• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have much respect for Kelly’s viewpoint with a lot more longevity than mine. My perspective will Be from the last 5 years. I would say though, not too many people have bought (and sold) more Planets than I have in that period. Here are my unofficial findings, based solely on difficulty to acquire.

1-9- issue 8 is the toughest I believe followed by 2.

10-19- I believe 10 and 15 to be the toughest but 17 is pretty tough too. I’ve had many 13s. Love it.  

20-29- 20 definitely and 29 in grade can be difficult

30-39- I agree that 30 is the toughest. I’ve not had trouble with 38. 

40-49- 40 in grade is easily the toughest. I’ve not found any of the others to be that HTF

50-59- I would say none are extremely HTF but 52 and 54 can be harder in grade

60-73- I don’t think any of these are difficult in low grade but 65 and 66 are not offered much at 6.0 or higher.  72 was actually super easy for me to get for a while but lately been tougher. 

These are my opinions.  A lot coincide with Kelly’s thoughts. 

Thanks for also putting this together. I know I usually have a ton of questions for you on this, but this really helps 

On 4/29/2019 at 11:07 PM, kelholt said:

This has been discussed before, but always fun to re-visit. As collectors, our opinions/perceptions of book difficulty are based on many factors .... amount of time collecting a run, amount of cons/comic shows attended, amount of $$ in pocket at particular times, relationships with dealers, time spent delving into the various auction houses offerings, and a little thing called luck.

I have collected Planets since 2006 and I mostly chase 8.0 or higher, but make note of any Planet I see in private hands or for sale / auction. To answer your question about which books are super tough, I broke the run down into 7 groups 1-9, 10-19, etc and have listed below the two most difficult books in that group of books that I have found in my time collected Planets. Now for clarification, this is most difficult not most expensive. Sometimes these two do not go hand in hand.

You may agree, you may disagree, but it should be fun “discussing” :foryou: if anyone wants to share any opinions.

1-9 Issues 6,8

10-19 Obviusly all are difficult and yes 13,14,and 15 are all equally tough so between the rest of the issues in this group it would be 10,19

20-29 Issues 20,24

30-39 Issues 30,38

40-49 Issues 40,47

50-59 Issues 51,54

60-73 Issues 61,72

On 4/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have much respect for Kelly’s viewpoint with a lot more longevity than mine. My perspective will Be from the last 5 years. I would say though, not too many people have bought (and sold) more Planets than I have in that period. Here are my unofficial findings, based solely on difficulty to acquire.

1-9- issue 8 is the toughest I believe followed by 2.

10-19- I believe 10 and 15 to be the toughest but 17 is pretty tough too. I’ve had many 13s. Love it.  

20-29- 20 definitely and 29 in grade can be difficult

30-39- I agree that 30 is the toughest. I’ve not had trouble with 38. 

40-49- 40 in grade is easily the toughest. I’ve not found any of the others to be that HTF

50-59- I would say none are extremely HTF but 52 and 54 can be harder in grade

60-73- I don’t think any of these are difficult in low grade but 65 and 66 are not offered much at 6.0 or higher.  72 was actually super easy for me to get for a while but lately been tougher. 

These are my opinions.  A lot coincide with Kelly’s thoughts. 

Just catching up on this thread. I mostly concur with Kelly and Rick.

Interesting, regarding the difficult books, it is amazing how (relatively) accessible most all of the Planet issues have become, no doubt due to increased collector interest in Planet Comics and the rising prices motivating owners to sell their copies. When I got into the Planet game 10-ish years ago, I was lucky to find 3-4 books a year, and rarely the rivets. It was only in the last few years when I was able to fill most of my collection. It's amazing how so many boardies have been able to build up their collections in such a short time.

So here's my own perspective, based on my 10 years of slow-poke collecting, and more recent trends:

1-9: issues 6, 8 (with 2 and 5 close behind)
10-19: issues 10, 15 (with 14 and 17 close behind)
20-29: issues 20, 24
30-39: issues 32, 34
40-49: issues 40, 45 (all generally not so HTF)
50-59: issues 51, 56 (all generally not so HTF)
60-73: issues 63, 65 (with 66 and 70 close behind)

I’d like to see what the boardies here think of as their top 10 favorite covers, but I’m guessing since there are 178 pages to this thread, it’s back there somewhere.  Well it’s a rainy Saturday. It’ll be more fun to go thru this string than all the other stuff I should be doing.

9 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’d like to see what the boardies here think of as their top 10 favorite covers, but I’m guessing since there are 178 pages to this thread, it’s back there somewhere.  Well it’s a rainy Saturday. It’ll be more fun to go thru this string than all the other stuff I should be doing.

I recently re-read the thread from the beginning. Well worth it!

But, since you asked...

My top ten: 14, 10, 17, 15, 13, 2, 33, 66, 71, 29.

14 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I recently re-read the thread from the beginning. Well worth it!

But, since you asked...

My top ten: 14, 10, 17, 15, 13, 2, 33, 66, 71, 29.

No love for the Daddy? :whatthe:

#65 :cloud9:

1 minute ago, Spyder! said:

Yes it is. Nice looking book. 

Im guessing $18k for the final price 

thanks I remembered looking at it awhile ago but I cant check Heritage right now.

I agree I can see it hitting 18k