• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,229 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, kelholt said:

First book #6

Overstreet says 5 and 6 are rare. You don’t have to be a planet collector long to realize this is true. There are only 21 cgc copies of 5 and a mere 17 of 6. This 9.0 is the best 6 I have ever seen (and yes I see the chip in the bottom right. Beautiful colors and a great spine. I think this was one of the bargains of the auction, especially being a Rivet. 60D0A2F6-8396-49B5-8463-547C4A96A01C.jpeg.8094eb1fb5e686bed75f0c9bc22db288.jpeg

Absolutely stunning haul! Icing on the cake is that they are all Church copies! 

Amazing!:golfclap:

54 minutes ago, kelholt said:

One of my first 5 Planets was #19. I owned the Lost Valley 9.2 copy. Loved it. Then life happened and I had to sell it along with 18 other Planets. Out of the group I sold I missed this one second most. Jeff owned the Lost Valley after me and it moved to a 9.4. I tried to buy it when he sold it on HA, but just didn’t have the dough. Then whoever owned it auctioned it again about a 18 months later, and again I was the underbidder. This one was not going to get away. 19 and 13 are very similar in composition and they are both tops on my rivets list.

5B7D4F25-A0CF-49CC-ACB5-6872E80C1451.jpeg.7e0e4a279f4b26cdeb178ce998043e55.jpeg

Amazing copy!! Congrats Kelly!!

9 hours ago, kelholt said:

One of my first 5 Planets was #19. I owned the Lost Valley 9.2 copy. Loved it. Then life happened and I had to sell it along with 18 other Planets. Out of the group I sold I missed this one second most. Jeff owned the Lost Valley after me and it moved to a 9.4. I tried to buy it when he sold it on HA, but just didn’t have the dough. Then whoever owned it auctioned it again about a 18 months later, and again I was the underbidder. This one was not going to get away. 19 and 13 are very similar in composition and they are both tops on my rivets list.

5B7D4F25-A0CF-49CC-ACB5-6872E80C1451.jpeg.7e0e4a279f4b26cdeb178ce998043e55.jpeg

Congratulations, Kelly! Those are stunning - you have such a good eye for the picks of the litter!

9 hours ago, kelholt said:

First book #6

Overstreet says 5 and 6 are rare. You don’t have to be a planet collector long to realize this is true. There are only 21 cgc copies of 5 and a mere 17 of 6. This 9.0 is the best 6 I have ever seen (and yes I see the chip in the bottom right. Beautiful colors and a great spine. I think this was one of the bargains of the auction, especially being a Rivet. 60D0A2F6-8396-49B5-8463-547C4A96A01C.jpeg.8094eb1fb5e686bed75f0c9bc22db288.jpeg

Absolute bargain!

10 hours ago, kelholt said:

First book #6

Congrats on your acquisitions. Some really nice stuff, and books to treasure for sure. I am not trying to p**s on your chips, but I am at a loss to see how a book with that flaw on the bottom corner can achieve a 9.0?  I mean, how is that possible? I know the book has other qualities that on balance level out at the grade, but it's still an unrealistic grade on pure appearance for me. Just sayin'. Nevertheless a great book.

1 hour ago, Dubble G said:

Congrats on your acquisitions. Some really nice stuff, and books to treasure for sure. I am not trying to p**s on your chips, but I am at a loss to see how a book with that flaw on the bottom corner can achieve a 9.0?  I mean, how is that possible? I know the book has other qualities that on balance level out at the grade, but it's still an unrealistic grade on pure appearance for me. Just sayin'. Nevertheless a great book.

It's a bindery chip on [what would be] a 9.6 copy otherwise. Not to lecture, but whether or not you are aware, bindery chips are exceedinglycommon on Fiction House books, so much so that  CGC treats them as an aspect of the production process. [My erstwhile Fight #44 is a case in point.]

The Church #6 now, is an absolute beauty, and the chip would not phase me in the least given the compensatory factors, because I know there is not a better copy out there - this is a tough, tough book in grade. [I used to own the former highest graded, at 7.5, so I would know]. Would I prefer a 9.6 ped without the chip? Absolutely - but we all have our fantasies, and without the chip that book is easily 20k. I'd say it is worth far more than Kelly paid for it.

FightComics41cgc94Rockford_zps9de27a19.jpg

I take your points, but I was not talking about monetary value. I'm not interested in that aspect, probably because I'm not in those leagues. I was merely talking about aesthetics. Whatever the reasons behind the qualification, that book looks to be an 8.5 at best to me. However that is my opinion, and only my opinion. It's an honest one.

Would I be happy to own that particular copy? Of course. Would I be happy with the grade assigned to it? 

Over the moon. 

23 minutes ago, Dubble G said:

I take your points, but I was not talking about monetary value. I'm not interested in that aspect, probably because I'm not in those leagues. I was merely talking about aesthetics. Whatever the reasons behind the qualification, that book looks to be an 8.5 at best to me. However that is my opinion, and only my opinion. It's an honest one.

Would I be happy to own that particular copy? Of course. Would I be happy with the grade assigned to it? 

Over the moon. 

I've always felt that CGC's dilemma regarded aesthetics versus technical grade. I once passed on some early Mystery Tales [Northland pedigree] because of severe browning to inner covers. I mean, they were baked. Another buyer, evidently more astute than I,  had them graded, and they came back in the NM range - maybe 9.0 [it's a while ago so not entirely certain now]. I was shocked, but it is interesting to think on 'visible' versus 'invisible' faults after a book is CGC graded, and how various faults are treated. It's far more an art than a science, and art is opinion, which sometimes leads to discomfiture.

As for whether it is an 8.5 or a 9.0? I doubt very much it's inherent desirability [let's not say value] is much changed if the grade is lowered - the chip is still there, and so are the vibrant colors, and the exceptional structure.

I respect your opinion, but give me aesthetics any day!

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
3 hours ago, Dubble G said:

It's a bindery chip on [what would be] a 9.6 copy otherwise. Not to lecture, but whether or not you are aware, bindery chips are exceedinglycommon on Fiction House books, so much so that  CGC treats them as an aspect of the production process. [My erstwhile Fight #44 is a case in point.]

To be a bindery chip it would a chip out on the spine.  Bindery chips are production defect and CGC does not count off as much for it as an actual chip out.

The Planet 6 may have little wrong with apart from the piece of glue and the chip out.  CGC graded it a 9.0 after deducting for those defects.  They also might have said it was between 8.5 and 9.0 and bumped it to 9.0 because it was a high quality pedigree.

It certainly looks gorgeous.  But I'm not jealous.  Definitely not.

13 hours ago, kelholt said:

This is one of my later favorites in the middle late run. The fact that it is a remake of 9 is cool to me along with the bonus of New York and the Statue of Liberty on the cover.  Bright yellows make the green ship, blue uniformed Volta men, and her red dress pop off the page. I thought this issue was one of the best “colored” books in the Church run and in hand my thoughts are confirmed.

C5DEB185-F0A7-424A-B303-3CB7B38D083C.jpeg.9330c7618e805881d47de4903c250601.jpeg

Does the red look this good in hand?:x

26 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

It's not a typical production defect like a bindery chip so I am not confident I can diagnose from a scan.

Speaking more generally, one of course sees numerous faults that occur in the production process, and FH books seem to be prone to the full gamut of these.

16 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Speaking more generally, one of course sees numerous faults that occur in the production process, and FH books seem to be prone to the full gamut of these. 

I agree that FH printing was poor but it's still not a typical defect I've seen from FH like bindery tears or diluted inks or poor page quality.

For me, books with flaws like #6 have always been the most difficult to grade.  When a book shows overall signs of wear consistent with a grade it’s much easier than when the book is otherwise pristine and has one significant flaw.  How much should you penalize a book that is nearly perfect but has a flaw like this? Not an easy question to answer. 

9 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I agree that FH printing was poor but it's still not a typical defect I've seen from FH like bindery tears or diluted inks or poor page quality.

Unfortunately I've not kept scans of the various faults I've seen, though I suspect that quality control was fairly lacking with Fiction House!

2 hours ago, Spyder! said:

For me, books with flaws like #6 have always been the most difficult to grade.  When a book shows overall signs of wear consistent with a grade it’s much easier than when the book is otherwise pristine and has one significant flaw.  How much should you penalize a book that is nearly perfect but has a flaw like this? Not an easy question to answer. 

Richard Muchin, way back when, had a good process for this.  You determine if you'd rather have the same book in VG, FN, etc., and if you'd prefer the book with a single defect over a FN but less than a F/VF, then it's a FN+.  It isn't scientific, but it makes a lot of sense. 

3 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Like this copy:

PlanetComics6cgc65front_zps1d9caa90.jpg

6 hours ago, SushiX said:

Does the red look this good in hand?:x

It does look just as good in hand.

It is difficult to take a picture without glare, but here it is next to my #60 which has a similar yellow background. The yellow even looks more fresh and bright on the Church book. The red stands out along with the green ship and blue accent parts on her dress and the Volta’s uniform.

90D68815-1C67-417D-8FA4-C7E7902B2979.thumb.jpeg.d3c60f5971ebbd85df8b3d8d46538ac9.jpeg