• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

Some nice Planets in next month's Heritage Auction.

Planet Comics #53 CGC 9.6;  the single highest-graded copy even out grades the Mile High copy.  Last sold on HA in 2007.

p53.thumb.jpg.f0c6f5e740bbfb3236db765016dd64be.jpg

Planet Comics #70 CGC 9.2; the single highest-graded copy. Last sold on HA in 2014.

p70.thumb.jpg.5b3aebd88e6f91a450805319ec834e31.jpg

Planet Comics #62 CGC 9.4; The highest-graded copy. Last sold on HA in 2014.

p62.thumb.jpg.a431cdf156c9ac57f958e37182d673cb.jpg

Planet Comics #60 Mile High Pedigree.  I think a Bordie currently owns this one.

17 minutes ago, SamPool said:

Some nice Planets in next month's Heritage Auction.

Planet Comics #53 CGC 9.6;  the single highest-graded copy even out grades the Mile High copy.  Last sold on HA in 2007.

p53.thumb.jpg.f0c6f5e740bbfb3236db765016dd64be.jpg

Planet Comics #70 CGC 9.2; the single highest-graded copy. Last sold on HA in 2014.

p70.thumb.jpg.5b3aebd88e6f91a450805319ec834e31.jpg

Planet Comics #62 CGC 9.4; The highest-graded copy. Last sold on HA in 2014.

p62.thumb.jpg.a431cdf156c9ac57f958e37182d673cb.jpg

Planet Comics #60 Mile High Pedigree.  I think a Bordie currently owns this one.

I would rather own the Church 53 over the 9.6. 

On 6/24/2019 at 8:12 PM, kelholt said:

From what I have been told “none were held out of the auction”.

An amateur question, but did all comics where Fiction House normally distributed always get distributed to every market/retail outlet?

Edited by path4play

I suspect if there was a Church 65 its long lost in the ether of comics out there not to be found again most likely (at least confirmed as the Church book).   Comic are inherently fragile by nature and can be lost many ways (fire, floods, pests and all sorts of nasty things) so it may also have met its end in some way in the past.   I do hope it turns up one day, but the likelihood of this happening is low in my opinion.

48 minutes ago, goldenacase said:

This came today a big thanks to Rick for this! I always wanted to have a golden age 9.8 and for it to be a Planet and a white paged Church as well :cloud9: 

IMG_2348.thumb.JPG.987a797377c2192f3e288fd8adca8395.JPG

A phenomenal book, congrats! There are very few 9.8 Planets in existence. That is a treasure!

On 6/24/2019 at 11:52 PM, adamstrange said:

My suspicion is that Church had his newsstand set aside "one of everything", given how complete and consistent the collection was.  Even if that's the case (and it's the best case for ensuring consistency), there were 18,000 issues over the course of 1937 - 1952 (with some before and after that).  It is not surprising that there would be some doubles and some misses.

I used to own a few Baker St John romance that were supposedly Church copies, bought in a Heritage auction long back. They were by no means pristine copies, and I seem to recall a discussion some time ago on the boards in which it was suggested that when Edgar could not get copies from his newstand, he went in search of other copies. I only mention this because I wonder if poor distribution of certain 'late period' books might have been a factor, and we know that Planet #65 is/was a scarcer than average Planet.

Any thoughts?

On 6/24/2019 at 9:48 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

OK, with this in mind, I am going to say it is probably this one :banana::bigsmile:

I need to crack it back out and smell it now. 

fc.jpeg

Well it certainly looks the part in the scans. Any info on its history? Seems a bit brighter than my copy [which I dont think is a candidate, though I will be taking another look!].

3 hours ago, goldenacase said:

I was surprised how much this book went for yesterday. Is it highly sought after or just two bidders wanting it badly?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Planet-Comics-67-CGC-7-5-1497100015-Science-Fiction-OW-W/333243828611?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Nothing surprises me anymore :smile:

5 minutes ago, comicjack said:

This does surprise me. :insane:

Saying that, someone dropping 1800 bucks on a book that's at best...'nice'...is just nuts IMO. You could get yourself a pretty decent 65 for that money., or a pretty decent rivet. 2c

0_NAadfsBSa71cWuFD.jpg

2 hours ago, comicjack said:

1 hour ago, G G said:

This does surprise me. :insane:

Saying that, someone dropping 1800 bucks on a book that's at best...'nice'...is just nuts IMO. You could get yourself a pretty decent 65 for that money., or a pretty decent rivet. 2c

I will say that my initial reaction was also one of surprise, but to comicjack’s point, nothing should surprise me anymore.  There have been lots a strong sales for Planets lately.  I believe this must have been a couple of high-grade collectors going at it, since 67 is not an especially valuable or sought after issue from the run.  As GG said, you could get a lot of other nice Planets for that much money.  But those late issue Whitman books are also tough in grade.