• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

A pickup from Sean's recent thread ...

Planet27.jpg

27 is an issue that seems to suffer from muted reds on many copies. The 4 armed dinosaur creature often looks brown, not deep reddish orange. The colors on your copy are quite nice. 

Edited by Spyder!
Spelling

23 hours ago, Spyder! said:

More than 2 days without a post in the Planet thread? Unacceptable!

Not high grade but I still love it.

B98D6396-B89C-471E-B853-0FC72C493E6C.jpeg

30 is a great book. Sweet pick up by you.

I especially like FH books with real locations and iconic buildings/structures in the background....in this case France and the Eiffel Tower 🇫🇷.

15 minutes ago, kelholt said:

30 is a great book. Sweet pick up by you.

I especially like FH books with real locations and iconic buildings/structures in the background....in this case France and the Eiffel Tower 🇫🇷.

Et le chien. 

On 3/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, Spyder! said:

More than 2 days without a post in the Planet thread? Unacceptable!

Not high grade but I still love it.

B98D6396-B89C-471E-B853-0FC72C493E6C.jpeg

That is a Doolin cover which CGC doesn’t credit. (shrug)

30 minutes ago, G G said:

Doolin is one of those artists that goes under the radar a lot for some reason. Don't know why, but he is very under-rated IMO.

I agree with you on that, love his covers. BTW not sure he did the cover of #65. It looks more like Whitman to me, but not sure if this has been established?

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

That is a Doolin cover which CGC doesn’t credit. (shrug)

21 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I agree with you on that, love his covers. BTW not sure he did the cover of #65. It looks more like Whitman to me, but not sure if this has been established?

30 is almost definitely a Doolin.  The girl looks like a Doolin girl for sure.

I have never been convinced that 65 is a Doolin, doesn’t really look like his work to me. I don’t know that the cover artist has been established.

5 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I have never been convinced that 65 is a Doolin, doesn’t really look like his work to me. I don’t know that the cover artist has been established.

Here are #65 and #66 for comparison. The spaceman's suit is pretty much identical in both, and Whitman certainly did #66, which makes me think #65 might be Whitman as well, at least partially. On the other hand, while the figure of the woman is very graceful, it does not compare to Whitman's depictions of women on the covers of -for example - #66, #71, #72. The overall cover design of #65 is classic, but I find myself wondering if it might just possibly be a mash up of Doolin's layouts finished by Whitman. But secretly I want it to be a Whitman cover!

Planet Comics #65 CGC 8.5.jpg

756BDD97-7D7A-4BDD-A525-1ADB2E93E292.thumb.jpeg.f440728c6ed3c7dfc12eeea195b0fe70.jpeg

13 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

This arrived today:

this is a poor beat up book(though surprisingly complete) with tape all the way up spine and another piece on a 1.5inch  cover rip... it also has some moisture ripple that goes through the entire book, and significant tanning that is evenly distributed throughout,  BUT... it seems very solid and the feel in your hand is NOT fragile at all, in fact, the pages feel supple... while the smell - is of old newsprint mixed with ancient attic- is intoxicating... this book just demanded I sit and read it!!!

something about this book, it's magic or essence, just remindes me of why I love comics! I MUST go read now...

planet 12 poor.JPG

A powerful intoxicant, that GA paper pulp! It's ill-advised to operate heavy machinery after inhaling that intoxicant!

15 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Here are #65 and #66 for comparison. The spaceman's suit is pretty much identical in both, and Whitman certainly did #66, which makes me think #65 might be Whitman as well, at least partially.

The background of 65 and 66 are very, very similar. 

8 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I now find myself thinking of Bob Lubbers.

65?... I don’t see Lubbers in it, not quite cartoonish enough, and I don’t mean that in a bad way, that’s part of Lubbers charm to me... he’s got nice elements of realism but a bit of cartoonish eggageration that is almost but not quite over the top.

I think 65 is mostly Doolin...the girls face just doesn’t look like Whitman to me.

Tag team of Doolin and Whitman would make the most sense I think as the girls body looks whitmanesque.  I also think the color scheme on 65 isn’t quite as bold as most of the late run FH Whitman’s were... but I don’t even know who the colorist for Whitman’s covers was or if he did them himself.

Pretty sure Whitman did the Rangers 59 (June 1951) cover, and positive he did Rangers 60 (aug 1951)... planet 65 is ?? End of 1951??...which would make one think Planet 65 is Whitman... was Doolin even at FH that late? who knows the covers coulda been done in whole or in part well before the release dates?  love em all anyway.

Edited by szav

16 hours ago, SuperGrover said:

This arrived today:

something about this book, it's magic or essence, just remindes me of why I love comics! I MUST go read now...

Congrats on yours!  Got my 12 a few weeks back from MCS.  Presents amazing.  But sadly missing a couple wraps.  Still, it is a pleasure to behold.  Gotta love the rivets!

Planet 12.jpg