• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,231 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, adamstrange said:

This is a pretty nice upgrade.  But what would really be impressive is an upgrade of the Church copy! :kidaround:

Agreed. I've heard the Vatican has a copy with illuminated gold margins that makes the Church copy look like a meager 1.5! :angel:

On 3/31/2019 at 8:24 PM, Spyder! said:

(worship) One of my very favorites of the entire run. Owning a 5.0 copy of Planet 10 is nothing to sneeze at, but that Church copy is just plain face-melting awesomeness!

2FDFAC18-30A4-4B35-A904-D89A7784FB5D.gif

I suppose that's how the underbidder felt! :insane:

3 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Agreed. I've heard the Vatican has a copy with illuminated gold margins that makes the Church copy look like a meager 1.5! :angel:

I heard about that.  Hand drawn on vellum by vegetarian monks sworn to silence!

On 3/31/2019 at 7:27 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Recent Planet upgrade, part 2 of 2:

IMG_3915.thumb.jpg.34947f4b6aa1d18f8c53073aa002103a.jpg

11 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Stunning! Amazing, the color variation.

i know the debate/discussion is never-ending, with regard to whether the Planet covers with "weak" color strikes are simply due to general fading/bleaching from sun exposure, or due to the shabby printing methods used by Fiction House, where specific ink colors ran low in the ink wells. If you look at the top right corner of the cover (on the 3.5 copy), there is a small blush of blue. This makes me think that the blue dye was particularly susceptible to fading, either from sun exposure or possibly intrinsic to that specific ink color. By comparison, the reds are only slightly dull, arguing against general sun bleaching.

12 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

5 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

i know the debate/discussion is never-ending, with regard to whether the Planet covers with "weak" color strikes are simply due to general fading/bleaching from sun exposure, or due to the shabby printing methods used by Fiction House, where specific ink colors ran low in the ink wells. If you look at the top right corner of the cover (on the 3.5 copy), there is a small blush of blue. This makes me think that the blue dye was particularly susceptible to fading, either from sun exposure or possibly intrinsic to that specific ink color. By comparison, the reds are only slightly dull, arguing against general sun bleaching.

I'd be quite happy to own that 3.5. It doesn't look like it's faded at all to me, just different colours used from the palette for some reason. Its a nice anomaly. Look how clear and vibrant the head in the corner is compared to the higher grade for example. Very unusual example of colour variation. I don't think there is any fading per se.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:07 PM, Spyder! said:

Not higher grade, but this book has been a tough one for me to find in even semi-presentable shape. Doesn’t seem to get talked about as one of the tougher, late run books, but it sure has been a hard one to find for me.  I haven’t seen any really nice copies of 72 since I started collecting Planets last summer.  I can’t wait to get this one in hand.  I really enjoy this cover.

D9B4305B-D007-4A14-A9C3-4E38097F03D1.jpeg

I love the combination of sci-fi/fantasy in this one.  It's definitely my favorite non-rivet.