• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

My guess is these are coming from the personal collection of Metropolis. But I could be way off on this.

"color strikes" -- spoken like a true Planet connoisseur!

If this is true I’d suspect metropolis would have knowledge that several mega deep pocket buyers are interested for them to auction these all at once?...

I predict a bloodbath.

2 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Do we know if these have been slabbed and on census or are these raw copies?

:gossip: They will all be cgc copies. The census may not be updated with all of them at this time.

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I just want 1 or 2 Church Planets. It’s gonna be painful though.  

I am the same, one Church Planet is all I want...

Hopefully I can land a copy of a book I need to upgrade. #66 would be nice...

Edited by Artboy99

6 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

:news:

By way of today's ComicConnect.com email:

JUST ANNOUNCED - over sixty issues of Planet Comics from the mighty Edgar Church/Mile High Collection will be added to Event Auction #37.

They emailed you, I did not get it.......

Edited by Artboy99

4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

When the Church Jungles came up, I tried my darndest, which is pretty durned darnd, to win a couple, but was overbid each time. So I fully expect some daddybigbucks to pick them off no matter how high the bidding goes. I'm more concerned that my two 'highest graded' will be overtaken, maybe by a lot. [Been a long time coming.] It will be interesting to spectate.

Planet Comics #72 CGC 9.0.jpg

Planet Comics #65 CGC 8.5.jpg

I think the best thing you can do is just give up those two now to avoid the potential disappointment. 

A lot of questions …. none of my business(,,, as usual), but I'm very curious as to which issues are NOT in this auction. Mr Fishler has had the full run for ages so is he keeping a few (...I would), or did someone finally talk him into breaking up the run ? This Mile High Planet run has been legendary for years.... I told William once that I would be thrilled just to see scans of them.... I guess I'll mostly get my wish. I remember the rumors years ago that the full run, and ONLY the full run, was available for 250K ….. That was very aggressive back then, but even so, I wondered why someone couldn't see what a treasure it was. The auction should be very interesting... but several orders of magnitude above my reality. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

7 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

It's my  understanding that the Church copies are the ones in the photojournal, if anyone wants a sneak preview. [If I'm wrong about that just slap me.]

If you're right then it looks like a lot of the mid run issues have pretty faded color.

22 minutes ago, szavisca said:

If you're right then it looks like a lot of the mid run issues have pretty faded color.

If that's true, that's pretty disappointing. It's a moot point for me as I am a bum, however PLANETS with deep rich colour covers are a joy to behold, faded ones not so much. Even if I had the funds I wouldn't attempt to buy one just for the label/grade, it would have to be right in my eyes. Sure Edgar Church books are full of mystique but I would honestly rather own a book with good honest colours than one that looks as if it's been lying in the sun (even tho' it hasn't), no matter what the provenance. I guess it's all speculation until the actual scans become available, but it's a great injection of interest in the PLANET run nonetheless.

Edited by Grantley Goddard

The distributor markings are hard to see in Gerber but a number of them do not match up with them being Church copies.  Specifically:  7, 9, 15, 26, 27 and 33.  36 has decidely un-Churchlike crease down the front cover.

I did not see any issue with the typical "c" distributor code you would expect of a Church copy.

Therefore, I would not make any assumption that any Planet comic pictured in Gerber is a Church copy.

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

but I'm very curious as to which issues are NOT in this auction. 

With how they made the announcement I’d guess the bigger or rarer issues like some among 1-15 are being left out... surely if these were being included they’d have mentioned it because that would add to the hype.  Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Edited by szavisca

21 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

If that's true, that's pretty disappointing. It's a moot point for me as I am a bum, however PLANETS with deep rich colour covers are a joy to behold, faded ones not so much. Even if I had the funds I wouldn't attempt to buy one just for the label/grade, it would have to be right in my eyes. Sure Edgar Church books are full of mystique but I would honestly rather own a book with good honest colours than one that looks as if it's been lying in the sun (even tho' it hasn't), no matter what the provenance. I guess it's all speculation until the actual scans become available, but it's a great injection of interest in the PLANET run nonetheless.

Agreed...like that 65 and 72 posted above...the blues/purples and yellows on that Northford are staggering!