frazetta and Gogos. My dear sweet wife made it a mission back in 2013 to get me to St Simon's Isle to finally meet Mr Davis at the Glynn Art Gallery exhibit with Nick Meglin from MAD. His whole family were there when Mr Davis accepted his award from MAD. It is an evening I will never forget. When I handed him my EC original art from Aces High #2 (1955) to be personalized, Mr Davis laughed and said, " Wow ~ did I do that?" He was such a funny gentleman who had time for everyone that eve. I know he had a long, successful (highest paid illustrator at one point) and productive life but it hurts as one more of the true legends leave us. GOD BLESS YOU, JACK ~ YOU WERE ONE OF A KIND!