• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

How so?

I just find it odd that pretty much every Planet book bid on gets outbid within a matter of minutes in what seems like every case.   Someone tell me they have put in a high bid and it has stood for at least a few days?

7 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

I just find it odd that pretty much every Planet book bid on gets outbid within a matter of minutes in what seems like every case.   Someone tell me they have put in a high bid and it has stood for at least a few days?

Nope ....:sorry:

7 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

CC may be under instructions from the hypothetical uber bidder to to over bid. Or should that be uberbid?

10 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

It actually really sucks because some of my friends that are very interested in these books are getting put off by it and decided not to pursue them.....wait, technically I guess it's good for me since there is less competition..lol

27 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

Someone tell me they have put in a high bid and it has stood for at least a few days?

:whistle:

high profile auction with the hottest books at the moment and a once in a decade (or more) chance at highest grades on census = sky high prices.

You could always get the Walking Dead art, lots and lots of it under $100 at the moment.

When you look at books that old and in mint condition you wonder who put them away.A book in 9.6 that is sixty plus years old is pretty much a freak when you think about it .:smile:

On 10/28/2018 at 9:51 AM, Dr. Love said:

"His heirs, for reasons I was never able to clearly understand, had an extreme antipathy toward anything paper that Mr. Church had accumulated during his lifetime. One theory I have about their dislike of his files is that the cost of all the comics and magazines that Mr. Church purchased during the 1920-1955 period put a severe drain on the family finances. Mr. Church collected every super-hero and adventure/horror comic printed, quite a few non-super-hero comics, vast numbers of pulp magazines, and even a large quantity of magazines with line-art covers. The cost of all those purchases, plus the fact that his files ended up filling darn near the entire basement, must have been quite an annoyance to the rest of his family."

"During the period from about 1925-1953 he was on the staff of Mountain Bell, the phone company for the Rocky Mountain region. He worked in the advertising department, designing and drawing ads for the first commercial directories (later to be know as Yellow Pages)."

Anyone care to tally up his purchases as a percentage of his potential disposable family income?  Edgar could probably be the poster boy for anyone who has had a problem with a wife who disapproved of their collecting "hobby".  Who do you think that padlock was meant to keep out - thieves?  his kids, so they wouldn't get their disgusting dirty little hands on his preciouses?  or his wife, so she wouldbn't destroy them in a hate filled rage?  nice guy eh?

Well, I assume the comic book portion would have been around $2,000 as he probably had to pay full cover price for all of them.

At least that's what the family ask for from Chuck for the entire collection.  They probably thought he was some know nothing nutso for agreeing to pay full cover price for what were basically used funny books.  :screwy:

And a poor one at that since poor Chuckles didn't even have the two grand to pay for the books and had to go borrow it from Burrell Rowe down in Texas. :takeit:

2 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

I have been the high bidder on one book for 4 days straight.