• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, SushiX said:

:pullhair: where do you keep finding these!! lol .....congrats!:)

Do you remember the Ringwraiths from LOTR and how they were drawn to the ring of power if someone puts it on?  It’s kinda like that.  Any time that anybody gets out a rivet issue to look at it I am immediately drawn to their location.  I’m like a Rivetwraith.

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

After about a month of making zero progress towards completing the run, I have added 3 books this week! 

I am very happy with the copy of #10 I found. Definitely a top 5 cover for me.  :x

447956AF-EF7C-4590-9F7A-862D8BD5EF49.jpeg

Very nice pickup.

I definitely agree, 10 is in the top 5 or 6. So much going on within the awesome black cover (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

After about a month of making zero progress towards completing the run, I have added 3 books this week! 

I am very happy with the copy of #10 I found. Definitely a top 5 cover for me.  :x

447956AF-EF7C-4590-9F7A-862D8BD5EF49.jpeg

pretty copy! #10 is one of my faves in the run as well.

1 hour ago, SushiX said:

:pullhair: where do you keep finding these!! lol .....congrats!:)

when I was very actively acquiring Planet Comics for my own run I had like 15 comic selling websites bookmarked. I checked them every morning during breakfast, every lunch, every evening during dinner and sometimes before I went to bed. Spyder is also letting it be known he is searching for Planets, and has the issues he seeks in his signature.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

when I was very actively acquiring Planet Comics for my own run I had like 15 comic selling websites bookmarked. I checked them every morning during breakfast, every lunch, every evening during dinner and sometimes before I went to bed. Spyder is also letting it be known he is searching for Planets, and has the issues he seeks in his signature.

I got to step up my game!! it seems like planets are extremely popular right now and maybe forever because I've looked at at least 10 different sites and they barley have any in stock.(in grade I want.)

On ‎2019‎/‎01‎/‎10 at 7:52 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Wow! Where'd you scoop that up? Big congrats! Looks like you're pretty much in the home stretch now. 

You're gonna hold the record for completing a Planet run in the shortest period of time in history.

We shall see.

I had a complete run in less than a year...

Upgrading...that is a lifetime.

Edited by Artboy99

15 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

Well Spyder, I for one will be glad when you finish your run, so you can stop stealing, I mean scooping up, all the great finds!

congrats on that #10. (worship)

Thanks. That #3 you picked up this week is stunning!

20 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

This. 

Artboy shared this same obsessive approach with me months ago. It takes a true addict to go quickly through the run! I had many sites I checked but not every day. I now check much more often.  And these boards are a great resource. 8 of the 18 rivets I now possess were acquired here through the marketplace and private sales.

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

We shall see.

Wow! That is an amazing accomplishment.  Even if I do finish in less than a year, my middle of the run books are extremely low grade. I’ve read your thread from when you first completed the run and yours were definitely in significantly better condition on average, so it wouldn’t mean much if I do finish quicker.

Plus, I wouldn’t be this close if not for you! (worship)

27 minutes ago, SushiX said:

I got to step up my game!! it seems like planets are extremely popular right now and maybe forever because I've looked at at least 10 different sites and they barley have any in stock.(in grade I want.)

Starting this thread didn't help...:shy:

3 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

This. 

Artboy shared this same obsessive approach with me months ago. It takes a true addict to go quickly through the run! I had many sites I checked but not every day. I now check much more often.  And these boards are a great resource. 8 of the 18 rivets I now possess were acquired here through the marketplace and private sales.

Wow! That is an amazing accomplishment.  Even if I do finish in less than a year, my middle of the run books are extremely low grade. I’ve read your thread from when you first completed the run and yours were definitely in significantly better condition on average, so it wouldn’t mean much if I do finish quicker.

Plus, I wouldn’t be this close if not for you! (worship)

These boards are a great resource absolutely. My first Planet was purchased here on these boards and so was my last Planet. I know I finished the completed run in September 2014, I know I started collecting Planets in late 2013 but I can't find exactly when I started. It was a Planet 41 CGC 8.5

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

We shall see.

Wow, I didn't realize you'd collected that run in such a short period of time! :whatthe:

Clearly my 10-year odyssey to complete the run must say something about my incompetence! (Though to be fair, I think it's only been the last 5 years or so when Planets really started hitting the marketplace big time.)

12 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Wow, I didn't realize you'd collected that run in such a short period of time! :whatthe:

Clearly my 10-year odyssey to complete the run must say something about my incompetence! (Though to be fair, I think it's only been the last 5 years or so when Planets really started hitting the marketplace big time.)

well in fairness I can be rather obsessive.

In 2013 my Mother passed away and I received an inheritance and I "invested" a good portion of it into comics. Planet Comics was one of my choices among a few other Golden Age books and I do not regret it. Since 2014 all the books have gone up in value. While they are not as liquid as actual money as you have to find a buyer it is difficult for me to find an investment that performs as well as comics...

I also sold a lot of books. I call them sacrifices to generate cash that went towards completing the run/upgrading.

Cya CGC 3.0 AF15

Cya CGC 5.5 Hulk 1 as examples...

Edited by Artboy99

I don't own any Planets anymore, although I did own at one time as many as 6. :whatthe:

I can't afford anymore to spend huge amounts on original comic books, and when I do get some spare cash, it goes on the lusty girl who turned my head, the beguiling temptress that is Miss PCH.

However I still love the Planets and read the hardback PS editions. What attracted me to Planets in the first place was that they epitomise for me the Golden Age of this great hobby of ours. 

Owning a Church copy of a Planet is as good as it gets IMO. 

Edited by Dubble G

3 minutes ago, Dubble G said:

I don't own any Planets anymore, although I did own at one time as many as 6. :whatthe:

I can't afford anymore to spend huge amounts on original comic books, and when I do get some spare cash, it goes on the lusty girl who turned my head, the beguiling temptress that is Miss PCH.

However I still love the Planets and read the hardback PS editions. What attracted me to Planets in the first place was that they epitomise for me the Golden Age of this great hobby.  

Miss PCH catches my eye as well. :cloud9: