• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,231 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Finally found one of these with the right colors.

Planet Comics #51 CGC 8.0.jpg

I really love the purple in the background :cloud9:

One of the best mid-run covers IMO.  

Also, the only issue in the run where the title does not have "3D" letters. 

51 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I really love the purple in the background :cloud9:

One of the best mid-run covers IMO.  

Also, the only issue in the run where the title does not have "3D" letters. 

Took me years to notice the 2D title! Maybe my focus was elsewhere.

I spent entire decades not liking this cover before realizing belatedly that I like it a lot.

I was just now trying to figure out what is so different about this particular cover, why it stands apart from its near contemporaries - and apart from the sheer range of colors [I;'m a sucker for bright reds of course], it seems to me that the dramatic effect is heightened beyond most later Planet covers because the heroine is in direst peril of becoming tenderloin [note the skull in the corner],  is dressed for the ballroom [slit skirt on a Demon planet, no less, and how do you fire this silly pistol anyway? And why hasnt Flash rescued me yet?]

I also think the vignette in the background is kind of hilarious. Is that a female lizard demon, perhaps? And is he glad to see her? Are we looking at the Fiction House equivalent of Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice?

And yet I think Doolin was simply auto assembling according to the usual formula, not consciously referencing anything of this.

First you innu, then you endo.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

9 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Finally found one of these with the right colors.

Planet Comics #51 CGC 8.0.jpg

5 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Took me years to notice the 2D title! Maybe my focus was elsewhere.

I spent entire decades not liking this cover before realizing belatedly that I like it a lot.

I was just now trying to figure out what is so different about this particular cover, why it stands apart from its near contemporaries - and apart from the sheer range of colors [I;'m a sucker for bright reds of course], it seems to me that the dramatic effect is heightened beyond most later Planet covers because the heroine is in direst peril of becoming tenderloin [note the skull in the corner],  is dressed for the ballroom [slit skirt on a Demon planet, no less, and how do you fire this silly pistol anyway? And why hasnt Flash rescued me yet?]

I also think the vignette in the background is kind of hilarious. Is that a female lizard demon, perhaps? And is he glad to see her? Are we looking at the Fiction House equivalent of Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice?

Come to think of it, that female lizard demon in the background does look a whole lot like a young Natalie Wood!

5 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Come to think of it, that female lizard demon in the background does look a whole lot like a young Natalie Wood!

I don't see it but Natalie was gorgeous...as is that damsel suffering reptilian revulsion.  

8 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Wow! I must have missed that one.  Didn’t see that anywhere. 

It was listed on Ebay under silver age at a great price convinced him to sell me direct,if it was listed under Golden age it would have been gone in a minute... still not as good as your MF 52 find on the bay

2 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

That #2 Planet that sold on HA recently was pretty nice.  Anyone here pick it up?

I wish! 

Pretty amazing.  The 3 highest graded copies of Planet 2 all coming to auction within a few months of each other.  Maybe someone on the boards can land the Berk copy at auction right now. 

23 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I wish! 

Pretty amazing.  The 3 highest graded copies of Planet 2 all coming to auction within a few months of each other.  Maybe someone on the boards can land the Berk copy at auction right now. 

That’s the way it seems to go with certain planet issues. You don’t see one offered for sale/auction for years and then 2-3 pop up in a 12-18 month span. This gets amplified if you are looking for the book in a certain grade too. All part of the crazy and fun collecting chase that you have to accept when collecting Planets.