• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I LOVE date stamps. This one is especially well placed. And pedigreed no less!

I am not a huge fan of the mid-run issues. For me, 1-35 are great for the most part, and so are 65-73. There are about 5 exceptions to that rule and 53 is one of them! Very nice.

I love 53. Bondage cover, used in Soti..what's not to love?

On 1/12/2019 at 9:43 PM, Spyder! said:

So, does anyone here collect the Planet Stories pulps? I honestly no nothing at all about pulps or the market for them, but I’m curios given that Planet Comics came from Planet Stories, at least in the beginning. Any insights into the quality of the art? Collectibility? Prices/values? Thanks

I was offered the #1 pulp by a fellow board member and had the copy been in slightly better condition I might have purchased it. 

Edited by Artboy99

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

But those number 50 issues have Mysta of the Moon by Matt Baker. Also some Evans and Kamen as well I believe. Gotta look inside!

I totally agree. I highly recommend that people read them. I know some people don't read comic books, which I do not understand at all, but some of the stuff in there is ground  breaking on the sci-fi front for the time. You can even see influences which shaped some of the modern classic films we have how. There's actually some Star Wars references for example which George Lucas obviously stored away and used many years later.

Comic books are for reading  :sumo:

Enjoy them!! rantrant  

19 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I wonder if the preference of cover also is influenced by the book you own?

For example: I used to think issue 48 is just an average cover, BUT I absolutely love my copy and it ranks very high within my own Planet collection.

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps57bb

Planet%20Comics%2048%20inner%20cover_zps

Anyone else feel the same?

That book ticks a number of boxes.

1. Amazing condition

2. Great colour density.

3. Robot cover.

4. Double Cover

5. Quirky 'out-of-register' copy.

What's not to like?

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

For example: I used to think issue 48 is just an average cover, BUT I absolutely love my copy and it ranks very high within my own Planet collection.

^^ If I owned that copy I would definitely feel the same. 

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Oh boy, 48 is pretty great too. And I also love 36, which is drawn with similar perspective.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:23 PM, Robot Man said:

But those number 50 issues have Mysta of the Moon by Matt Baker. Also some Evans and Kamen as well I believe. Gotta look inside!

Ditto. The art in between the covers rivals the covers. Shame that humans ever invented plastic.