• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

Lol, I was tied up with other things and missed the party.   Probably better for my pocket book anyways.

So what was the final hammer on the Rivet books?   Would love to know if someone can share.  I had my eye on the #2 but never bid.

Warmest Regards

Jason

46 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Well done, fellow Planeteers! Some radiant copies landed here! I know Rick had been hunting down this particular copy of Planet #17 ever since it first popped up, then disappeared from sight before eventually surfacing again after long months. Did anyone keep a record of the CC results on those Rivets? :foryou: Looked like most of them were on track to finish strongly, which if so is heartening after the extraordinarily variable results of the Church auction. Last time I looked, the weakest bidding seemed to be on the #19 - cannot understand why that book does not get the same love as #17 and #18 [apart from the Church copy of course].

The 19 went kind of soft. Probably the PQ was a factor. I thought the Planets faired well, in line with expectations overall, with a few surpassing expectations (2 and 10 went pretty strong- but two mega classics) and the 17 went for a little less than I was prepared to go so I was happy. The Centaur numbers were amazing and this was definitely a coming out party for those books. 

I think I have the final prices for all of them except for #8 and #16.

Planet #1 CGC 5.0 Universal - $6,488

Planet #2 CGC 8.0 Universal (Berk) - $13,800

Planet #2 CGC 6.5 Restored - $1,651

Planet #3 CGC 4.0 Conserved - $1,305

Planet #5 CGC 4.5 Universal - $2,271

Planet #6 CGC 2.5 Universal - $925

Planet #7 CGC 5.0 Universal - $2,655

Planet #9 CGC 5.0 Universal - $2,261

Planet #10 CGC 5.0 Universal - $3,600

Planet #11 CGC 7.0 Universal - $3,600

Planet #12 CGC 8.0 Universal (Cage) - $4,400

Planet #14 CGC 5.0 Restored - $1,850

Planet #15 CGC 2.5 Universal - $3,500

Planet #17 CGC 5.0 Universal - $4,311

Planet #18 CGC 3.5 Universal - $1,300

Planet #19 CGC 4.0 Universal - $650

Planet #20 CGC 6.0 Universal - $2,350

Planet #21 CGC 6.0 Universal - $1,445

I'm not a heavy hitter financially, but some of those final prices do seem very reasonable to me. It just shows that PLANETS are still very reasonably priced overall. 2c

2 hours ago, eschnit said:

F74A6EF9-932E-4F1A-B09B-281967CCC293.thumb.png.5c7f786f6bdb86bc944fa8c2de01600d.pngI've got a dumb question, but I'm interested in learning.  Planet 55, Joe Doolin cover.  Doesn't it look Bakeresque, or is it just me?

Well Baker did work on that book, and he's such a monumental talent that its not inconceivable that Doolin was influenced by him on this occasion. However Doolin was considerably older than Baker so I may be off the mark with that theory. Artists in the GA certainly did 'borrow' and swipe one another's styles all the time. The girl definitely looks like a Baker girl tho', so I can see where you are coming from.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, mwotka said:

Congrats on yours!  Got my 12 a few weeks back from MCS.  Presents amazing.  But sadly missing a couple wraps.  Still, it is a pleasure to behold.  Gotta love the rivets!

Planet 12.jpg

Great colors! (thumbsu

On 3/14/2019 at 10:25 PM, LordRahl said:

Two pickups tonight that I thought looked really good for their respective grades.

planet40_cgc65.jpg

planet48_cgc75_64003.jpg

Gorgeous colors! Is the #40 from ComicConnect? I had a bid on the Hake's copy of #40, but bailed to divert my resources to the gators...

On 3/15/2019 at 11:04 AM, Spyder! said:

I did pick up one of the books last night.  Unfortunately, I did not pick up issue 5 which is the last rivet I need, but I did upgrade my Planet 6.  Yes, a 2.5 is an upgrade! lol

Planet06iii.PNG

One of the coolest early Rivets I think. The menacing bird monster, all the little people, the damsel, the fire swamp, etc., etc.  A real classic sci-fi cover from 1940.