• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

When you say beyond that price point, do you mean in terms of multiples? Or is $5K the entry level price for a camp book now, with books that have higher guide prices selling for lower multiples? A pedigree used to be a bonus; I'm not sure how or when we got to the point that the pedigree trumps the book. (Personally, I'd ditch a pedigree book for a non-ped any day of the week if I could upgrade or get better page quality or eye appeal. Apparently some collectors feel differently?)

I’ve had higher multiples offered and higher dollars offered. The awareness of this pedigree seems to have grown recently and the collector interest is strong.  A 7.0 Okajima camp copy of many books would sell for more than a 9.0 lone highest of the same book.  That has been my experience overall. 

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’ve had higher multiples offered and higher dollars offered. The awareness of this pedigree seems to have grown recently and the collector interest is strong.  A 7.0 Okajima camp copy of many books would sell for more than a 9.0 lone highest of the same book.  That has been my experience overall. 

Surely, what we are seeing is because of the historical background, and this puts Okajimas in a different category to other pedigrees, because it is not only about condition per se?

40 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Surely, what we are seeing is because of the historical background, and this puts Okajimas in a different category to other pedigrees, because it is not only about condition per se?

agreed, it is approaching Church level of multiples 

5 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I think people will pay for Okajima Pedigree books, but the Planet 27 is an outlier as far as setting a standard for multiples of guide. Okajima is cool, not Mile High, IMO

1. If you look at the screen shot of the auction bids shown below, after $3,200 only 3 people bid after that. Bidder (feedback number) 345, 334, and winner 685. It is exactly what you hope for in any auction where you own the book, 2 or 3 duking it out at the very end.

AE9ABAFA-EA0A-4EB6-A326-79FC48BBBCC9.thumb.png.0448564299adb0003b5d81fbb9b33262.png

2. I’ve closely watched Planet comics in all venues (cons, dealers, eBay, auctions, etc) for close to 15 years. Not sure if this was a factor for the buyer or anyone bidding but this but this is only the 2nd Okajima Planet I have ever seen. The other was a Planet 64 (CGC 9.2) which I owned and sold to Rick, who sold it to someone else and I saw it sell from that board member in the BST forum here. Each time it sold it did not sell for a Mile high premium. It was not a camp book, the 27 had the Okajima auto on the cover (more coveted style of this Pedigree). All this to say someone(s) May have seen this as a golden opportunity to add a Planet Okajima to their collection and it was now or never.

To restate my point/opinion:

I think people will pay for Okajima Pedigree books, but the Planet 27 is an outlier as far as setting a standard for multiples of guide. Okajima Planet 27 is cool, I would be proud to own it, but this sale should not be seen as a president.

17 hours ago, kelholt said:

I think people will pay for Okajima Pedigree books, but the Planet 27 is an outlier as far as setting a standard for multiples of guide. Okajima is cool, not Mile High, IMO

1. If you look at the screen shot of the auction bids shown below, after $3,200 only 3 people bid after that. Bidder (feedback number) 345, 334, and winner 685. It is exactly what you hope for in any auction where you own the book, 2 or 3 duking it out at the very end.

AE9ABAFA-EA0A-4EB6-A326-79FC48BBBCC9.thumb.png.0448564299adb0003b5d81fbb9b33262.png

2. I’ve closely watched Planet comics in all venues (cons, dealers, eBay, auctions, etc) for close to 15 years. Not sure if this was a factor for the buyer or anyone bidding but this but this is only the 2nd Okajima Planet I have ever seen. The other was a Planet 64 (CGC 9.2) which I owned and sold to Rick, who sold it to someone else and I saw it sell from that board member in the BST forum here. Each time it sold it did not sell for a Mile high premium. It was not a camp book, the 27 had the Okajima auto on the cover (more coveted style of this Pedigree). All this to say someone(s) May have seen this as a golden opportunity to add a Planet Okajima to their collection and it was now or never.

To restate my point/opinion:

I think people will pay for Okajima Pedigree books, but the Planet 27 is an outlier as far as setting a standard for multiples of guide. Okajima Planet 27 is cool, I would be proud to own it, but this sale should not be seen as a president.

I did bid on the book but gave up when it went above what I considered a reasonable maximum. I think i will be giving up on my quest which was to own a Planet from each pedigree that they appeared in. :$

So I haven’t really been buying or selling anything for the last few months. Work got too busy and I’m just now getting to spend more time on comics again.  Looking around the web today, it seems like it’s super dry out there when it comes to Planet Comics. I feel like there is even fewer books on the market now than just a few months ago. Anyone else notice this, or am I just mis-remembering the recent past?

2 hours ago, Spyder! said:

So I haven’t really been buying or selling anything for the last few months. Work got too busy and I’m just now getting to spend more time on comics again.  Looking around the web today, it seems like it’s super dry out there when it comes to Planet Comics. I feel like there is even fewer books on the market now than just a few months ago. Anyone else notice this, or am I just mis-remembering the recent past?

You aren't mis-remembering.  The supply of Planets is pretty limited right now.  And the few nice books that have become available don't come cheap.

23 hours ago, Tim Weaver said:

You aren't mis-remembering.  The supply of Planets is pretty limited right now.  And the few nice books that have become available don't come cheap.

Thanks Tim. I didn’t think I had forgotten.  It’s just crazy to me how little is out there right now.