• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, Tim Weaver said:

1 and 2 have to be on the most coveted list (especially if the list is 15+ books), don't they?

Some people target no. 1 issues, but for me, Planet no. 1 doesn't have a very exciting cover. No. 2 would probably makes it onto a top 15 list, but no. 1 wouldn't.

My top 10 most coveted would have to be nos. 5, 13, 14, 15, 19, 22, 28, 33, 34, and 39. Nos. 14 & 15 are there because of their scarcity in high grade; the others are there because of the cover art.

Gotta say, I'm impressed by how detailed Henry Kiefer's art is. On this Spurt Hammond, Planet-Flyer page for example, he could have easily chosen to have the laboratory be represented by generic-looking walls and have the robot be one solid color, yet he took the time to draw all these flashing lights and shade the robot in-depth (Planet Comics #3, March 1940).

36.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

On 1/5/2020 at 12:02 PM, Electricmastro said:

Other artists I want to highlight (1940-1942):

Alex Blum:

32.jpg

Robert Webb:

18.jpg

Don Lynch:

36.jpg

George Carl Wilhelms:

51.jpg

Joe Doolin:

10.jpg

Al Walker:

47.jpg

Rudy Palais:

37.jpg

When pulling these images off the Internet, could you please identify the issue(s) they are from? Thanks-

On 1/5/2020 at 3:02 PM, Electricmastro said:

Other artists I want to highlight (1940-1942):

Alex Blum:

32.jpg

Robert Webb:

18.jpg

Don Lynch:

36.jpg

George Carl Wilhelms:

51.jpg

Joe Doolin:

10.jpg

Al Walker:

47.jpg

Rudy Palais:

37.jpg

Thanks for the great survey of artists! No doubt many of the finest artists of the early Golden Age passed through the Fiction House corridors, not only between 1940-1942, but all the way through 1953. Speaking of which, here is a Planet 37 shoutout from 1945 by Lily Renee (courtesy of comicbookplus):

8B1FE92D-F358-44C7-8CFB-117D0848599E.jpeg.afa00ef886195b2a71654ef3e5aa19c3.jpeg

9 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

When pulling these images off the Internet, could you please identify the issue(s) they are from? Thanks-

Ah, I should. Sorry about that. Here they are:

Alex Blum (Planet Comics #1)

Robert Webb (Planet Comics #11)

Don Lynch (Planet Comics #12)

George Carl Wilhelms (Planet Comics #14)

Joe Doolin (Planet Comics #16)

Al Walker (Planet Comics #20)

Rudy Palais (Planet Comics #21)

On 1/9/2020 at 9:46 PM, Electricmastro said:

1946-1948:

Lily Renee (Planet Comics #42):

10.jpg

Chester Martin (Planet Comics #48):

17.jpg

Maurice Whitman (Planet Comics #50):

40.jpg

Enrico Bagnoli (Planet Comics #54):

16.jpg

George Evans (Planet Comics #56):

10.jpg

Bagnoli was the bees knees! His artistry on Futura was spectacular. Splash page from Planet 55:

BA92A4EB-2BEA-41A1-B0B1-C049F5690CC4.jpeg.61e1796a146ba2681b2d38b209474c9b.jpeg

21 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I sent my Planet Comics 15 in to be "re-assembled" /restored back in August 2019. I am finally getting the book back graded.

They leaf cast the covers so the spine could be recreated. It is clear to me that some areas of the cover had some color reapplied while they left other areas untouched.

They leaf cast some of the interior pages that had detached from the stapls.

The entire interior was cleaned as it has a significant water stain.

Staples were rusting and were cleaned.

Overall I am happy with the result, the cleaning seemed to have removed some of the color blotches that were in the orange parts of the cover which I am happy about.

Curious what you guys think.

Attached is how the cover looked detached from the book, under that the reattached CGC'd book.

Front cover.jpg

Planet 15.JPG

Comic Description:
Planet Comics 15 11/41 Fiction House

Grader Notes:
Cover cleaning (High quality) A-1
Reinforcement to centerfold (Archival material, high quality) A-1
Reinforcement to cover (Archival material, high quality) A-1
Reinforcement to interior (Archival material, high quality) A-1
Staple cleaned A-1
Tear seals to cover (Archival material, high quality) Right Center Back Cover A-1
large water stain full left of interior
leaf casting to cover/interior
light spine stress lines to cover
light staining to cover
married cover
moderate color lift right center of front cover
moderate creasing to cover

Looks great!

Just wondering, what options did the restoration person give you, in terms of how extensively to refurbish the book? Was the goal always to obtain a Conserved grade, and if so, what did they tell you about how to ensure that the book wouldn’t end up with a purple label?

There’s been so much chatter and confusion on the boards about what distinguishes Conserved from Restored, any insights you gained through the process would be most informative. :blush:

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Looks great!

Just wondering, what options did the restoration person give you, in terms of how extensively to refurbish the book? Was the goal always to obtain a Conserved grade, and if so, what did they tell you about how to ensure that the book wouldn’t end up with a purple label?

There’s been so much chatter and confusion on the boards about what distinguishes Conserved from Restored, any insights you gained through the process would be most informative. :blush:

CCS spoke with me both through email and on the phone once.

They recommended I send them the book and they would review it.

I sent the book in, they had it a short while and contacted me via email.

It was their recommendation that the book be conserved and provided a detailed list of what things would be done.( see grades notes above).

Conserved is the only option that was given at that time and having zero experience restoring a book (this is my first) I choose to have them proceed.

I was told it would be leaf cast to create a spine to attach the cover to the book. 2 interior center wraps detached from the staples. I actually caused this when I completed detailed scans of the book for Roy Thomas of PS Artbooks so they could release the Planet Comic Compendiums. Laying the book flat and open for scanning popped the 2 interior wraps off the staples. These were leaf cast to repair.

They told me they would give the book a cleaning to remove staining and that it might remove some of the interior water stains. The interior has a very severe water stain that affected the entire interior pages.

Staples were rusted and they told me they could be cleaned to remove the rust (not replaced).

End result is conserved label.

If anyone has anymore questions or want to see any other scans of the book pre conservation just ask I have all the images.

Edited by Artboy99

On 1/14/2020 at 7:08 PM, Artboy99 said:

I sent my Planet Comics 15 in to be "re-assembled" /restored back in August 2019. I am finally getting the book back graded.

They leaf cast the covers so the spine could be recreated. It is clear to me that some areas of the cover had some color reapplied while they left other areas untouched.

They leaf cast some of the interior pages that had detached from the stapls.

The entire interior was cleaned as it has a significant water stain.

Staples were rusting and were cleaned.

Overall I am happy with the result, the cleaning seemed to have removed some of the color blotches that were in the orange parts of the cover which I am happy about.

Curious what you guys think.

Attached is how the cover looked detached from the book, under that the reattached CGC'd book.

Front cover.jpg

Planet 15.JPG

Comic Description:
Planet Comics 15 11/41 Fiction House

Grader Notes:
Cover cleaning (High quality) A-1
Reinforcement to centerfold (Archival material, high quality) A-1
Reinforcement to cover (Archival material, high quality) A-1
Reinforcement to interior (Archival material, high quality) A-1
Staple cleaned A-1
Tear seals to cover (Archival material, high quality) Right Center Back Cover A-1
large water stain full left of interior
leaf casting to cover/interior
light spine stress lines to cover
light staining to cover
married cover
moderate color lift right center of front cover
moderate creasing to cover

Wow, looks amazing! I’m so glad you made the decision to send it in, I’m sure the wait to get it back was long.  Very happy for you to get the conserved grade too instead of restored.  This was originally a green label 2.0 correct? I think it was greatly improved.