• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

I will list one book that I think is undervalued. All FH collectors seem to chase bold colored covers and usually there is a premium paid for them when they come up. The predominant color to that boldness is Red. I think that Planet 23 is undervalued because I think it should be more coveted due to it being the only Planet cover that has true RED as a base color to the background and therefore you have a greater chance for the red to be bold therefore making the entire book POP. I have seen a few “washed” out 23’s but even washed ones don’t quite approach being fiction house orange instead of red. The green alien on the cover is super cool and very detailed, plus the cover drawn by Zolnerowich.

Official submission to the Planet Undervalued List: Planet 23

12 hours ago, kelholt said:

I will list one book that I think is undervalued. All FH collectors seem to chase bold colored covers and usually there is a premium paid for them when they come up. The predominant color to that boldness is Red. I think that Planet 23 is undervalued because I think it should be more coveted due to it being the only Planet cover that has true RED as a base color to the background and therefore you have a greater chance for the red to be bold therefore making the entire book POP. I have seen a few “washed” out 23’s but even washed ones don’t quite approach being fiction house orange instead of red. The green alien on the cover is super cool and very detailed, plus the cover drawn by Zolnerowich.

Official submission to the Planet Undervalued List: Planet 23

Good case, well made. Which other issues belong on the undervalued list?

Planet Comics #23 CGC 9.2.jpg

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Good case, well made. Which other issues belong on the undervalued list?

Planet Comics #23 CGC 9.2.jpg

That book doesn't get the attention it maybe should but there is a good reason.

Too much distracting text blazed centre stage on the cover which detracts from the overall impression of the artwork IMO.

8 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Further update

Most coveted: #1, #2, #8, #10, #13, [#14,#15], #17, #18, #33, #34, #39, #53, #65, #66, #71, #72

Most undervalued: #23

I’d say your list of most coveted is pretty near complete. Can’t really think of any to add. 28-30 is a great three-in-a-row of covers, but not quite as sought after as the list you have already. 

Issue 24 is another book that I have always thought was undervalued. Seems to be a truly difficult book to locate, and a Zolnerowich cover too.

And I agree on 23. Great cover.

CFD207D9-E990-497A-B7EB-CB827833F064.jpeg

8 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Further update

Most coveted: #1, #2, #8, #10, #13, [#14,#15], #17, #18, #33, #34, #39, #53, #65, #66, #71, #72

Most undervalued: #23

As proud steward of the Zolnerowich name, I vote that the most coveted Planets are all those with covers by Zolnerowich! :roflmao:

Actually, I find this a tough question to answer, since "most coveted" means different things to different people. There is "most coveted" in terms of scarcity, which Gerber and Overstreet have told us would include #2, #5, #8, and #15, though if you look at GPA/CGC census (granted, not a perfect source), this would instead include #14 (19 unrestored copies), #15 (20 unrestored copies), and #6, #12, and #17 (tied at 22 unrestored copies), all data as of 12/15/2019.

On the other hand, "most coveted" in terms of market value, based on recent GPA (again, I know, GPA isn't at all perfect), this would include #1, #2, #5, #8, #14, #15, and #17, limiting myself to the Rivets. One could easily add #18 and #19.

Finally, most coveted, simply in terms of supreme cover awesomeness, is more subjective, though I think there is general consensus for #2, #5, #8, #10, #13, #14, #17, #65, #66, #71, #72. That said, with the right color strike (I suppose preferably in higher grade), almost any given copy of any given issue might be afforded a "most coveted" slot. Such as the recent Planet #18, cgc 6.5, that sold on CC. Or the absolutely scintillating #49 and #52 that Edgar Church used to own.

I guess it follows that based on the Most Coveted list Flex has assembled, any book NOT on the list could qualify for being undervalued. Thus, my Most Undervalued List would include: #6 and #19, with #49, #52, and #56 close behind.

As for Flex's Most Coveted List, I'd swap #33 for #35. The girl's left arm on #33 is weirdly too short IMHO. I'd also swap #53 for #56.

7 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

As proud steward of the Zolnerowich name, I vote that the most coveted Planets are all those with covers by Zolnerowich! :roflmao:

Actually, I find this a tough question to answer, since "most coveted" means different things to different people. There is "most coveted" in terms of scarcity, which Gerber and Overstreet have told us would include #2, #5, #8, and #15, though if you look at GPA/CGC census (granted, not a perfect source), this would instead include #14 (19 unrestored copies), #15 (20 unrestored copies), and #6, #12, and #17 (tied at 22 unrestored copies), all data as of 12/15/2019.

On the other hand, "most coveted" in terms of market value, based on recent GPA (again, I know, GPA isn't at all perfect), this would include #1, #2, #5, #8, #14, #15, and #17, limiting myself to the Rivets. One could easily add #18 and #19.

Finally, most coveted, simply in terms of supreme cover awesomeness, is more subjective, though I think there is general consensus for #2, #5, #8, #10, #13, #14, #17, #65, #66, #71, #72. That said, with the right color strike (I suppose preferably in higher grade), almost any given copy of any given issue might be afforded a "most coveted" slot. Such as the recent Planet #18, cgc 6.5, that sold on CC. Or the absolutely scintillating #49 and #52 that Edgar Church used to own.

I guess it follows that based on the Most Coveted list Flex has assembled, any book NOT on the list could qualify for being undervalued. Thus, my Most Undervalued List would include: #6 and #19, with #49, #52, and #56 close behind.

As for Flex's Most Coveted List, I'd swap #33 for #35. The girl's left arm on #33 is weirdly too short IMHO. I'd also swap #53 for #56.

To expand on my original thought, the sale of a Planet #18 in 6.5 for $4500 underscores a detectable trend, where some issues attract more interest than others, and I wondered how many issues have now joined this select few. It seems not necessarily to be based on aesthetics - ie I dont think #17 and #18 are significantly better covers than #19, but all things being equal, #17 and #18 would likely garner more interest in an auction than a #19 in the same grade - or so it seems to me.

And I prefer #35 to #33 as well, but would the same apply?

Just now, Spyder! said:

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I also believe Planet 12 to be under-valued. It is an awesome cover, great blue background, 2 faced alien getting punched, FREEZE RAY!, bondage girl in chains, etc.

Maybe less popular because the girl isn’t the centerpiece. Still, I think this is a great GA sci-fi cover that consistently sells for way less than what I think it is worth.

4BAA2393-0596-460E-A0D5-980BF8508541.jpeg

I'm with you on that one!

7 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I'm with you on that one!

Thank you!

This was one of my early favorites. Not quite in the same ballpark as 2, 10, 14, 15, and 17 for me, but pretty high up there nonetheless.

No love for this one in the market in my opinion, but very nice artwork.

29 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Thank you!

This was one of my early favorites. Not quite in the same ballpark as 2, 10, 14, 15, and 17 for me, but pretty high up there nonetheless.

No love for this one in the market in my opinion, but very nice artwork.

I agree that 12--especially when it has a decent color strike--is one of the better rivets.  For me, the top tier is 1, 2, 8, 10, and 17 (when it has the red color strike).  My second tier is 6, 12, 13, 14, 18, and 19.  Both tiers are full of awesome books.