• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kelholt said:

That’s the way it seems to go with certain planet issues. You don’t see one offered for sale/auction for years and then 2-3 pop up in a 12-18 month span. This gets amplified if you are looking for the book in a certain grade too. All part of the crazy and fun collecting chase that you have to accept when collecting Planets. 

The high dollar sales result of one copy can have a tendency to bring other copies to market which is why this happens.

1 minute ago, Spyder! said:

Ok, since the theme of the day appears to be group shots, here is my contribution.  I wish I had a nice wall or spinner rack to display mine, but with 4 kids in the house between the ages of 2 and 9, these are usually stashed away in a box on a high shelf in the closet.

The longest sequential run I currently own, issues 6 through 22.

0671F66D-FC73-4434-B08E-E465D77D8EA6.jpeg

that's a lovely group you got there jared!!:x

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

but with 4 kids in the house between the ages of 2 and 9,

I also have 4 sprogs, but they're aged between 18-40. They were brought up knowing comic books were sacrosanct. Not one bit of damage occurred to my books because of them...bless 'em.

If there was ever any accidental damage done it was always by their ham-fisted father. doh! 

Cross posting this here, I've already posted in the Restoration forum but wanted to get everyone here's take on this.  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/planet-comics-1-fiction-house-1940-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/121909-11945.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

I watched this Planet Comics 1 in 5.5 sell yesterday for $6,600.  I apologize in advance if you won this auction and are psyched about the book, as I'm chasing one too and I'd be excited about it.  But it has clearly had color touch removed from the spine with an exacto knife or similar tool, and it appears there are even holes in the cover from this process.  Leaving aside whether the grade is correct, I am of the opinion that this book should NOT be receiving a blue label.  I don't believe CGC should set things up to incentivize cutting on classic books, and I'd bet the seller made a few grand off this "process".  I personally think the book looks hideous now.  These books have had a tough enough time lasting 80 years, why get a new generation cutting and modifying them to chase a buck?  When someone is removing color touch, and in the process removing original color from the cover, they are pretty much by definition restoring/changing/conserving (take your pick) the book.  I think these books should get at a minimum a Conserved label, and I think you could even argue this is a type of trimming.  I'd appreciate hearing what some of you think about this issue.

This also raises the secondary question of tracking provenance.  I think CGC should be trying to provide provenance/history of books that have been re-subbed after these types of operations (when possible)  This is no different than chain of title for a classic car or provenance for a piece of art, and would provide a buyer MORE info to tell them the history of the item and where it has been, which will help the market more fully understand one that is for sale.  I realize this may not be easy.  But with a Planet 1 with only 60 total graded books, it shouldn't be impossible to find out what this book was before, if it had been previously graded (obviously this would be far more difficult for a Hulk 181).  And it would both cut down on re-sub grade chasers and restorers who can hide what a book was.  Which also inflates the pool of information about what actually exists (and it wouldn't surprise me if they have an internal process for tracking some of these).  After all what good is a census if some percentage of the total has been counted multiple times?  But this is a different problem and somewhat distinct from the above.