• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2019 at 9:18 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Congrats!!!! An amazing accomplishment! Not too many can boast of a complete Rivet run. 

21 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

very true, there is only a few.

I’m very happy to check all the rivets off the list. Apart from the two of you, I’m not sure how many others there are.  Maybe jhutton still has his? I know of 4 or 5 other boardies that are super close to all the rivets.

Now I must be patient in assembling the rest of the run.

29 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I’m very happy to check all the rivets off the list. Apart from the two of you, I’m not sure how many others there are.  Maybe jhutton still has his? I know of 4 or 5 other boardies that are super close to all the rivets.

Now I must be patient in assembling the rest of the run.

as far as I know jhutton kept his rivets

21 hours ago, goldenacase said:

I see that the Planet 38 Church sold tonight on C-Link for $1000 below what it sold for a few months ago which is interesting because the two Planets on Heritage earlier this month went for thousands more.

they were lower issue numbers which I think is the difference.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:52 PM, goldenacase said:

I see that the Planet 38 Church sold tonight on C-Link for $1000 below what it sold for a few months ago which is interesting because the two Planets on Heritage earlier this month went for thousands more.

Planet 38 was the last lot to close in the CC auction. There were 20-30 more Planet lots that started after 38 and ended before 38. Very spirited bidding on this one in CC.  I think 38 went higher in CC because 2 or 3 people kept bidding and thought something like “I keep losing other books , I am going to get at least one Church  Planet.” This mentality could have pushed it up several more bids. Also, I think it was somewhat “hidden” in the Link auction. These two factors could have played a role in the lower hammer price. 🔨 💵 

$6,043 in CC

$5,000 in Link

Edited by kelholt

A question for the Planet collecting community.  To press and resubmit or not?  

I’ve never pressed a book before. I have heard rumors for years that grading was stricter in the early days of CGC, don’t know if that’s true. My Planet 7 is an old label 6.5. It has a pressable crease by the “P” in Planet. It also has a small crease bottom right corner and a dust shadow along the bottom edge.  I have wondered if it could grade higher with a press. 

Also, even if I don’t press I want to get it reholdered.  The older holders are just not as clear and I like to see the brighter colors which are visible in newer holders. So really the question is, should I press and resubmit or just get it reholdered? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

12DABF88-6925-44BF-863E-81F67C424816.jpeg

7 hours ago, kelholt said:

Planet 38 was the last lot to close in the CC auction. There were 20-30 more Planet lots that started after 38 and ended before 38. Very spirited bidding on this one in CC.  I think 38 went higher in CC because 2 or 3 people kept bidding and thought something like “I keep losing other books , I am going to get at least one Church  Planet.” This mentality could have pushed it up several more bids. Also, I think it was somewhat “hidden” in the Link auction. These two factors could have played a role in the lower hammer price. 🔨 💵 

$6,043 in CC

$5,000 in Link

6 hours ago, goldenacase said:

Also that its not the highest graded must have some effect on the hammer price ? 

Interesting analyses. During that auction I decided only to go after the issues that were highest graded (and not likely to be toppled by some interloper!). Though I must admit I broke that rule for the Planet 5, with a high bid up till near the end.

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

A question for the Planet collecting community.  To press and resubmit or not?  

I’ve never pressed a book before. I have heard rumors for years that grading was stricter in the early days of CGC, don’t know if that’s true. My Planet 7 is an old label 6.5. It has a pressable crease by the “P” in Planet. It also has a small crease bottom right corner and a dust shadow along the bottom edge.  I have wondered if it could grade higher with a press. 

Also, even if I don’t press I want to get it reholdered.  The older holders are just not as clear and I like to see the brighter colors which are visible in newer holders. So really the question is, should I press and resubmit or just get it reholdered? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

12DABF88-6925-44BF-863E-81F67C424816.jpeg

56 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I am not much of a presser, but that book should improve in grade if pressed.

CGC is once again having Newton Ring problems so keep that in mind if you resubmit.

I would generally say, why bother, unless you’re going to sell soon. But, your point about pressing — since you’re going to re-holder — is a good one. I’d agree with Steve, then, on the press, bearing in mind that sometimes, perhaps rarely but not too rarely, pressing a GA book can go bad.

17 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I am not much of a presser, but that book should improve in grade if pressed.

CGC is once again having Newton Ring problems so keep that in mind if you resubmit.

16 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I would generally say, why bother, unless you’re going to sell soon. But, your point about pressing — since you’re going to re-holder — is a good one. I’d agree with Steve, then, on the press, bearing in mind that sometimes, perhaps rarely but not too rarely, pressing a GA book can go bad.

Thanks for the feedback. I do fear the possibility, even if it’s small, that something goes wrong and the book decreases in grade. I probably will end up pressing it. Should I go through CCS or use someone else?

Also, that’s too bad about the Newton Rings arising again. I have some books at CGC now! :cry:

27 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Thanks for the feedback. I do fear the possibility, even if it’s small, that something goes wrong and the book decreases in grade. I probably will end up pressing it. Should I go through CCS or use someone else?

Also, that’s too bad about the Newton Rings arising again. I have some books at CGC now! :cry:

Jared, would love to hear how this goes.  I like your strategy. I think you win either way.  Can’t imagine it doesn't at least bump you by .5 with a new clear holder to boot.  

I have 1 rivet and a couple of non Planets that I’d like to get pressed....so keep us updated man!