• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

when I was looking for a copy of 15 they were available: they were just expensive. The copies I found all had brittle pages unfortunately: the CGC  2.5 and CGC 3.0 with brittle pages came available for purchase several times over 2 years but I did not want a brittle pages copy. So when I found my copy on Ebay I snagged it since it had off-white pages. The page quality is why I decided to scan my copy to help PS Artbooks with their request for Planet 15 for the compendiums they published.

Issue 14 though: for over a year and a half I never saw one for sale. When I finally did see a copy available I bought it. Happy to have it, but it is a copy I would like to upgrade. Since that purchase I have seen 3 copies for sale: the CGC 6.0, and 5.0 and a 4.0. Don't get me wrong, I would love to own either of those, but one of the issues I run into is how much is that upgrade going to cost versus how much of an upgrade is it? Do you pay $3800 to upgrade from a 3.0 to a 5.0? I can't seem to pull that trigger and it is why I am the under bidder on all 3 of those auctions.

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

Well, I'm very glad you didn't bid me up more on my 6.0 copy!! :smile:

lf-3.thumb.jpeg.a4ba158034ad370acb0676bf6874ab41.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

(worship)

Wow! Only one graded higher right? That's amazing.  Do we know who has the 7.5?

Jhutton, right here on these boards.

The Edgar Church collection owned by Metropolis boasts spectacular copies of the entire Planet Comics run, and the 15 is supposedly a 9.4. I have never seen it. Curious if anyone has?

28 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Well, I'm very glad you didn't bid me up more on my 6.0 copy!! :smile:

lf-3.thumb.jpeg.a4ba158034ad370acb0676bf6874ab41.jpeg

I already had my copy of 15, I didn't bid on that 15 at all ... so it wasn't me! :)

What a wonderful copy you have!

I have been considering sending in my Planet 15 for full restoration, especially considering it is already a qualified due to the married cover. As the cover has great colors, and the central mass is in great shape I think the result would be a decent grade restored. What do you think? Should I send it for restoration? At the very least the cover could be leaf cast and then reattached to the book as it is currently detached and completely split.

Cover%20Split_zpsotrxtlbf.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

(worship)

Wow! Only one graded higher right? That's amazing.  Do we know who has the 7.5?

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Jhutton, right here on these boards.

The Edgar Church collection owned by Metropolis boasts spectacular copies of the entire Planet Comics run, and the 15 is supposedly a 9.4. I have never seen it. Curious if anyone has?

Calling all cars! Calling all jhuttons @jhutton2 ! Show us that 7.5!! :popcorn:

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

when I was looking for a copy of 15 they were available: they were just expensive. The copies I found all had brittle pages unfortunately: the CGC  2.5 and CGC 3.0 with brittle pages came available for purchase several times over 2 years but I did not want a brittle pages copy. So when I found my copy on Ebay I snagged it since it had off-white pages. The page quality is why I decided to scan my copy to help PS Artbooks with their request for Planet 15 for the compendiums they published.

Issue 14 though: for over a year and a half I never saw one for sale. When I finally did see a copy available I bought it. Happy to have it, but it is a copy I would like to upgrade. Since that purchase I have seen 3 copies for sale: the CGC 6.0, and 5.0 and a 4.0. Don't get me wrong, I would love to own either of those, but one of the issues I run into is how much is that upgrade going to cost versus how much of an upgrade is it? Do you pay $3800 to upgrade from a 3.0 to a 5.0? I can't seem to pull that trigger and it is why I am the under bidder on all 3 of those auctions.

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

PlanetComics14raw30_zpsc5852bea.jpg

I am with you on this. Over the last decade of my Planet collecting, 15’s have come up from time to time. It almost seems that they come up in waves. A 3.0 might come up and then in the next 2 months it’s hammer price will drive out a 2.5 Purple label and a 1.5 (for example).  I have seen twice as many 15’s as I have 13’s for sale.

Now 14’s just don’t come up very often and when they do, IMO it is worth it to go from a 3.0 to a 5 or 6 (9.2 is Highest and two 6.0 are the next highest). The chance to upgrade is extremely limited. In my opinion, 13,14, and 15 are all tough to find and even tougher to locate for sale. The place where these books are truly rare is in higher condition. That’s right, I used the often overused and unsubstantiated R word... but in this case it truely applies as fact not just an empty opinion. IMO 5.0 and up is high condition for these 13 , 14 , and 15.

I’d be interested in other opinions on these 3 issues too. :foryou:

14 minutes ago, kelholt said:

I am with you on this. Over the last decade of my Planet collecting, 15’s have come up from time to time. It almost seems that they come up in waves. A 3.0 might come up and then in the next 2 months it’s hammer price will drive out a 2.5 Purple label and a 1.5 (for example).  I have seen twice as many 15’s as I have 13’s for sale.

Now 14’s just don’t come up very often and when they do, IMO it is worth it to go from a 3.0 to a 5 or 6 (9.2 is Highest and two 6.0 are the next highest). The chance to upgrade is extremely limited. In my opinion, 13,14, and 15 are all tough to find and even tougher to locate for sale. The place where these books are truly rare is in higher condition. That’s right, I used the often overused and unsubstantiated R word... but in this case it truely applies as fact not just an empty opinion. IMO 5.0 and up is high condition for these 13 , 14 , and 15.

I’d be interested in other opinions on these 3 issues too. :foryou:

I am just a Planets noob, but what about #6?

Census numbers very low.  Since I only recently started collecting I can't speak from personal experience on how frequently it hits the market.

Edited by Spyder!

4 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I am just a Planets noob, but what about #6?

Census numbers very low.  Since I only recently started collecting I can't speak from personal experience on how frequently it hits the market.

6 is another Planet that is harder to find. I put it at about the same as Planet 15. They do come up for sale and as Kelholt mentioned they seem to also appear in waves. A 5.5 sells then a couple more hit the market. Then you can go a year before you see any again.

With Planets many of the books require some patience to acquire.

I absolutely love my 6, here it is:

PlanetComics6cgc65front_zps1d9caa90.jpg