• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

1/3 of a pretty great mail call today.  

C6A171C9-7DFC-452B-98DB-6F4224DCBAE3.jpeg

Rick, I’m so glad the 17 went to a boardie. Congrats on one of the best books ever.  It could not have gone to someone who would appreciate it more. (worship)(worship)(worship)

55 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

To my Planet Comics-loving friends,

I started collecting Planet Comics in June of last year. I quickly became addicted and decided to try to collect the entire run and to do so as quickly as possible.  I now have 68 of the 73 issues.  However, in the interest of speed (and my wallet) I picked up whatever was available (and cheap) to fill holes.  Now, for some issues, I have no problem with a really beat copy.  Heck, pretty much all the rivets are tough to find, period, and I will take what I can find.  For other issues though, I probably could have been a bit more patient and selective.  I’ve also never had so much fun collecting comics as I have had chasing the Planets.  I don’t want it to be over yet.  So, if you see me selling off about half of the run, just know that it’s soemthing I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about and it’s what I want to do.  I want to drag this thing out.  I want to put more effort into the mid-run books then I did this time around, prior to crossing the finish line some day.  I want to find all the rivets first and maybe upgrade one or two.  My goal is still to complete the run, I’m just changing the way in which I will do it. Or maybe I’m just nuts. Who knows?

I've adopted a similar approach. Twenty years on, I only have about a third of the run, but they are the issues I like most [with two or three of those still to get], and all keepers. Upgrading is a labor of love, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I started collecting Planet Comics in June of last year. I quickly became addicted and decided to try to collect the entire run and to do so as quickly as possible.  I now have 68 of the 73 issues.  However, in the interest of speed (and my wallet) I picked up whatever was available (and cheap) to fill holes.  Now, for some issues, I have no problem with a really beat copy.  Heck, pretty much all the rivets are tough to find, period, and I will take what I can find.  For other issues though, I probably could have been a bit more patient and selective.  I’ve also never had so much fun collecting comics as I have had chasing the Planets.  I don’t want it to be over yet.  So, if you see me selling off about half of the run, just know that it’s soemthing I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about and it’s what I want to do.  I want to drag this thing out.  I want to put more effort into the mid-run books then I did this time around, prior to crossing the finish line some day.  I want to find all the rivets first and maybe upgrade one or two.  My goal is still to complete the run, I’m just changing the way in which I will do it. Or maybe I’m just nuts. Who knows?

Hrmmm...

I recommend keeping what you have accumulated, and start upgrading books as you go, selling under copies once you have upgraded.

20 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

1/3 of a pretty great mail call today.  

C6A171C9-7DFC-452B-98DB-6F4224DCBAE3.jpeg

probably the 2 I like the most of the group of Church copies you purchased. 17 is arguably one of my favorite Planets, (certainly in my top 5) and that copy of  33 is spectacular. Can't imagine what they look like in hand.

32 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

probably the 2 I like the most of the group of Church copies you purchased. 17 is arguably one of my favorite Planets, (certainly in my top 5) and that copy of  33 is spectacular. Can't imagine what they look like in hand.

Thank you sir. I’ve never had someone actually take a picture of me with comics before but I did with my six Church Planets.  

4 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I’ve done this twice already before. Been that close. Sold off. Bought back.  Sold again. The fun is in the hunt. 

37 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Hrmmm...

I recommend keeping what you have accumulated, and start upgrading books as you go, selling under copies once you have upgraded.

Too late! :cry:

I’m keeping all of my favorites and the ones that I’ve found to be very tough books.  I believe this will give me a better chance of grabbing the last 4 rivets I need, since it will expand the range of grades in my price range. Then, once the really tough books are done, I’ll go add the rest back. That’s the plan anyway. 

To quote Oscar Wild (although I learned it from Willy Wonka) “The suspense is terrible! I hope it will last.”  Thats my take on pursuing the Planets.

2 minutes ago, SamPool said:

Come on our screen will be fine

You like him that much, eh?

Edited by Bird
a comma would have made all the difference in the world!

14 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don't think anyone really wants to see this but I will post it here for posterity. If you would have told me a few years back I would have One, let alone SIX Church Planet Comics, I would have politely said that was not possible. 

This is probably my 2nd favorite mail call of all-time (don't ask what was first- but you can assume it had something to do with Charles Schulz) and I just couldn't help but ask someone in my office to take the pic. Please don't note the Five Guys cup or various boxes behind me.

IMG_9099.JPG

That's what you call a vintage six pack,the 34 has been my second favorite Planet for a long time :applause:

19 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don't think anyone really wants to see this but I will post it here for posterity. If you would have told me a few years back I would have One, let alone SIX Church Planet Comics, I would have politely said that was not possible. 

This is probably my 2nd favorite mail call of all-time (don't ask what was first- but you can assume it had something to do with Charles Schulz) and I just couldn't help but ask someone in my office to take the pic. Please don't note the Five Guys cup or various boxes behind me.

IMG_9099.JPG

Stunning...

:whee::whee::whee::whee::whee::whee:     <-  One for each book.