• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

PlanetComics46_zps35191ffc.jpg

Yep, that's the one. Not my favorite.  Doolin dialed this one in, if it is even Doolin. Poses are frozen, postures are awkward, eyes are blank, color spectrum of orange and green is bleh, action is meh, her waist is an impossibility. But as one of 73 cherished Planets, it too has a place in the canon. 

14 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

OK. "It isn't so." Not with a copy like that!

Any covers you're not willing to champion? If I had to pick one, it'd be #46. 

It's the plethora of weaker covers that has deterred me from making a serious attempt to complete the set. So there are maybe 20 or more I wouldnt champion, most of them above #40.

I am slowly being drawn in by these fantastic books. The #19 I bought from softserve is a beautiful book. I have a #66 that I don't remember who sold on the boards here,,,but I'd like to thank you Rick for the friendly nudge,,,,I had been staring at  Schomberg and Cole artwork too long! heh heh,,,,,

On January 29, 2018 at 5:06 PM, kelholt said:

Here is a different style group shot of my Planet comics collection. The average grade of the 27 universal graded books is 8.97 and 1 5.0 restored (The first GA book I ever bought).It includes several pedigrees : Rockford, Okajima, Ohio, and Toledo. Very proud of my 1 and 73 (Title bookends) both being Toledo copies. There are 28 different issues total.

I thought I would share as this will be one of the last pictures taken of these books all together.

AA594BCA-F4E6-491F-92CF-6569CF2E5087.jpeg

7A168CE8-11EB-4BE6-A8FB-DB71A0EF638F.jpeg

28C230F3-2C32-43B2-AC3E-B2D1D7F92914.jpeg

amazing..great collector effort

14 hours ago, fast eddie said:

I am slowly being drawn in by these fantastic books. The #19 I bought from softserve is a beautiful book. I have a #66 that I don't remember who sold on the boards here,,,but I'd like to thank you Rick for the friendly nudge,,,,I had been staring at  Schomberg and Cole artwork too long! heh heh,,,,,

Don't start looking at Matt Baker or you're a dead man...:baiting:

On 1/29/2018 at 5:06 PM, kelholt said:

Here is a different style group shot of my Planet comics collection. The average grade of the 27 universal graded books is 8.97 and 1 5.0 restored (The first GA book I ever bought).It includes several pedigrees : Rockford, Okajima, Ohio, and Toledo. Very proud of my 1 and 73 (Title bookends) both being Toledo copies. There are 28 different issues total.

I thought I would share as this will be one of the last pictures taken of these books all together.

AA594BCA-F4E6-491F-92CF-6569CF2E5087.jpeg

7A168CE8-11EB-4BE6-A8FB-DB71A0EF638F.jpeg

28C230F3-2C32-43B2-AC3E-B2D1D7F92914.jpeg

Holey Toledo! Nice stack. Trouble is, for ME, looking at them that way, is somehow missing the point.  Like looking at a huge pile of cash.  Great for a minute but doesn't keep my interest long. Show some front sides!

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Holey Toledo! Nice stack. Trouble is, for ME, looking at them that way, is somehow missing the point.  Like looking at a huge pile of cash.  Great for a minute but doesn't keep my interest long. Show some front sides!

Here’s one not from the stack but One worth showing. Roulette wheel worthy black and RED logo...

A0B5D958-28CF-4590-B516-3FF849E123E6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Not to be contentious, but I like it as a fresh way to appreciate the achievement in a single photo. So much so I might attempt one myself - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say!

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Not to be contentious, but I like it as a fresh way to appreciate the achievement in a single photo. So much so I might attempt one myself - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say!

I might as well. About 30% of my collection is raw

17 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I have the PS Art books Planet Archives, which save me from temptation.

I would recommend those also. I read them and the quality is nice. It is not exactly like reading a real comic, but close. It is also good that each volume has 4-8 issues in one nicely packaged book(thumbsu