• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Point Five said:

Here's a Planet Comics #34 cover wrap (not a full book) with an unusually nice color strike. I got a handful of these on Ebay many years ago. Interesting in that it appears it was owned in the 1940s by the writer of the text pages which appeared on the centerfold... presumably kept as a 'file copy' example of his published work for himself, or perhaps to shop around his writing to other publishers. He stapled the cover wrap and centerfold together and signed his name on the centerfold.

planet34cvr.jpg.68885a71566235e64072fc2a87d6e5e2.jpg

planet34cvrback.jpg.c21b00e0b488e19c54d784470a7820ab.jpg

wonderful colors.

19 hours ago, Point Five said:

Here's a Planet Comics #34 cover wrap (not a full book) with an unusually nice color strike. I got a handful of these on Ebay many years ago. Interesting in that it appears it was owned in the 1940s by the writer of the text pages which appeared on the centerfold... presumably kept as a 'file copy' example of his published work for himself, or perhaps to shop around his writing to other publishers. He stapled the cover wrap and centerfold together and signed his name on the centerfold.

planet34cvr.jpg.68885a71566235e64072fc2a87d6e5e2.jpg

planet34cvrback.jpg.c21b00e0b488e19c54d784470a7820ab.jpg

Wow, no kidding. The color on that one is amazing! So hard to find that one with a nice color strike. 

I bought about 20-25 FH complete covers here from Catrick a couple of years ago. Same thing, awsome color. Looks like whoever did it, did it very carefully by gently removing the staples without tearing them. Why? Who knows why people do stuff like that. Still have them and was happy to get them.

I'm guessing that this particular example was a split cover. I can't think of any other reason why the previous owner ran wild with the stapler adding 4 new staples. (shrug)

22 hours ago, G G ® said:

I'm guessing that this particular example was a split cover. I can't think of any other reason why the previous owner ran wild with the stapler adding 4 new staples. (shrug)

The covers aren't split; they look fine, albeit folded a bit sharply. The writer just wanted to firmly secure the centerfold inside and that was an easy way to do it. Because two staples or four staples, who cared back then? Comics were disposable junk just like newspapers, and they were everywhere. In the mid-1940s, the idea that collectors would be fretting about the minutae of cover condition in 2019 would have been absolutely insane. :)