• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

How many Larson Planets are out there? 

Only the first 7 issues of the title. 

The #1 has a coupon cut out of the front cover. Another boardie owns the #2. I own the #3 and #5 (see below). The #4 and #7 are both nice. Jon Berk had the #6 (another boardie got it in auction).

Planet5Larson.png

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

Wow.  Unreal copy.  How many Larson Planets are out there?  That might be the only one I've seen.

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Only the first 7 issues of the title. 

The #1 has a coupon cut out of the front cover. Another boardie owns the #2. I own the #3 and #5 (see below). The #4 and #7 are both nice. Jon Berk had the #6 (another boardie got it in auction).

Hey Steve, thanks for the back story on the Larson Planets. I didn't know about any of that! I always assumed that Larson's name had graced many more Planet covers. Planet #7 has a cover date of July 1940. Wasn't Larson in the middle of his collecting spree at that time? Any explanation why there aren't more?

Yes, the Larson copy of Planet #6 now has a new shepherd, thanks to the mighty Jon Berk. It is a real jewel of my Planet run  :-)

5ab3187563f5c_ScreenShot2018-03-21at10_31_54PM.png.43b31995df59c9578ccadd0cb040d76c.png 

16 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hey Steve, thanks for the back story on the Larson Planets. I didn't know about any of that! I always assumed that Larson's name had graced many more Planet covers. Planet #7 has a cover date of July 1940. Wasn't Larson in the middle of his collecting spree at that time? Any explanation why there aren't more?

Yes, the Larson copy of Planet #6 now has a new shepherd, thanks to the mighty Jon Berk. It is a real jewel of my Planet run  :-)

5ab3187563f5c_ScreenShot2018-03-21at10_31_54PM.png.43b31995df59c9578ccadd0cb040d76c.png 

Jay, I don't know why Larson Planets don't extend further - since Larsons went through 11/41, there should have been more in the collection but sadly not.

I've told this story before, but the Larson Planet 6 was once mine for a few seconds. Jon Berk was standing right behind me when I pulled it out of a dealer's box at SDCC (this was back in the day). and I can still hear the lust in his voice and see the wanting in his eyes. So I merely handed the book over to him and the rest, as they say, is history.

Great book, if you ever upgrade you know where to send it! :cloud9:

15 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Jay, I don't know why Larson Planets don't extend further - since Larsons went through 11/41, there should have been more in the collection but sadly not.

I've told this story before, but the Larson Planet 6 was once mine for a few seconds. Jon Berk was standing right behind me when I pulled it out of a dealer's box at SDCC (this was back in the day). and I can still hear the lust in his voice and see the wanting in his eyes. So I merely handed the book over to him and the rest, as they say, is history.

Great book, if you ever upgrade you know where to send it! :cloud9:

Yes, I recall this story of yours. But it's always worth repeating! Good stuff, and a kind soul you are.

I might (= might) be willing to bargain if you can land me the Larson Planet #2. ;)

4 minutes ago, buttock said:

We have the 2, 3, 5, and 6.  Any info on the whereabouts of the 1, 4, and 7?

No idea where they currently are...

I was offered the #1 long ago, but turned it down because of the large coupon cut out of the front cover.

The #4 was really nice and in a slab, IIRC.

The #7 had an issue (some warping), but I didn't give it much thought because I have this:

Planet7.png

3 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

No idea where they currently are...

I was offered the #1 long ago, but turned it down because of the large coupon cut out of the front cover.

The #4 was really nice and in a slab, IIRC.

The #7 had an issue (some warping), but I didn't give it much thought because I have this:

Planet7.png

amazing!!!

7 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

You big boy Planet collectors really let me know where I am on the totem pole!

Ha! Wish I could show off my #10 again (CGC 8.5), but the image is stuck in Photosuckit hell.

When I started collecting, Planet Comics was one of the titles that really stood out in a crowded field. I've had some of these books (only recently slabbed) for a long, long time.

Edited by sacentaur

Although I have a Universal copy of Planet #2, its low grade (2.5) with Brittle pages.  #2 is one of my run that is definitely on my "want to upgrade" list.  It will likely be financially painful when that finally happens I anticipate.