• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Great copy! What is that on the spine next to the “P” anyway?

Also, I haven’t had to worry about grading high grade books since I stopped collecting silver and Bronze Age. It’s easy to grade my Planets :insane:

19E16997-5855-47E5-8779-75B62D6988EC.jpeg

I hope the seller disclosed the tape :angel: 

41 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Great copy! What is that on the spine next to the “P” anyway?

Also, I haven’t had to worry about grading high grade books since I stopped collecting silver and Bronze Age. It’s easy to grade my Planets :insane:

19E16997-5855-47E5-8779-75B62D6988EC.jpeg

is the plastic holder of the inner well

16 hours ago, kelholt said:

It does look just as good in hand.

It is difficult to take a picture without glare, but here it is next to my #60 which has a similar yellow background. The yellow even looks more fresh and bright on the Church book. The red stands out along with the green ship and blue accent parts on her dress and the Volta’s uniform.

90D68815-1C67-417D-8FA4-C7E7902B2979.thumb.jpeg.d3c60f5971ebbd85df8b3d8d46538ac9.jpeg

2 fine ladies!  :x I love them!

Edited by SushiX

5 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Then I really can’t see anything wrong with that copy. How is it a 6.5?

spine is split about 3/8ths an inch at the bottom.

From "King of ___" bottom of that lettering to the bottom of the book.

Edited by Artboy99

6 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Near full Rivet run in lower grade in the next CC auction, and among them the JB copy of #2 in 8.0, which suddenly begins to seem downright common!:ohnoez:

They also have a #2 in there buy it now section (and no it is not mine) :shy:.

2019-01-09_11-35-26.jpg

On 1/6/2019 at 10:15 PM, kelholt said:

One of my first 5 Planets was #19. I owned the Lost Valley 9.2 copy. Loved it. Then life happened and I had to sell it along with 18 other Planets. Out of the group I sold I missed this one second most. Jeff owned the Lost Valley after me and it moved to a 9.4. I tried to buy it when he sold it on HA, but just didn’t have the dough. Then whoever owned it auctioned it again about a 18 months later, and again I was the underbidder. This one was not going to get away. 19 and 13 are very similar in composition and they are both tops on my rivets list.

5B7D4F25-A0CF-49CC-ACB5-6872E80C1451.jpeg.7e0e4a279f4b26cdeb178ce998043e55.jpeg

Just catching up on this thread.

Congrats on this book from your direct underbidder. :shy:

Glad to learn that 19 went to a first-class boardie and true Planet fanatic! I saw this book up close; you landed one of the best of the books. The 6 ain’t half bad either!

8 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Near full Rivet run in lower grade in the next CC auction, and among them the JB copy of #2 in 8.0, which suddenly begins to seem downright common!:ohnoez:

Wow! Rivets are just falling from the sky these days! I hope I can fill just one of my rivet holes.

I don’t see the Planet 2 in the buy it now section. I suspect someone already picked it up. Seemed like a very good price to me!

21 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Wow! Rivets are just falling from the sky these days! I hope I can fill just one of my rivet holes.

I don’t see the Planet 2 in the buy it now section. I suspect someone already picked it up. Seemed like a very good price to me!

Yeah.. GONE!!!

2019-01-09_11-35-26.thumb.jpg.3ee473ff94d7ed65e8e47701eab9d6b7.jpg

I know what Planets have been selling for privately over the last year. That price on the 2 was maybe $1500 under a full auction value. It is such a significant book to so many Planet collectors. 

I feel pretty in touch with the "market" on Planets and Baker books. I can say "whoever" bought that got a very fair but not crazy low price. 

Hey I've got a little question for you Planet heads...have a look at this.  I was taking some interior cover pics upon request for a book I had listed when I noticed that pretty much every black line of the fc and bc (including all the little text at the bottom) showed what looked like a little bleedthrough.  Here's an excerpt from our pm:

"Ok here are some pics of the interior cover.  As I was taking the pics I noticed that there is what at first glance appears to be color touch bleedthrough which I never noticed.  However upon very close examination of the outside and inside of the cover with a loupe, I'm 99.9 percent sure it is not.  The marks on the inside cover correspond to every black line on the outside, even the tiny little text on the bc, bottom and under very close examination of the lettering and other black lines I can't see any evidence that they were written over.  I feel like it would be nearly impossible to go over EVERY solid black line on the fc and bc without smudging  or mucking up the tiny typed text.  Anyhoo, just wanted to preface with that as at first I was a little perturbed, lol"

Is this something you've seen before or could this possibly be resto?  Just seems implausible to me but...

DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0423.JPG

DSC_0425.JPG

DSC_0426.JPG

Edited by Mystafo